Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Poor old Bury

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Very very sad. Let's hope some kind of phoenix can rise from these ashes.

I don't think you understand the difference between local sides and professional football clubs either. It's a business nowadays end of. If you don't have sufficient revenue it's going to be very difficult to compete.
As i said the Premier league and it's billions could do a lot more. I hate the greed of it and always have done. As it stands this is my last season as a season ticket holder. I've had enough of football now and the tipping point is VAR. If Var is the future then i don't want to be part of it. It's not the football i grew up to and love.

As it happens I do. Bury IS for now still a professional football club and is also a local team for those that live in or come from that area. My son-in-law is one that goes regularly and is devastated. They will reform in some league, whether they will remain professional or not is to be determined.
Perhaps we should have given up when we were suffering hard times.

If VAR has been your final straw then you should give up. Football supporting of your team under all circumstances is clearly not for you.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
What a complete prat you are.

You clearly are no football fan.

Well thats a very aggressive comment. As well as Albion take interest in all football including non league. Excluding Utd and City there are over 20 FL clubs within an hours drive of Manchester.. All I say with so many clubs, because of so much competition many have very low gates and I am not surprised with wages paid even at this level that clubs struggle to survive. Promotion remains the aim of all and to many they spend what they havent got to try and achieve this. It is just my opinion that in some areas having so many clubs so close to each other is very difficult to sustain and some may fold.
Looks like you are from Worthing. As well as played there many times have enjoyed watching games sometimes when Albion away. Seems to be a very good club and sure they have ambition to progress. You may sometime in future get to National league where am sure you would get gates circa 2000. It is then you have to be sensible by remaining part time and not paying silly wages otherwise that is where your problems start.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What's your solution then? The sad demise of Bury will be an opportunity for another club, just as it was when Maidstone went and before that, Accrington Stanley.

Solutions are complicated, and not easily solved, to just pretend there isn't a problem and suggest one club's demise is another's opportunity - is really the kind of attitude you might have if you were running a Ponzi scheme.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Somehow I feel even sadder for Bury, knowing Bolton have been saved. They would be going down anyway this season, so why not acknowledge the EFL failed to scrutinise the previous takeover with sufficient due diligence 're fit and proper owners and let any possible takeover play out to allow them to continue in a lower division next season. What's the difference in the present outcome and letting them pursue a new owner without the pressure of needing to play games this season?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The theory is that Bury FC still exists, so somebody could buy them and they then join the National League next season and win it thus getting promoted back to the EFL so they, the EFL have achieved very little. They could have let them complete their fixtures , given them more time to find a benefactor or new owner and would probably have still been in the National League next season.

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
The theory is that Bury FC still exists, so somebody could buy them and they then join the National League next season and win it thus getting promoted back to the EFL so they, the EFL have achieved very little. They could have let them complete their fixtures , given them more time to find a benefactor or new owner and would probably have still been in the National League next season.

Why would the National League accept them? They would have to start at the bottom of the pyramid like Aldershot, Maidstone and Hereford did

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The EFL gave Bolton another 14 days to find a buyer but not Bury why was that? Was Burys case more dire and unlikely to be solved?

that would be the sensible conclusion, the EFL saw no serious owner coming forward.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Sky sports reporting a consortium want the chance to prove they have the 7 million funds ready to go

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Why have you so much antagonism towards DK? I know you like to play the cheekiest chappie that everyone loves, but there must be something deep down that keeps you going like this.

??? I think he's a troll and a **** and have him on ignore. :shrug:

And he's allegedly FG. Enough said.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Solutions are complicated, and not easily solved, to just pretend there isn't a problem and suggest one club's demise is another's opportunity - is really the kind of attitude you might have if you were running a Ponzi scheme.

Then start listing some of the legitimate solutions that might avoid this happening again. As for the rest of your post, that's football, like it or not. There are plenty of teams with history playing in the national league, some have even bounced back others haven't. Or would you rather we had a system back in the day when teams had to be elected into the league. Bury have been badly run and without a saving consortium the sad end was inevitable. That said, there may well be a new team that will rise like AFC Wimbledon.

Also, hardly a ponzi scheme where a very small minority benefit from the demise of many. This is a case of one in one out.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

If Bury have to reform, there is NO WAY it will be in the National League. It'll likely have to be semi-professional, in a regional league much further down the pyramid.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
For Dale "not liking football", see anything we were ever told by people who knew Archer.

For him calling El Pres et al negative etc, read Bellotti telling fans to "stop whining" in the programme.

It's unbelievable that these things are allowed to repeat themselves almost 25 years on

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Then start listing some of the legitimate solutions that might avoid this happening again. As for the rest of your post, that's football, like it or not. There are plenty of teams with history playing in the national league, some have even bounced back others haven't. Or would you rather we had a system back in the day when teams had to be elected into the league. Bury have been badly run and without a saving consortium the sad end was inevitable. That said, there may well be a new team that will rise like AFC Wimbledon.

Also, hardly a ponzi scheme where a very small minority benefit from the demise of many. This is a case of one in one out.

One legitimate solution is for the league to ban private ownership of clubs. Run them by means of supporters trusts with accounting rules that govern every significant financial decision.
Another is to ringfence the assets (ground) for the benefit of the community. That way private owners can only buy the footballing part of the club. That should sort the wheat from the chaff.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
One legitimate solution is for the league to ban private ownership of clubs. Run them by means of supporters trusts with accounting rules that govern every significant financial decision.
Another is to ringfence the assets (ground) for the benefit of the community. That way private owners can only buy the footballing part of the club. That should sort the wheat from the chaff.

The german model of ownership is, I assume, what you're leaning to and it may work but how would you introduce that. Existing owners/investors aren't just going to hand over control, especially if they are managing their finances adequately. The Premier League is never going to vote for a change like that and then you have the problem of a supporters trust club progressing through promotion and not being able to compete financially!

That's all well and good for teams with no ambition but how, using ourselves as an example, would we have ended up with the Amex and, probably as a consequence of that, premier league football, if the stadium wasn't owned by TB. Brighton and Hove authority would never have spent the money on a stadium fit for purpose and I suspect in these austere times, neither would any other local authority.

Surely, taking into account where we are now in terms of ownership, the best way forward would be better rules regarding governance by the EFL. eg. monitoring of loans, more transparency over transfer fees, tighter definition of fit and proper etc. However, for there to be changes, I presume the existing owners would have to vote for it!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here