Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton leaves with immediate effect

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Pretty much this. Wasn't expecting it to happen once CH was kept on to see us safe. There are a load of potential replacements that I would hate to see managing our club. This is going to be one hell of a big decision.

I’m not sure CH saw us safe, more to do with Cardiff’s failure to beat Fulham or Palace.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I suppose it goes to show that Tony Bloom can make difficult decisions when it matters, and not let emotions get in the way. That's what makes him tick. It's what he does. That said, it must have been an awful decision to make.

Chris will be paid off handsomely, he'll have clubs lining up to welcome him, and he's had some great times here. I'm sure he'll have a cracker of a holiday with his family this Summer and is looking forward to the future. He's only a Brighton fan because the club employed him. When he was the manager of Newcastle, he was a Newcastle fan, and the same with Norwich - so the only thing hurting will be his pride, and I'm sure he'll miss his friends at BHAFC. You may disagree with this, but think about it.

I think it was the correct decision, but by signing the wrong manager it could be made into an incorrect decision. We'll have to wait and see.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Name a STAR player in any of the other bottom 15 teams then. Did you want us to spend £200m before we say Hughton came up short with the resources he was provided? Bloom gave him backing and he produced some of the most dire, boring football the club has seen in a long while

Zaha. Tom Heaton. Camarrassa. Shelvey. Ward-Prowse. Redmond. Vardy. McGuire. Myriad of Portuguese at Wolves. Sigurdsson. Wilson. King. Etc.

None of the attacking signings this season have been better than what we already had at the club and Gross & Izquierdo have been blighted by injury.
Not sure which Superhero you expect in the dugout working with such blunt tools.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Nonsense. You don't know how he has been treated at all, you weren't in the meeting and have no knowledge of how this has come about. Maybe he's OK with it.

Nobody really knows whether this is the right call or not yet. I guess we'll find out next season.

Sacked. Not "left by mutual consent". that tells you all you need to know.

Our instinct is to defend our club at all times, but we are just like the rest of the clubs we've sneered at for treating people like garbage, and making stupid decisions thinking they are something more than they are.

We've now joined that unenviable club with Norwich and Newcastle who look back at doing this and think "what is wrong with us, why did anyone ever think sacking him was a good idea?"

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Well I'm going to have to change my signature now. I'm obviously from the 'Chris in' camp, but I'm also in the 'Bloom camp', so if Tony thinks he can get someone better placed to take us forward, that's good enough for me.

Thank you Chris. You've had us playing the best football I've ever seen us play..... :bowdown:

Have you tried Specsavers?

Goberpiles

Feb 25, 2017
Right decision, would have maybe preferred it if he had stepped down but presume he gets two years money on a sacking.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
What a feckin' disgraceful way to treat him. Thanks for everything, now off you trot.

He'll go down as our greatest manager, a true gent, someone everyone speaks highly of. We've sent him into battle with a Spud Gun and he's lined up against people with AK47s (stolen analogy from Guinness Boy). Somehow he's pulled off survival TWICE, and we do this to him.

Sadly our club lacks the class that our now EX manager had in spades. I;m disgusted, I need time to heal. Thank goodness it;s the end of the season as I'm done with this shite for a bit.

It was ok for him to do that with Ollie Norwood and Tomer Hemed though was it? 2 Players who might have made a difference. Being as he was trying to play our championship side in the Premier league.

I wish Chris well for the future.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
People do not last in these jobs forever, sometimes its just time to start a fresh with new ideas.

CH had his time, and can look back on it as being a success, but there's been rumblings even from the dressing room that the players are fed up with the style and tactics.

His message has just got old, and if the players do not fully buy into it then its only going to get worse.

Who knows if its the right decision, probably wont know until Christmas, or maybe this time next year, but what was being served up week in week out couldn't go on and drift into next season.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
As someone has suggested on Twitter, I’d imagine our expected goals league position, shots attempted, shots on target and touches in the opposition area have had a factor in the decision. Tony Bloom pays attention to these kind of stats.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Our instinct is to defend our club at all times, but we are just like the rest of the clubs we've sneered at for treating people like garbage, and making stupid decisions thinking they are something more than they are.

We've now joined that unenviable club with Norwich and Newcastle who look back at doing this and think "what is wrong with us, why did anyone ever think sacking him was a good idea?"

No it doesn't, none of us have any knowledge of how it went.

Football is a results business, and our results and performances this year have been appalling. It's harsh, but football is a harsh game.

Find me anyone from Norwich who thinks 'Why did we ever think sacking him was a good idea?".

Time will tell whether it was the right call or not. Maybe it isn't, maybe it is. I think it is.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
2-0 at home to Cardiff?

Shit result and shit performance.
But we drew twice with Arsenal. Took 4 points off Newcastle and West Ham and 6 off Palace, all who finished midtable.
Beat United and had Liverpool hanging on and timewasting in both our games this year.
We also got to an FA Cup Semi for the first time in my 33 years.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
So

What are the stats since Dan Ashworth joined?

No real transfer opportunity since his appointment :shrug:

DS.JPG

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Pretty much how I feel. Maybe it will turn out for the better, but right now I just don't feel that hope and excitement, just disappointment.

So, who's available out there, bald on top, can dance a bit and wears white shoes?

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I'm gutted that CH has been sacked, and seriously concerned about the next appointment. Fair enough everyone has opinions on whether it was right or wrong, but going forward we MUST get someone with Prem experience. I can't think of anyone in the Championship that would be an upgrade, only complete gambles. If there aren't many with managers with prem experience, or gambles are the only options we have, then I have to say that only demonstrates what a poor decision it was to get rid of CH. I can see us gambling on someone with the intention of playing "attractive" football, and absolutely tanking it next season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here