Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Proms. Last night.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I recorded it last night and have just watched it and was surprised that when they showed the crowds singing Land of Hope and Glory they only went to Belfast and Hyde Park not Swansea or Glasgow. did they not sing it in Wales or Scotland.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
:ffsparr: Christ some people really are offended/outraged by anything

Is it broflakes?

They'll have a lot more to be offended by soon. Hopefully :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yep, it’s tough when suddenly being a white male doesn’t automatically put one to the front of the queue like it has for two thousand years previous. Gutting to see others being given a break.

However, I am poking the bear a bit and I do see both sides. Unfortunately positive discrimination is required so that the less enlightened might realise these minority types are actually capable of doing a good job and we won’t need PD anymore.
White folks did a lot of the damage ourselves by being such ceaseless wankers for so long.

Every hegemony becomes flabby and shit.

Transport yourself back to a pub in the 1970s.

Grinning fools saying 'alright darlin' (it may well be Das Twunt), while leering and chain smoking. Shitty clothes. BO discernible underneath the aftershave. Pinch her arse? Cock like an Italian cheese (stinky and neglected).

Second thoughts, don't. :facepalm:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Anyway, back to the Proms.
Do they still only charge a fiver for a lot of the concerts that aren't'Last night of the Proms'
I always thought that was a terrific idea to get more "ordinary" people to go to live classical music

Yes. I've been many times and they're fantastic value. I didn't go this year so I don't know if it's still a fiver but they are dirt cheap

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I genuinely don’t understand this event. Utter cringeworthy, outdated bollocks in my opinion.

But then I’m not patriotic in the slightest so it really isn’t aimed at me I suppose. I don’t feel especially proud to be born in one particular country by sheer chance.

Liked seeing the Rainbow and EU flags in the 15 minutes I had to endure at the end though.

The people of the Rainbow World feel, proud as do those who love and support the European Union, do you begrudge them their pride?

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
No, I get it. They’re not attempting equal opportunity. They are deliberately going for positive discrimination. For a reason.
And don’t fret, you’ll likely find a black or Asian person will be qualified with a good level of education and appropriate skill set too. They’re not capturing them in nets on the plains of the Serengeti.

Quite what that has to do with The Proms though is puzzling. Aussies, bloody obsessed with immigrants and minorities.

I give up, my point is that the ones in question are not qualified for the positions, just there to fill the quotas.
I have no doubt that there are suitably qualified people from other denominations and nationalities and expect some of them suffer the same fate.
Example, last week I had to go change some light bulbs, because the wattage on the existing was too low and the lights were dim.
I did that and went to the rental office to hand the keys back, on handing back the keys the agent said that they thought that cleaning the bulbs with a cloth would make them brighter, I though they were joking and realised that they were serious, I left in bewilderment.
I later found out that their last position was in cosmetics and they fancied a change, the company required one more of that denomination so they got the job.
Nothing to do with the proms though linked to the banging on about minorities theme, thought some may have picked that up and wouldn't need explaining.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Haven’t read the stuff above, however if you have a hour to be blown away, checkout the bbc Proms on IPlayer and thenHomage to Nina Simone.

The orchestra are sublime and the two ladies who sing her songs are just incredible.

If you like Nina Simone’s work, then please take a look

Just incredible

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Let's make up a non-story, stick an "apparently" in there, make sure we can blame those pesky BLM people who dare to argue for equality, add a little BBC bashing and lo and behold the hard of thinking gammons are outraged over something that probably won't happen and, even if it did, they wouldn't have noticed it anyway. Sweet Jesus.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Let's make up a non-story, stick an "apparently" in there, make sure we can blame those pesky BLM people who dare to argue for equality, add a little BBC bashing and lo and behold the hard of thinking gammons are outraged over something that probably won't happen and, even if it did, they wouldn't have noticed it anyway. Sweet Jesus.
Apparently, BLM are attempting to De-Fund The Royal Philharmonic...

The Lego Stand

Jul 5, 2020
No doubt this great middle class white tradition will be the next event to have to succumb to the black lives matter movement. Probably all the performers will have to 'take the knee' . Why can't it be just left alone and not hijacked the way football has been.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I do watch the Proms, it's very benign. If it's intended to be a fest of patriotic fervour but it butters no parsnips with me. I find the hooray henrys a source of great mirth and the odd 'considerably richer then yow' with his spoilt lady of leisure and her bling. Long may it continue. Where's me EU flag :p

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
I have never been to a Prom, but would like to at some point.

And the last night of the proms would be the last one I would choose. The whole series is a celebration of great music of all kinds - not just classical - and it is rounded off by the most cliche ridden unoriginal load of tosh you could imagine.

And this is how I have felt about it for over 40 years and I don't need BLM to come to that view........ although as The Mole has just pointed out, the itony of it under our present circumstances would ge delicious.

But on top of all that, I do have some sympathy with the views that they may not be suitable material any more.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
To avoid upsetting anyone The Last Night Of The Proms will from this year forward contain only one musical item, a specially commissioned and enlongated version of 4'33" which will fill the entire evening. It is seen as a win win as the special arrangement ensures that the orchestra and singers can be socially distanced, while still allowing as many fans as possible into the Royal Albert Hall.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here