Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
There isn't a single country in the world now, who aren't part of a trading club. The last one was Mauritania who is now in the African club.
For some strange reason the UK wants to get out and stand alone.

And therein lies the problem .... the EU is far more than a trading union - the union we voted to join. How many of those other trading unions have a parliament, a flag, an anthem, a council, a foreign minister, courts, a currency ? All the mechanisums of state. Turn the EU back to a purely trading union like all the others and we wouldn't have the current mess.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
They lost and were found guilty, appealed and lost again

Vote Leave broke the law in 2016

Leave.EU is still under investigation by the National Crime Agency

Thank yourself the fraudarendum was advisory

....too complex for his powers of comprehension to grasp.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
And therein lies the problem .... the EU is far more than a trading union - the union we voted to join. How many of those other trading unions have a parliament, a flag, an anthem, a council, a foreign minister, courts, a currency ? All the mechanisums of state. Turn the EU back to a purely trading union like all the others and we wouldn't have the current mess.
It baffles me why there is little talk of re-joining the other European Trade Block - EFTA - which has no political union.

It should be already arranged with a view to becoming reality on Brexit Day + 1.

Come on Johnson - make it so. Otherwise we'll give you a big Picard facepalm.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

As I said, why aren't the politicians leaving the EU, but staying in EFTA? There is nothing to stop us doing that, and it fulfills the referendum result.

Could it be there's more to it, that they're not telling us?

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing

Your post for the first time shines a light for me on what leavers saw as the threat of belonging to the EU, the reason I say that is as a Remainer who accepted the referendum result I am feed up as others probably are with the tribe like groups and polarised views posted on here, I really want to understand what drove those who voted leave.

Out of the list you gave in what order would you rate those that have personally caused you anxiety, financial, physical, emotional harm?

Flag
Anthem
Council
Foreign Minister
Courts
Currency

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Given that turning back the clock isn't an option, what do you think we should do about it ?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
As expected, the Government have loosened the rules on Student Visas in preparation for trade deals with countries like India who will demand it.

Students can now stay for two years after their degree to find a job and potentially settle.

If anyone thought Brexit would lead to less immigration they definitely didn't know what they were voting for.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Your post for the first time shines a light for me on what leavers saw as the threat of belonging to the EU, the reason I say that is as a Remainer who accepted the referendum result I am feed up as others probably are with the tribe like groups and polarised views posted on here, I really want to understand what drove those who voted leave.

Out of the list you gave in what order would you rate those that have personally caused you anxiety, financial, physical, emotional harm?

Flag
Anthem
Council
Foreign Minister
Courts
Currency

Emotional is the main one from what I can gather.
The main emotional reason was 'foreigners'.
Of course, it is now different, and EVERY leaver talks of the EU, and not immigration. Its been enlightening to watch.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
As expected, the Government have loosened the rules on Student Visas in preparation for trade deals with countries like India who will demand it.

Students can now stay for two years after their degree to find a job and potentially settle.

If anyone thought Brexit would lead to less immigration they definitely didn't know what they were voting for.

I saw some right wing nitwit on a vid after the Brexit referendum saying that all the 'pakis' will be going home. Talk about not understanding what you just voted for.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I saw some right wing nitwit on a vid after the Brexit referendum saying that all the 'pakis' will be going home. Talk about not understanding what you just voted for.
But Alp Mehmet, chairman of Migration Watch UK, said the decision was an "unwise" step that would "likely lead to foreign graduates staying on to stack shelves".

Yep, that's part of the wider plan. The Rees Mogg / Raab new world order will rely on cheap foreign labour.

Taking back control !

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Flag
Anthem
Council
Foreign Minister
Courts
Currency

if i may, none of these cause harm. they are artifacts of states, which extend far beyond the remit of a trading block (flag and maybe a "council" to oversee are valid). the EU intends to be a state, accept and embrace it if you prefer to remain.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Why none of the Civil Servants wanted to sign affidavits in the recent Court Cases

Why Mr Gove, when asked if there would there be fresh food, stated that there would be enough food for everyone.

