Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003

First impressions are very positive. I've paired them with pirelli cinturato (or whatever stoopid name they're called). Tomorrow will be a 40 ish mile round trip commute assuming the tubeless set up holds up tonight. Looking forward to it.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Excuse me for dipping back in gents, but I have a question for folks of geeky wisdom. As a part on my own back, I've passed 2k miles for the year. I know some of you boys do that per month, but I'm happy with it. :blush:

When approaching traffic lights of an evening, is there anything a cyclist can do to get a green light?! I was sat at the lights at the Dyke Road/Upper Drive junction a few minutes ago waiting for a green light which only came when a car pulled up behind me.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
A lot of traffic lights have light sensors, so try flashing your lights. There are also sensors on the road, black lines near the stop line. I'm not sure a bike will trigger the sensor, as I've never tried, but you never know.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Excuse me for dipping back in gents, but I have a question for folks of geeky wisdom. As a part on my own back, I've passed 2k miles for the year. I know some of you boys do that per month, but I'm happy with it. :blush:

When approaching traffic lights of an evening, is there anything a cyclist can do to get a green light?! I was sat at the lights at the Dyke Road/Upper Drive junction a few minutes ago waiting for a green light which only came when a car pulled up behind me.

Kudos for the 2000!

I've never worked out how to influence lights. We are too small, unfortunately. But lights don't apply to cyclists, do they?

:wink:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
You fellas will be placed best to share my disbelief at this.

There is now basically a strava for boning. I'm not joking, google iCon.

What is the world coming to?

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
15 examples of really bad cycling advice

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/15-examples-of-really-bad-cycling-advice-300815

We did really well, until...

There’s no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing

The old winter mantra. It is true that well-made, fit-for-purpose winter cycle clothing can keep you warm and dry on a cold, wet winter’s day. But donning a nice jacket will not magically stop hailstones stinging your face, a hurricane-force wind from blowing you into a hedge or your tyres from slipping on ice. There really is such a thing as bad weather, no matter what you wear.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Let your tyres down to increase resistance for training rides:

Significantly lowering the pressure in your bike’s tyres does indeed increase rolling resistance. It also increases the likelihood of punctures, and damage to your tyres and rims. So quite a silly idea.

There you go then. All this lower tyre pressure pressure is a load of old bollox after all. I knew it!

The same will eventually be revealed about the move to bigger and bigger tyres too.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Let your tyres down to increase resistance for training rides:

Significantly lowering the pressure in your bike’s tyres does indeed increase rolling resistance. It also increases the likelihood of punctures, and damage to your tyres and rims. So quite a silly idea.

There you go then. All this lower tyre pressure pressure is a load of old bollox after all. I knew it!

The same will eventually be revealed about the move to bigger and bigger tyres too.

....... and relax.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For reasons not of my doing today's 'Stat News' got lost in the official match thread.

Anyhoo, today I got confirmation that Lil Miss Stat did "well" in the Initial Assessments for Christ's Hospital and they would like to invite her back for the Residential Assessments, in the new year.

We're very pleased but I'm unsure how pleased, does anyone have any knowledge of the process, I'm wondering just how failable this assessment was, looking at you here Pogue!

She should be ok for the Residential assessment, and she'll piss the maths one, but the English paper may well be her downfall.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1062359430979678208[/tweet]

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
[MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION], when [MENTION=12665]TrickyOne[/MENTION] and [MENTION=16679]Hangullton[/MENTION] pass each other in the morning, are they allowed to acknowledge each other?

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION], when [MENTION=12665]TrickyOne[/MENTION] and [MENTION=16679]Hangullton[/MENTION] pass each other in the morning, are they allowed to acknowledge each other?

Depends on what they are riding.

Assuming Tricky is on his road bike then he only has to acknowledge Hangulton if he too is on a road bike or a venerable old soul.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
For reasons not of my doing today's 'Stat News' got lost in the official match thread.

Anyhoo, today I got confirmation that Lil Miss Stat did "well" in the Initial Assessments for Christ's Hospital and they would like to invite her back for the Residential Assessments, in the new year.

We're very pleased but I'm unsure how pleased, does anyone have any knowledge of the process, I'm wondering just how failable this assessment was, looking at you here Pogue!

She should be ok for the Residential assessment, and she'll piss the maths one, but the English paper may well be her downfall.

Sorry mate, I know nothing about this at all!

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here