Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Worst Ever Food You’ve Eaten At The Amex

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I used to love the chicken pies at Withdean. Rendering my mouth scorched earth as I routinely forgot that 5mm of watery pastry separated my lips from molten lava was a fond memory!

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
The hot dogs with loads of onions at Withdean were the best thing about most matchdays! Never once did it give me a dodgy gut.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Very happy anytime I've had a pie, but the burgers I've tried haven't been great. Plenty of other options which have all been reasonable

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Oh God. I'm just getting over some food poisoning so why I've chosen to open this thread I do not know! I can't eat any red meat like pork or beef and I'm a little nervy over steak and chicken but I've never had any problems at the Amex.

Some away grounds have been horrifying - Chesterfield's old ground at Saltergate gave me the shlts on the way home. Boiled burgers that were left over from the last home match I'm sure and given it was mid-February it could well have been some time! Swansea's old Vetch Field also had some dodgy looking hot dogs that were cold! Generally, Lancashire and Yorkshire have always been very good. Bolton, Bury, Blackburn, Bradford, Halifax and Rochdale have always been very clean. They seem to take more care up there.

Sorry Rochdale in the 80's in over 120 league grounds i've been too was the worst for food.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
I've got to say I was really looking forward to trying the pies after reading on here how great they are and found them to be very average.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Pies are generally OK but sometimes get a lukewarm or undercooked one

Sussex Best Burgers typically rubbish. Dry, lukewarm....

Sausage rolls are fantastic but never available in WSL

The fried chicken is pretty good, as are the noodle pots. Overall, seems better than most other grounds to be fair. Palace were charging £4 for a Greggs sausage roll.

Pulled pork is ace. I make my own using pork shoulder in a slow cooker - 8-10 hours cooking ideally.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
If I need to eat at the Amex generally I'll try to get something from one of the stalls outside or by the station as usually they are better quality and freshly cooked or I pop into the student union shop on Sussex campus.

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
I usually try and find a decent pub with food before the game, so very rarely have food at the ground. However, at our first game at the Amex I only secured a ticket about an hour before kick-off so had to resort to a burger, never again. On the other end of the scale, after several recommendations from the people around me, I had the soup at Kidderminster. Now that was tasty

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Anything in a BRIOCHE bun is RUBBISH.

Why is it even a thing!?

That's my only complaint. The pies and ESPCIALLY the FAT SOSIG ROLLS are to die for.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
The pies are crap now. Piglets whored themselves out to every sporting venue in the South and now just dish up liquid with no filling. A great shame.

Sausage rolls are amazing though, if extortionate.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
The veggie range is poor, other than the pie there's nothing of any merit. That said we go for the football not the food!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
The pies are crap now. Piglets whored themselves out to every sporting venue in the South and now just dish up liquid with no filling. A great shame.

Sausage rolls are amazing though, if extortionate.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

This is such a replicated problem in food, and trust me I know having owned a few food businesses.

People love your product and everyone wants it, then the accountants get involved just after you've spent a stack of cash upgrading facilities and ensuring you can meet the demand and plan for future capacity and then it's bang! We want to pay less. Now if you look at most food products it's broken down as follows:

Sells for £5
Bought for £2 (ish)

Of that £2 around 60p is labour, 20p is packaging, 60p is ingredients and 40p overheads and 20p profit.

So when you want to save money it's normally just the 60p for ingredients you have to play with, so to reduce the cost of the product by just 10% you've got to save a third of your ingredient cost or take the hit on profit.

Shopes

Jan 3, 2018
The veggie range is poor, other than the pie there's nothing of any merit. That said we go for the football not the food!

There was a veggie sausage roll at the England women's game but I didn't know about it until I got home. Hopefully it went down well, so it's available next season.

The cheesy chips outside used to be ok but are now disgusting - wet, tasteless, chewy cheese.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here