Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I wouldn't be 'happy' with a no-deal Brexit but if the choice is between no deal and ignoring the wishes of 17.4 million, no deal it is.

It's a little bit of a side issue, but one of the things that is often mentioned in the Leaver narrative is that many of the 17.4 million had never voted before (and not because the were too young!) and that this somehow made their votes even more 'valuable'. TBH if someone couldn't be arsed to vote in their adult life, I'm not sure I take this to be a mark of someone whose voice is any more special than those who had. (It's a kind of 'noble savage. narrative.)

birthofanorange

NSC Patreon
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I know you won't agree, but this is exactly what needed to happen. Boris has got things moving. People are fed up with it.

I'm fed up with people who are fed up with it. What an apathetic attitude to one of the biggest events in British history - certainly in modern times.
If you're bored, go and watch Neighbours or something.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
After years of austerity and recessions, how anybody actually wants a no deal Brexit and the disaster it will bring is totally beyond me, I can only assume they must be crackers.
Even if a fraction of the evidence a no deal would bring comes true, it will still be very damaging.
There is too much evidence that no deal will be bad for the country to ignore it.
No deal must be stopped by any way possible.
For god's sake think of the kids and not yourselves.

All valid points, but none of it as important as ‘winning’...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm fed up with people who are fed up with it. What an apathetic attitude to one of the biggest events in British history - certainly in modern times.
If you're bored, go and watch Neighbours or something.

Quite.

There is no sane or sensible reason to rush any of this. In fact if all relevant parties had stayed true to their manifesto promises - to invoke Article 50 only when a plan ‘for a smooth exit’ was agreed, then it would never have come to this sorry shambles.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Think about what you have just said, think.

At no point having Nazis outside Parliament is what we need.

2019 is grim

Listen - there will be a short downturn, there will be Nazis, but we will come out the other end in a much better place.

Say what you like about Boris but he did get the far right out. You can't deny that.

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
Yellowhammer documents will cause the public 'concern'

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/foreign-affairs/brexit/news/106465/andrea-leadsom-suggests-no-deal-documents-will-not-be

The Business Secretary insisted the so-called Operation Yellowhammer documents represented the “worst case scenario” of leaving without a deal rather than a “prediction” and compared it to her being “run over”.

MPs voted in a motion, put forward by former Tory rebel Dominic Grieve on Monday, which demanded that Downing Street publish the information by Wednesday evening.

But Ms Leadsom told BBC Breakfast: “I actually do not think that it serves people well to see what is absolutely the worst thing that could happen.”

“The worst thing that could happen to me is I could walk out of here and get run over. It is not a prediction, but it is something that could happen.

“And simply putting out there all of the possible permutations of what could happen actually just serves to concern people.

“Whereas what the Government is doing is working flat out to ensure that in all circumstances, including in the event of no-deal, we have a smooth transition for the United Kingdom.

“There is so much work underway to make sure that in all circumstances the UK will absolutely thrive once we leave the European Union.”

MPs had called for the release of “all the documents prepared within government since 23 July 2019 relating to Operation Yellowhammer and submitted to the cabinet or a cabinet committee".

The motion also demanded the release of WhatsApp messages and emails involving Boris Johnson's top advisers relating to his decision to suspend Parliament for five weeks.

But the Prime Minister’s spokesman on Tuesday dismissed the MPs’ demands as “both disproportionate and unprecedented”.

“We’ve said we’ll consider the implications of the vote and respond in due course,” they said.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here