Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] *** Official Question Time Thread 5/9/19 ***

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The next election will essentially be a straight referendum on a No Deal Brexit - if the Brexit people want it to happen, they have to vote Conservative. People who don't want Brexit at all have to vote Labour. Voting for The Brexit Party or Liberal Democrats will prevent either of the main parties getting a majority, which then continues the bonkers chaos. This craziness will only end when Labour form a new government and revoke Article 50 because it's not in the interests of the country.
So you think that if we have an election, Labour will stand on the promise of revoking Article 50?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The position now seems to have boiled down to

a) people exasperated by why it is taking so long generally drawn from both groups and a dangerous place to be as it means they will accept anything

b) remainers who can't believe that anyone still wants to leave given the absurdities of the last 3 years

c) brexiteers who feel that democracy has been some how stopped in its tracks

The gap between b and c are continuing to grow and none of the politicians are addressing any of the fundamentals.

As a remainer in group b I would be placated if someone could tell me why it is all going to be better for me and most of the population after we leave.

I’d add that the leaver line of ‘confidence in democracy if there is a second referendum’ is being heard less and less as they now want a GE and realise (like remainers) that confidence and trust in democracy, Parliament and MPs can’t get much lower (although Bojo the clown is doing his best).

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Truly depressing watching.

Labour squirming on why they don't want a general election just yet
Tories trying to get some pre-election gains by accusing labour of cowardice for not calling an election
Liberals trying to present themselves as somehow above it all and aviable alternative
SNP banging on about how they will fight the election

The election is not the ****ing issue you dickheads.

The only true statement was that this issue was made worse because May wouldn't have cross-party talks.

And this sums up the whole ****ing mess.

Every politician has just been playing parlaimentary ****ing games for 3 years.

Democracy is broken.
**** the lot of them

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
The next election will essentially be a straight referendum on a No Deal Brexit - if the Brexit people want it to happen, they have to vote Conservative. People who don't want Brexit at all have to vote Labour. Voting for The Brexit Party or Liberal Democrats will prevent either of the main parties getting a majority, which then continues the bonkers chaos. This craziness will only end when Labour form a new government and revoke Article 50 because it's not in the interests of the country.

Really? And the MILLIONS that voted for Brexit are happily going to sit by whilst they get shafted and democracy is thrown out of the window?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This.

Fiona Bruce was dreadful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought it was arguably the strongest panel ever, with genuine cut and thrust exchanges and plenty of passion, only punctuated by Bruce's whining.

The low point was when Ian Blackford was trying to explain the detail of why the SNP didn't want a General Election right away and Bruce repeatedly interrupted him looking for a short black or white answer. Sometimes the detail DOES need to be explained Fiona, so use a bit of judgement before sticking your oar in.

I see this was an unscheduled QT - the whole thing felt like Fiona Bruce had been dragged back off the beach a week early and she wasn't very happy to be there.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Really? And the MILLIONS that voted for Brexit are happily going to sit by whilst they get shafted and democracy is thrown out of the window?

Democracy is electing representatives to act on behalf of the people. Which is what happened, and those representatives believe that the UK is not best served by leaving the EU without a viable deal. 3 years is enough - it can't be done, it's already cost however many jobs due to the uncertainty the whole mess has created, not to mention 2 Prime Ministers. It's been a catastrophic waste of time. And all for an opinion poll where a narrow majority of people voted for a fantasy. They had their say, but the reality is that it is not best for the country.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The next election will essentially be a straight referendum on a No Deal Brexit - if the Brexit people want it to happen, they have to vote Conservative. People who don't want Brexit at all have to vote Labour. Voting for The Brexit Party or Liberal Democrats will prevent either of the main parties getting a majority, which then continues the bonkers chaos. This craziness will only end when Labour form a new government and revoke Article 50 because it's not in the interests of the country..........................
.......and the EU says, Tough, no way, you've left and we aren't having you back in. And even if we did, you'd have to give up all those concessions and opt-outs you've had over the years.

Then we can relax and get on with normal life.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I think Fiona Bruce is a fine news reporter and TV host but last nights Question Time a couple of times she lost control as chairwoman and allowed the panellists run away with it, somthing that David Dimbley would not have tolerated

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
i can see him calling a vote of no confidence in himself ??? when they return and voting for it..He would then effectively force the opposition to either say they have confidence in him :) so he stays in power or vote against him so he can then turn round and tell parliament that hes calling an election in November, either way getting a no deal exit..

