Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Manchester City vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Never had you down as someone who panics at the first sign, I'm surprised.

Far from panicking yet either, but what does concern me slightly is that so far it appears there isn't going to be a Cardiff or Hudds this season. Even Sheff Utd are getting good results. Norwich will be fine with Pukki and Villa have spent enough to survive. Newcastle look stronger this time and I think Watford have enough quality to also probably be ok. Who else can we can consider relegation rivals - West Ham, Southampton, Burnley, Palace...? I think there will be an awful lot of teams in the mix this time round and the points needed will be higher than recent seasons. We look better than last year - but so do most other clubs. Who will finish below us?

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Watching M o t D and we only got out of our own half once

And this is issue with highlights show.

Much of our possession was bold (in intent, not always delivery) and positive but didn’t always result in goal mouth incident and didn’t get shown.

But there was a phase in first half our approach was building decent pressure against City but MOTD clips suggest we didn’t compete.

Can’t recall feeling more positive in defeat.

I think we are witnessing a really profound and positive shift in our football.
Exciting time

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
We really need to start taking those chances in front of goal as it is the only thing letting us down.
If we can score 50% of those we will be top 10.
Once Trossard gets his scoring boots back he is going to attract some stupid offers come the end of the season.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
My worry is that we're not scoring goals. Possession and passing well is all very nice but we need points. Obviously we weren't going to get anything today but I don't understand why Duffy was dropped.
We've played City in the last two years & kept it to 1-0 and 2-0.

I worry about that too. I guess, for me at least, I'm realistic enough to know that a new manager is unlikely to change us that dramatically over night that we go from relegation fodder to mid table boredom. What he is changing is the style and personally I much prefer this style, primarily because what we are doing is creating chances. Ideally we'd be scoring more of them (although every team thinks that), but there are positive signs that this system is having a positive effect on us offensively. I also think, today aside, that we've been quite good defensively this season; Southampton opened the scoring through a moment of brilliance and we restricted WHU to minimal chances across the whole game.

The Duffy decision was an intriguing one. For me he looks the least comfortable in a back 3 and I guess Potter felt he had a free hit to bed Webster in today; for what it's worth, I thought he looked decent. But I still suspect Duffy will play a large portion of games this season as there's always a place for an old school stopper. However, we still conceded 4 at home on the last day of last season with Duffy in the side so I'm not sure his inclusion would've made a massive difference; the reality is they're just much better than us (and most of the league).

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
For me, the not scoring goals is about creating an understanding between players, Bissouma may help there, and maybe AJ on the right if he comes good. I like March but he can't cross. Whatever the players they need to bond, understand and work for each other, we haven't seen that much in the last few years going forward.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Far from panicking yet either, but what does concern me slightly is that so far it appears there isn't going to be a Cardiff or Hudds this season. Even Sheff Utd are getting good results. Norwich will be fine with Pukki and Villa have spent enough to survive. Newcastle look stronger this time and I think Watford have enough quality to also probably be ok. Who else can we can consider relegation rivals - West Ham, Southampton, Burnley, Palace...? I think there will be an awful lot of teams in the mix this time round and the points needed will be higher than recent seasons. We look better than last year - but so do most other clubs. Who will finish below us?

As it was a mistake to read too much into hammering Watford in the first game - it would be a mistake to read too much into this result.

Anyone who thought getting rid of Hughton would lead to mid-table security was daft - Brighton will be in a relegation battle this season, even after spending over £60million.

I do think you are misreading the teams that will be threatened with relegation. Watford still look a shambles even after getting a point yesterday. Norwich will always be bobbing around the bottom 3 - they didn't spend any money and Pukki is very unlikely to keep up his current goalscoring pace. Villa have spent a lot of money but often bringing in so many players - they don't gel (look at Fulham) - now they could come good and pull away, but I suspect that they will be in and around relegation all season. I think West Ham will start putting a few results together - unlike Pukki, Heller is a striker who looks capable of scoring in the PL and his goals will be decisive. Palace will get results as long as they have Zaha and Burnley will grind out result just like they do every year. Sheff Utd have proven tough and usually one of the promoted teams gets an early run of points that givens them confidence. But the wheels could come of there very easily - they have a small squad and likely will struggle for goals as the season goes on. Newcastle have been a shambles and one result will not make their season. Southampton are the most difficult to read.

So - I suspect that it will be three of six from Brighton, Norwich, Aston Villa, Newcastle, Watford, Sheff Utd - with Southampton, Burnley and Palace just above them. You could also add Bournemouth to this and Wolves (who I suspect with suffer from second season struggles and the extra demands of the Europa League). In reality it could be any 3 from the bottom 11 - it is the nature of the PL in today's grab as much money as possible football world.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I’m really liking the new style, it’s what you pay your money for.
However, I can’t believe that Murray is STILL our number 1 striker IMO. I know Maupay has started the last 2 ahead of him but Maupay looks no more of a threat yet than Glenn IMO, I know it’s early days and I know we’ve just played the Champions away and for 60 mins with 10 men so it’s not easy to judge but Maupay doesn’t look that ‘dangerous’ to me yet.
If he were playing for the oppo I’d have a lot of confidence in our back line keeping him out.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Far from panicking yet either, but what does concern me slightly is that so far it appears there isn't going to be a Cardiff or Hudds this season. Even Sheff Utd are getting good results.

Wayyy too early to say. Can easily see Newcastle or Villa struggling big time.

Last edited:

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I’m really liking the new style, it’s what you pay your money for.
However, I can’t believe that Murray is STILL our number 1 striker IMO. I know Maupay has started the last 2 ahead of him but Maupay looks no more of a threat yet than Glenn IMO, I know it’s early days and I know we’ve just played the Champions away and for 60 mins with 10 men so it’s not easy to judge but Maupay doesn’t look that ‘dangerous’ to me yet.
If he were playing for the oppo I’d have a lot of confidence in our back line keeping him out.

When did that happen?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Rather than change the meaning of English words, why not just admit that you were wrong for once?
Yeah, good luck with that.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We played 90 minutes against the Champions with 11 men.
I think you've misread the post. The last two games we've a) just played the Champions away
and
b) [played against Southampton] for 60 mins with 10 men

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Aymeric Laporte could be sidelined for up to four months after suffering damage to the cartilage and meniscus in his right knee in Manchester City's 4-0 win over Brighton.

The 25-year-old centre-back has undergone surgery in Barcelona after suffering the injury in a collision with Brighton’s Adam Webster on Saturday.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...leaves-pep-guardiola-short-options-defensive/

:ffsparr:

I think the “punishment” far outweighs the perceived “crime”. Poor lad. Let’s not be classless about this.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think the “punishment” far outweighs the perceived “crime”. Poor lad. Let’s not be classless about this.

Fair enough but to suggest it was a collision when in fact it was a dangerous rash challenge is pretty galling imo

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Fair enough but to suggest it was a collision when in fact it was a dangerous rash challenge is pretty galling imo

Well, technically it was a collision, resulting from a rash and dangerous challenge, I’ll agree. But if you believe in karma, then the lad has certainly paid heavily. I’m not sure it’s worth getting all het up about.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well, technically it was a collision, resulting from a rash and dangerous challenge, I’ll agree. But if you believe in karma, then the lad has certainly paid heavily. I’m not sure it’s worth getting all het up about.

Karma for me, as an Albion fan, would have been City reduced to 10 men

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here