Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Are you reading the thread backwards? :shrug:
Thread gets updated because he Ali scored, Bozza took the piss (others agreed), Stat Bro took the piss, you called Stat Bro a tedious dick.

No, I've not read it backwards.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Thread gets updated because he Ali scored, Bozza took the piss (others agreed), Stat Bro took the piss, you called Stat Bro a tedious dick.

No, I've not read it backwards.

Yep resorting to being abusive is not great either

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But I am a tedious dick.
There's a Tim Vine joke, which goes something like this: "I've got this theory that animals look like their owners. You sir, do you own a lama? (audience laughs) I'm just joking sir, I always ask the person sitting in that seat if they own a lama. It's just that this time I got lucky."

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I wasn't talking about the FA Cup, but I hadn't made that clear. His 6 assists were more than I was expecting, but still not good enough. If you want to talk about statistics, how about Solly March, "by far our best winger", managed just 1 goal and 5 assists in the Premier League last season (https://www.premierleague.com/players/8171/Solly-March/stats?co=1&se=210). So, not as good as Anthony Knockaert.

But I would agree, March was our best winger last season, despite the statistics. It's a shame that Izquierdo was no show all season due to injury, otherwise the conversation would be very different.

Again, it was a massively frustrating season and I would imagine that nobody is more frustrated than Chris Hughton.

To be honest, if Chris Hughton was frustrated by our wingers' output, he probably shouldn't have played them as auxiliary full backs for most of the season. And allowing some of his players to get into the box once in a while would've helped with those assists statistics you're talking about.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Bong is the purest example of a player deemed shitehouse and that then becomes impossible to shake off.

I'm always amazed that there is any real debate about Gaeten Bong.

He is what he is - an honest pro, who works hard, defends well, is reasonably quick and strong, is reasonable good in the air, is very difficult to beat one on one, but isn't one to fly forward often on the overlap, is never going to contribute very much in an attacking sense, and whose passing is a little under par.

If you want a solid, athletic, reliable full back, he's your man. If you want a left-sided Schelotto rampaging forward, or a Joe Bennett doing Ronaldo chops and step-overs, look elsewhere.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

He is what he is - an honest pro, who works hard, defends well, is reasonably quick and strong, is reasonable good in the air, is very difficult to beat one on one, but isn't one to fly forward often on the overlap, is never going to contribute very much in an attacking sense, and whose passing is a little under par.

If you want a solid, athletic, reliable full back, he's your man. If you want a left-sided Schelotto rampaging forward, or a Joe Bennett doing Ronaldo chops and step-overs, look elsewhere.

I totally agree. I just think he's a good symbol of the type of football we played under CH for a lot of the time. A pure focus on defensive ability at the expense of attacking output. He's definitely got a role though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

And yet he is very much the go to guy for general shitehousary.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
What I don't understand is why we didn't ever play to feed the wingers and cross the ball in for Glenn to score again and again and again.

Which is exactly how Glenn got 34 goals for Palace in one season. To some extent, I'm surprised he's got as many goals as he has, considering the way we have been playing.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Ali is a good finisher and will be a better player next year. I don't have any doubts about that.

That said. For folks to use one goal in a 5-0 route of Syria to suggest it is a gage of his progression are a little wide of the mark. Syria have won only 4 from games 22 games in the last 3 years. So the opposition really isn't what he will come up against in the PL.

I am absolutely convinced that there will be more goals scored next year. The goals against column may or may not be a price worth paying. Only time will tell on that one.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ali is a good finisher and will be a better player next year. I don't have any doubts about that.

That said. For folks to use one goal in a 5-0 route of Syria to suggest it is a gage of his progression are a little wide of the mark. Syria have won only 4 from games 22 games in the last 3 years. So the opposition really isn't what he will come up against in the PL.

I am absolutely convinced that there will be more goals scored next year. The goals against column may or may not be a price worth paying. Only time will tell on that one.

I haven't read anybody making any claims about his goal v Syria.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I haven't read anybody making any claims about his goal v Syria.

LOL - Your own post #5780 reignited the discussion. Actually the post a couple prior to yours re-ignited it. You just fuelled it by posting the video

To which I then added fairly much exactly what NooBHA just said - that it was a great finish but that Syria's rightback was fast asleep. :lolol: :facepalm:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
LOL - Your own post #5780 reignited the discussion. Actually the post a couple prior to yours re-ignited it. You just fuelled it by posting the video

I wrote about Ali scoring a goal while taking the opportunity to go fishing.

I then flicked onto Twitter and by quite some coincidence the first tweet on my timeline was Ali scoring a goal.
Naturally I edited that into my post about Ali scoring goals.

I'm not entirely sure how that's gauging his progression at the Albion

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
What does expressing themselves mean? If you're an unorganised attack with no passing structure (as we so often were) up against an organised defensive structure, who wins usually? With all things being equal, it's usually the defence. Mourinho is lucky as he's been at big clubs with exceptional attackers. Hughton less so.

Expressing themselves in terms of individuality rather than just do the obvious. Knockaert, Bissouma and perhaps Solly apart, do we have anyone else like that?

I would argue there was structure, but few teams ‘pass’ their way through a defence. You rely on individuality, skill or defensive lapses.

But taking your point about structure, The issue for me, was the level of support to Murray without Gross, and the fact that when we switched to a ‘notional’ 3, the winger on the opposite side to where play was, very rarely tucked in close to Murray. We were successful in the Championship because Baldock got close to Murray.

Some of that has to be natural, as well as coaching, same with pressing, you can coach until you’re blue in the face, but if the player doesn’t have the nouse to implement you’re stuffed.

You are right re defence winning but that is where individuality comes in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here