Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] VAT

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Is that really so or is that just the case for middle income families? I would have thought the poorer families spend a higher proportion of their income on VAT exempt items such as food, housing and children’s clothing.

I agree that wealthier families don’t spend as much of their income as poorer families so don’t proportionally pay as much in sales taxes but they do eventually end up having to pay these when they do decide to spend or other taxes, often at higher rate if they don’t.

Returning to the system of purchase tax that was in force prior to the introduction of VAT would reduce company administration overheads, reduce the need for VAT inspectors and help reduce the estimated £1.5 billion losses due to fraud.

Do you mean a sales tax?

Good point about VAT. The total gap is actually £13.3B!

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Is that really so or is that just the case for middle income families? I would have thought the poorer families spend a higher proportion of their income on VAT exempt items such as food, housing and children’s clothing.

I agree that wealthier families don’t spend as much of their income as poorer families so don’t proportionally pay as much in sales taxes but they do eventually end up having to pay these when they do decide to spend or other taxes, often at higher rate if they don’t.

Returning to the system of purchase tax that was in force prior to the introduction of VAT would reduce company administration overheads, reduce the need for VAT inspectors and help reduce the estimated £1.5 billion losses due to fraud.

Middle class families are likely paying off a large mortgage. This is tax free wealth creation which is not possible for poor families living in rented accommodation. I’m not making any political point rather just pointing out the regressive features of sales tax because of the relative proportions of income that is used for consumption and saving of the rich and poor.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Sage for example, just added a free module, allowing supporting electronic data to be filed with a VAT return. Other software suppliers did the same. In the end the scary/stressful change, no one likes change, wasn’t as bad as feared.

Plus all non-VAT registered businesses and all businesses with a turnover less than £85,001, could ignore MTD.

Ok for those who were up to date (and had already paid plenty for) with sage what about the millions of small businesses who used spreadsheets or even still kept adequate well maintained and accurate hand written records.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Ok for those who were up to date (and had already paid plenty for) with sage what about the millions of small businesses who used spreadsheets or even still kept adequate well maintained and accurate hand written records.

For those with turnover up to £85,000, they could completely ignore the change. Scare stories amongst whingers and a shite stirring general media, led to unnecessary worry.

For VAT registered businesses above that, they did need to digitise their underlying VAT records. That could be a spreadsheet and then using software to upload it to HMRC each quarter.

We were warned about MTD years ago and it was delayed by a year to help. I suppose things move on. HMRC can now review the accuracy and truth of the raw data, from afar.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
For those with turnover up to £85,000, they could completely ignore the change. Scare stories amongst whingers and a shite stirring general media, led to unnecessary worry.

For VAT registered businesses above that, they did need to digitise their underlying VAT records. That could be a spreadsheet and then using software to upload it to HMRC each quarter.

We were warned about MTD years ago and it was delayed by a year to help. I suppose things move on. HMRC can now review the accuracy and truth of the raw data, from afar.

From a man who speaks with knowledge and authority as it's what he does, innit... :drink:

HMRC.... I've been unjustly punted up the arse by them once, but also treated fairly and decently on another occasion. They're normal people just doing a job, like everyone else.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Without Vat you can’t have carousel fraud, and without carousel fraud at least one Tory peer would have far less money, and with far less money the tiny fraction of ill gotten gains he donates to the party would vanish.
So definitely keeping it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here