Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Barber and Ian Holloway on Talksport

Albion_Dave

Jul 4, 2011
Eastbourne
Okay, Barber's statement was "We felt CH didn't get the best out of the new signings"

So we broke our transfer record for a player who wasn't any better, in fact worse than what we already had, then scapegoat CH because AJ was dog turd, brilliant..

P.S. The jury is still out on AJ but you can only judge on what you see, CH gave him enough chances to shine.

Perhaps getting a run of games in his correct position instead of a defensive left midfielder might help give a better balanced opinion.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Okay, Barber's statement was "We felt CH didn't get the best out of the new signings"

So we broke our transfer record for a player who wasn't any better, in fact worse than what we already had, then scapegoat CH because AJ was dog turd, brilliant..

P.S. The jury is still out on AJ but you can only judge on what you see, CH gave him enough chances to shine.

Given how long the club had been tracking Ali J's career before we signed him, it might ... just maybe ... be possible that they firmly believe there's a *lot* more potential in him that simply hasn't been realised in the season just gone. That being the case (and likely a similar story for Locadia, Andone, etc) it makes a certain amount of sense to pin that on Hughton. It's possible they feel that Hughton's defense-first priority didn't allow the attack-minded signings an opportunity to flourish, that perhaps the coaching plan neglected ensuring that those players' strengths were brought out (and instead focussed too much on curbing their attacking instincts in favour of defence).

I can see where the club might be coming to the conclusions they've come to, especially as they no doubt have a lot more data and information on which to base their conclusions than we do. The fact that Ali J was "dog turd" this season doesn't necessarily prove that he *is* "dog turd". There's always a possibility that Hughton polished a rough diamond and produced a dog turd.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

Because he didn't get the best out of them....the answer is literally in your same post.

Barber's not going to say "Thing is, we bought Chris shit players which didn't help". Ali J came to us after being the TOP SCORER in his division. Ignore the nonsense about the dutch league being crap. Clearly we didn't get the best out of him.....

Can't really see how Barber's comments can be seen as incorrect.

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
For me that's a worrying statement from Barber, how many chances did CH give AJ? He was dog turd even March looked a better player.

If anything, I think that supports the assertion the Hughton couldn't get the best out of him. He must have worked on improving AJ in training and felt that he was making progress, otherwise he wouldn't have picked him. So the fact that he failed to improve tells you something about Hughton or AJ. We'll find out next season.

If we look at the signings we made who improved over the season - I'd say Bernardo and Bissouma - against those who didn't - AJ, Andone and we'll throw in Locadia - the main difference is that those who didn't improve are forward players while Bernardo is a defender and Bissouma improved his defensive play. So it might be fairer to say Hughton failed to improve our attacking players (and you could say the same about Izzy). Defensively he did fine.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Given how long the club had been tracking Ali J's career before we signed him, it might ... just maybe ... be possible that they firmly believe there's a *lot* more potential in him that simply hasn't been realised in the season just gone. That being the case (and likely a similar story for Locadia, Andone, etc) it makes a certain amount of sense to pin that on Hughton. It's possible they feel that Hughton's defense-first priority didn't allow the attack-minded signings an opportunity to flourish, that perhaps the coaching plan neglected ensuring that those players' strengths were brought out (and instead focussed too much on curbing their attacking instincts in favour of defence).

I can see where the club might be coming to the conclusions they've come to, especially as they no doubt have a lot more data and information on which to base their conclusions than we do. The fact that Ali J was "dog turd" this season doesn't necessarily prove that he *is* "dog turd". There's always a possibility that Hughton polished a rough diamond and produced a dog turd.

Yes agreed, so we will have to wait and see, Potter will hopefully be able to unlock the potential in AJ and others, and I myself will be rejoicing a resurgent Albion in 2019/20

matt

Mar 19, 2007
If you were paying Barber's wages would you see his frequent media appearances as a worthwhile use of his time, other than building "Brand Barber"? Is there a benefit to the club in having him (or anyone else) trying to justify Hughton's sacking (yet again)?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Any implication that due to this, and presumably his belief that Potter will, we won’t be particularly active in the summer window?

Please say no.
No.

The decision to get rid of Hughton is increasingly looking like a financial one.

Ie cutting our losses and selling Locadia and Ali J and recruiting better replacements = approx £40 million
Paying up Hughtons contract, compensating Swansea and appointing someone who MIGHT improve our misfiring 2018 summer signings = under £5 million
No.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
If you were paying Barber's wages would you see his frequent media appearances as a worthwhile use of his time, other than building "Brand Barber"? Is there a benefit to the club in having him (or anyone else) trying to justify Hughton's sacking (yet again)?

I believe THIS is part of his job. What an odd argument.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The decision to get rid of Hughton is increasingly looking like a financial one.

Ie cutting our losses and selling Locadia and Ali J and recruiting better replacements = approx £40 million
Paying up Hughtons contract, compensating Swansea and appointing someone who MIGHT improve our misfiring 2018 summer signings = under £5 million

Nah, it's a footballing decision IMO. Keeping Hughton made any progression look unlikely and relegation a very real possibility. TB doesn't want the club to regress so he's done what he thinks is best to take things forward. Doubt we'll exit those players - at least not initially. GP will get the chance to see if he can get something out of them. Expect one or two to go in January rather than the summer if he can't. In the meantime we'll bring in others - striker, RB and CAM as priorities, plus replacement of anyone we do happen to lose.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Definition on CEO

What Is Chief Executive Officer (CEO)?
A chief executive officer (CEO) is the highest-ranking executive in a company, whose primary responsibilities include making major corporate decisions, managing the overall operations and resources of a company, acting as the main point of communication between the board of directors (the board) and corporate operations, and being the public face of the company. A CEO is elected by the board and its shareholders.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Because he didn't get the best out of them....the answer is literally in your same post.

Barber's not going to say "Thing is, we bought Chris shit players which didn't help". Ali J came to us after being the TOP SCORER in his division. Ignore the nonsense about the dutch league being crap. Clearly we didn't get the best out of him.....

Can't really see how Barber's comments can be seen as incorrect.

I never said Barber's statement was incorrect, just worrying that they are pinning their hopes on Potter being able to improve AJ, I myself hope so, as other people have said they felt CH misused AJ.

I'm all for innovative and forward thinking, just not sure some of our players are up to the task, time will tell.

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012
I had a listen to TalkSPort last night. I played 5 a side so my usual afternoon listening had long finished.

Simon Jordan was on talking about the Potter signing. I hate to admit it but he actually spoke very well about us as a club and football in general. Heard him a few times and wanted him to shut up. Last night I was a little impressed.

I played well for the first time in weeks so it may have been the euphoria getting the better of me
Kelly and Simon Jordan are excellent and knowledgable, exactly what talksport should be aiming for instead of the ex cricketers talking nonsense. Seems even 5live are dumbing down football analysis as shown by the 606 program going downhill.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Opportunity missed to get the truth about poo-gate out on record once and for all?

Best not. We may well have known the truth all along and used it all to our advantage in the whole brouhaha around moving Gus on. It felt like the club knew the truth and just allowed Gus to stand accused in the public domain for as long as it took for him to resign.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We sacked CH because his press conferences were so ****ing boring..:shrug:
:lol: well that would have been funnier, but it's not really PB.

Maybe the reason PB gave was genuine. Maybe it was more to do with something else, but they didn't want to say (possibly tactics, who knows). Maybe it was also a little reminder for Potter that the club want him to get the best out of the players who haven't performed as well as we'd expect. All we know is that it's a club statement that's been selected as fit for media.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here