Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Rule change for next season

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
[emoji23] Slightly different examples!

My point is that the prevailing opinion can be heavily influenced by perceived self interest, and this may have no relationship with what is best. For example, most teenagers would favour legalization of most drugs. But my scenario was not an 'example' but an analogy. VAR is the future. Fact.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
I hope the FA are looking into this, all the teams are doing it now and it is blatant time wasting.

The point regarding sportsmanship and kicking the ball out when someone is injured is a difficult one. I get why players do it as they don’t wannt to be the one who played on when it could be a serious injury but it’s become a bit boy who cried wolf scenarios.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Another VAR fiasco tonight, that was never a penalty. It’s going to make a farce of so many matches.

I think you might be right. Nobody would have said a word about it being handball if the ref had simply given a corner. There’s going to be even more contentious penalty decisions next season with VAR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think you might be right. Nobody would have said a word about it being handball if the ref had simply given a corner. There’s going to be even more contentious penalty decisions next season with VAR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

He looked over his shoulder as he had time to turn his back and made himself twice as large blocking the shot by extending his arms.

Its only supposed to come into play if the ref has made a CLEAR and OBVIOUS error.
[MENTION=9708]Farehamseagull[/MENTION] was right. That was another VAR fiasco tonight. ANY review seen in slow-mo could be interpreted as being "deliberate", but come on. That ball was smashed and travelled about 5 yards before clipping a players elbow who's back was turned. That was never a "clear and obvious error" to overturn, VAR should not even have got involved. But it did, and it made a highly questionable HUGE call, that has resulted in a team going out.

If BHA were ever on the wrong end of a call like that, I'd be raging.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He looked over his shoulder as he had time to turn his back and made himself twice as large blocking the shot by extending his arms.

His arms were not in any way extended, there were just "there". He was hardly doing the Angel of the North. That ball travelled for about half a second, if that.

Watch that again in realtime, and tell me that was honestly hand-to-ball.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Its only supposed to come into play if the ref has made a CLEAR and OBVIOUS error.
[MENTION=9708]Farehamseagull[/MENTION] was right. That was another VAR fiasco tonight. ANY review seen in slow-mo could be interpreted as being "deliberate", but come on. That ball was smashed and travelled about 5 yards before clipping a players elbow who's back was turned. That was never a "clear and obvious error" to overturn, VAR should not even have got involved. But it did, and it made a highly questionable HUGE call, that has resulted in a team going out.

If BHA were ever on the wrong end of a call like that, I'd be raging.

The ref didn't see the handball so there is the error. Utd appealed straight away and presumably the VAR saw the replay and suggested the ref review it himself. Had they not got involved then a different team would have gone out!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
His arms were not in any way extended, there were just "there". He was hardly doing the Angel of the North. That ball travelled for about half a second, if that.

Watch that again in realtime, and tell me that was honestly hand-to-ball.

Has anyone really said he moved his hand to the ball? Isn't the point that his arm is away from his body and has blocked a shot!

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
VAR isn't the problem. The issue is that the football rules are ambiguous or just not thought through :

1. Offside. Make it where your furthest foot is not any body part. No-one is sure.
2. Hand ball. If it hits the hand tough shit. This deliberate stuff is open to interpretation. Make the rule more black and white.
3. Have proper angles or goal line tech for balls going out of play. Not the "it might be" like the Ajax game.
4. Sort out the clock. "3 minutes injury time" is made up bollocks. Stop the clock when a player is injured. Make injured players go off. Have a clock in the stadium like NFL. Lots of suggestions all better than the current crock of shit.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The ref didn't see the handball so there is the error. Utd appealed straight away and presumably the VAR saw the replay and suggested the ref review it himself. Had they not got involved then a different team would have gone out!

The fact that Utd appealed is neither here nor there - teams ALWAYS appeal. They were bound to. The referee's initial call (corner) was perfectly sound, and nobody could've called that a clear balls-up. Calling that a handball was HIGHLY debatable. Hence it wasn't a clear and obvious error, and the original call should have stood.

Has anyone really said he moved his hand to the ball? Isn't the point that his arm is away from his body and has blocked a shot!

He's jumped and turned his back, the ball travelled less than 5 yards at about 70mph, and clipped his elbow. He had no time to react, We are literally going to get to a point where defenders are going to have to be HANDCUFFED to avoid conceding penalties like that.

A ridiculous and hugely costly call tonight. Its only PSG so I couldn't really give a flying, but if BHA are ever on the wrong end of a call like that, I may not be responsible for my actions.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The fact that Utd appealed is neither here nor there - teams ALWAYS appeal. They were bound to. The referee's initial call (corner) was perfectly sound, and nobody could've called that a clear balls-up. Calling that a handball was HIGHLY debatable. Hence it wasn't a clear and obvious error, and the original call should have stood.

He's jumped and turned his back, the ball travelled less than 5 yards at about 70mph, and clipped his elbow. He had no time to react, We are literally going to get to a point where defenders are going to have to be HANDCUFFED to avoid conceding penalties like that.

A ridiculous and hugely costly call tonight. Its only PSG so I couldn't really give a flying, but if BHA are ever on the wrong end of a call like that, I may not be responsible for my actions.

How can you describe the corner as a sound decision when there is no debate following a replay that the ball hit his arm The question is then whether the handball is considered an offence.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
VAR isn't the problem. The issue is that the football rules are ambiguous or just not thought through :

1. Offside. Make it where your furthest foot is not any body part. No-one is sure.
2. Hand ball. If it hits the hand tough shit. This deliberate stuff is open to interpretation. Make the rule more black and white.
3. Have proper angles or goal line tech for balls going out of play. Not the "it might be" like the Ajax game.
4. Sort out the clock. "3 minutes injury time" is made up bollocks. Stop the clock when a player is injured. Make injured players go off. Have a clock in the stadium like NFL. Lots of suggestions all better than the current crock of shit.

The handball rule is being cleared up, if the arm is outside of the 'natural silhouette' (arms completely down by side), it will be handball if it strikes the arm.

wealdgull

NSC Patron
Dec 7, 2017
The handball rule is being cleared up, if the arm is outside of the 'natural silhouette' (arms completely down by side), it will be handball if it strikes the arm.

Which means any player jumping or sliding will probably be ripe for handball calls. Have to wonder how many would have been given against Dunk in the past couple of seasons if that rule were in play...

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I just can’t see how it enhances the game. Can’t we just accept that referees make mistakes like players and managers do? In fact, they make fewer mistakes.

Goal line technology has been great because it’s instant and not open to interpretation (except if you’re a Liverpool fan). For the cost of lots of delays and flow to a match, we’re still going to end up with arguments about decisions and moaning from managers. Use it for obvious errors like mistaken identities etc but that’s it.

Giving penalties like last night is going to make football a farce, there will be so many free kicks and penalties in a match there’s not going to be any time left for open play. The slow mo images don’t help, they create a totally unnatural impression of an incident.

Football just isn’t suited to it.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Injured players should be treated on the field whilst the game is being played except goalies . I suggest that injuries will drastically reduce

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
The team is down to their last physio since the original 2 were hurt attending to players. It appears they will be out longer than the players they were attending to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here