The Tories have no majority, the Queen wouldn’t call Johnson to form a Government. The next largest party would be asked to try to form a Government . Labour could then form a coalition Government, get an extension to Article 50, and then call an election.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Do you genuinely believe Corbyn doesn't want to leave the EU? He's always been against the EU and now finds himself leading a party that is at odds with his views hence the reason he has been slow in making commitments. So if people want to remain, their best vote for the party that has stood for that all along. Also, remainer tories will find voting for the Libdems far more palatable than voting for Corbyn.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
.......and the EU says, Tough, no way, you've left and we aren't having you back in. And even if we did, you'd have to give up all those concessions and opt-outs you've had over the years.

Then we can relax and get on with normal life.

We can unilaterally withdraw Article 50, I believe? Just withdraw the damned thing and tell them that next time, we might not be such an embarrassing mess and we might actually go through with it! Alternatively - Johnson needs to get on the blower, sort out the Irish backstop and then put Auntie Teresa's deal to a vote again.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Do you genuinely believe Corbyn doesn't want to leave the EU? He's always been against the EU and now finds himself leading a party that is at odds with his views hence the reason he has been slow in making commitments. So if people want to remain, their best vote for the party that has stood for that all along. Also, remainer tories will find voting for the Libdems far more palatable than voting for Corbyn.

I don't honestly think Corbyn cares either way - and that's been a huge part of the problem this whole time. He doesn't lead his party, they're as big a mess as the Conservatives. There is no agreement anywhere other than the Liberal Democrats (and the Brexit party as well, to be fair - the polar opposites) - but do they really have enough strong candidates to form a majority government? It's hard to believe that they could. Theoretically, Lib Dems are the vote to remain in Europe but I don't see how a vote for them, or a vote for the dreadful Brexit party is anything other than ensuring a hung parliament and continued chaos.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
The Tories have no majority, the Queen wouldn’t call Johnson to form a Government. The next largest party would be asked to try to form a Government . Labour could then form a coalition Government, get an extension to Article 50, and then call an election.

They could but civil war might be the outcome as its as bad as the leavers not taking into account views of remainers at the start of this whole process, the way forward must involved leavers and remainers finding a compromise together

Last edited:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Like most politics threads, this has turned into an en suite of the Brexit Thread.

For what it's worth I thought all panellists except the Tory did a reasonable job. Blackford impressed me (he always does); Fiona Bruce not so much. She looked a bit Jess Phillips at times.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
They could but civil war might be the outcome as its as bad as the leavers not taking into account views of remainers at the start of this whole process, the way forward must involved leavers and remainers finding a compromise together

We are almost certainly going to have an extension anyway, why would that cause a civil war?

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Truly depressing watching.

Labour squirming on why they don't want a general election just yet
Tories trying to get some pre-election gains by accusing labour of cowardice for not calling an election
Liberals trying to present themselves as somehow above it all and aviable alternative
SNP banging on about how they will fight the election

The election is not the ****ing issue you dickheads.

The only true statement was that this issue was made worse because May wouldn't have cross-party talks.

And this sums up the whole ****ing mess.

Every politician has just been playing parlaimentary ****ing games for 3 years.

Democracy is broken.
**** the lot of them

None not one of the present lot of politicians should be allowed to stand again for election give the Houses of Parliament to the national trust and build a new parliament in Birmingham all sitting MPs to have an office and hotel room access to gym resturants but no expenses allowed, change the voting system to proportional and take all resonsability away from MPs for the running of any public services there job will be to find the money required

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
We are almost certainly going to have an extension anyway, why would that cause a civil war?

Clearly civil war is an overstatement. But any party that choses to revoke article 50 will be fanning the flames of some very unhappy people.

I'm a remainer but you cannot get away from the fact that the referendum result has to be honoured.
The country needs to move on.

Brexiters have to have their victory and deal with the consequences of that decision.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We can unilaterally withdraw Article 50, I believe? Just withdraw the damned thing and tell them that next time, we might not be such an embarrassing mess and we might actually go through with it! Alternatively - Johnson needs to get on the blower, sort out the Irish backstop and then put Auntie Teresa's deal to a vote again.

I'm not talking about now - I'm talking about once we have left - November 1st. if the politicians finally do their jobs and honour the referendum result (as they voted to do when they called it). Article 50 is done and dusted once we have actually left. Then it is a question of asking the EU nicely if they'll let us back in - and unless we give up all our opt-outs and more they probably won't.

And then we can all relax and get on with normal life.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here