Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] War on Plastics

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
This is the thing about old people nowadays don't give a monkies about their sons and grandsons with their "What do I care, I'll be dead before it happens" attitude

You mean the generation that use to rinse milk bottles out and put them out to be re-used, the generation who bought beer and soft drinks in bottles then returned them to be used again. The generation that bought loose vegetables, sweets and anything else that was sold by a measure in paper bags. The generation that put newspapers out for the dustman who then put them in the trailer behind the dustcart. The generation who could walk their children more than 100 yards to school and not have to get a car out. The current bone idle know-alls of today have more to answer for.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I went to Tesco in Burgess Hill to day with wife and with this thread in mind looked at the loose fruit and veg and found that everything that you bought like onions,carrots apples etc if put into a bag had to be plastic as that was all that was available if you didnt want them loose in your trolley. The only paper bags available were for mushrooms. Most supermarkets are the same. How many offer paperbags as an alternative?

ffs put them loose in the trolley, what's wrong with you?!

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
This show is a must watch, we ship thousands of tonnes of our plastic around the world, mostly to Malaysia where there are mountains of it, disgusting.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Surely we don't just ship it, we must pay someone to receive it. Perhaps there is an implied expectation that they will actually do something with it rather than dump it by a river.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
You mean the generation that use to rinse milk bottles out and put them out to be re-used, the generation who bought beer and soft drinks in bottles then returned them to be used again. The generation that bought loose vegetables, sweets and anything else that was sold by a measure in paper bags. The generation that put newspapers out for the dustman who then put them in the trailer behind the dustcart. The generation who could walk their children more than 100 yards to school and not have to get a car out. The current bone idle know-alls of today have more to answer for.

Hence the word nowadays in my post

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
What about plastic bags in airports, the resealable zip-lock bags that you have to put toiletries in? Millions of them have to be used across the UK alone each week.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Not for much longer.

Indeed, I read that story the other day. But how long will it take to roll out nationwide? I think Heathrow has invested £50 million in the initiative - it'll be a while before other (major) airports follow suit.

Obscene amounts of packaging in home deliveries is another source of copious waste that needs to be addressed.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
ffs put them loose in the trolley, what's wrong with you?!

We use scan as we shop but how do we scan the carrots, onions, new potatoes etc individually. I am sure the checkout staff would love every customer to turn up with 10 single onions, 8 single tomatoes and 8 single carrots and then have to weigh and scan each one.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

I agree with you but you did forget one of the biggest ones that generation used terry towel nappies and washed them out and not used disposable ones, which must account for a lot of the plastic packaging.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We use scan as we shop but how do we scan the carrots, onions, new potatoes etc individually. I am sure the checkout staff would love every customer to turn up with 10 single onions, 8 single tomatoes and 8 single carrots and then have to weigh and scan each one.

Do it yourself. If you’re only getting a few, put the first veg loose on the scale, select on screen, weigh, print off ticket, scan with handheld scanner, chuck veg in your own bag then weigh the next veg and repeat.

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
It may be selfish but I would rather buy small portions so that I can cook or eat what I want rather than a large quantity that goes off before it is used. If that means more packaging so be it.

Wouldn't expect anything less from your generation; literally would not know what responsibility and accountability meant if you were forced to read the dictionary for 12 hours a day.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
30 times? If doing a weekly shop of fruit and veg.
You buy 30 different types of fruit and veg, blimey.

You weight all the potatoes together - then print a barcode.

Better get used to it. It's coming....

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You buy 30 different types of fruit and veg, blimey.

You weight all the potatoes together - then print a barcode.

Better get used to it. It's coming....

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk
The 30 pieces were totals eg 10 potatoes 10 carrots 10 Sprouts etc. What you are saying wouldn't work if you were picked for a random check

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Time to back out now as until the supermarkets revert to paper bags being available the situation will never improve. and people will continue to use the plastic bags provided.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I take my own bags to the market and my local greengrocer. Not sure what Tesco would think about that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here