Why the BMA and NHS are so worried about No Deal and why Mogg wouldn’t repeat his criticism of a surgeon outside Parliament

Why the CBI has stated that No Deal will act as a self inflicted drag on the UK Economy for a decade and more.

And we have posters on here who just don’t believe any of it.

Ultimately, Leave does mean Leave but never with a No Deal.

My position and that of many 'remainers'.

It is still beyond me why some folk are so desperate to leave on October 31st. This column wouldn't exist had we not had the referendum. Europe wasn't that high on folk's priorities before 2015.

The sensible thing is to respect the vote but make sure that the nation has as minimal impact in all its service and cultural areas as possible.

Johnson said that every month that passes by costs many millions of taxpayers pounds. Forgetting the billions set aside for a 'no deal' scenario.

We are being told that we need to take back control of a system of which 95% of the laws and regulations the UK government supported and that with a number of opt-outs.

It truly is madness.

If May's deal had been passed we'd already be six months in to the two year period.

If there is blame to apportioned it lays with the hard wing of the Tory party.

Last edited:

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

It is still beyond me why some folk are so desperate to leave on October 31st. This column wouldn't exist had we not had the referendum. Europe wasn't that high on folks priorities before 2015.

The sensible thing is to respect the vote but make sure that the nation has as minimal impact in all its service and cultural areas as possible.

Johnson said that every month that passes by costs many millions of taxpayers pounds. Forgetting the billions set aside for a 'no deal' scenario.

We are being told that we need to take back control of a system of which 95% of the laws and regulations the UK government supported and that with a number of opt-outs.

It truly is madness.

If May's deal had been passed we'd already be six months into the two year period.

Good post. The day after the referendum I was gutted, but my thoughts then turned to hoping we'd be out with a decent deal. Never no deal. Anyone who says that was what the majority voted for is a liar.
The subsequent illegality of the Leave campaigns, and nasty undercurrent of some leave voters has hardened my position a bit though.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

It is still beyond me why some folk are so desperate to leave on October 31st. This column wouldn't exist had we not had the referendum. Europe wasn't that high on folk's priorities before 2015.

It truly is madness.

If May's deal had been passed we'd already be six months in to the two year period.

The EU tax avoidance laws come into effect in January 2020. Yes, the hard right wing of the Tory party, most of whom are very rich.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Brexiters will no doubt be delighted with today's immigration strategy that students can stay in the UK for 2 years after their studies. Farage won't be going away...

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Anyone who has ever worked in Logistics knows what a f up No Deal will be.

MP’s have genuinely no clue as to how it will impact - planners in Logistics businesses can’t quite get to a worse case scenario, because it is such a one- off.

Most Logistics businesses operate Just in Time, so we will have a temporary shambles. But no-one can predict how temporary the shambles will be. And some people will die because of it.

And an unbelievably high proportion of our fellow Brits want a No Deal. The Sun, Mail and Express will have blood on their hands if it happens. But what’s new eh?

Yellowhammer release may yet shut up those who want this shambles

Ah, but of course it will be Fake News......

Turn the emotion off, we are in a shit storm that needs level headed leaders, not millennial whiners. Yes there will be victims of Brexit, some exist already. Newspapers with blood on their hands? Do grow up. The issue needs ending, decisively. From a voter and future pensioner of the UK, and a firm remainer. Leave means leave.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Turn the emotion off, we are in a shit storm that needs level headed leaders, not millennial whiners. Yes there will be victims of Brexit, some exist already. Newspapers with blood on their hands? Do grow up. The issue needs ending, decisively. From a voter and future pensioner of the UK, and a firm remainer. Leave means leave.

I don’t think you can really keep pulling the “firm remainer” card. You are clearly now a leaver. Reluctantly maybe but you’re no remainer anymore.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Brexiters will no doubt be delighted with today's immigration strategy that students can stay in the UK for 2 years after their studies. Farage won't be going away...

Stay to look for a job with a view to stay. No restriction on the kind of job and no cap on numbers.

It was always part of the plan. Next we will see an Amnesty on illegal immigrants.

However - to be fair, that's what leave voters voted for.

:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here