Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Around here, in the Pyrenees, many, many times.

I have been doing a lot of mountain biking this summer and I can't tell you how steep, long, hot and rocky some of the climbs that I have chanced upon have been.

And on the road...bloody Hell.

There is an annual sportive here called The Figure of Hate which is absolutely brutal. It is run by a friend of mine and I had to let him down when he was encouraging me to enter this year as I had not done nearly enough training, and had done way too much eating and drinking.

Graham (who runs it) persuaded me and Mrs. Mahone to register for free, come to the start and cycle maybe the first five km - The Cyclist magazine were there this year, and we were amongst a number of ringers who were there to swell up the crowd at the start for the photos. This was just over a week ago.

Somehow we ended up completing the sportive in blisteringly hot conditions, and the climbs we 'came across' were horrendous. 7500 feet of climbing in less than 60 miles.

Never again. (But I also said that two years ago...)

I should have excluded the geek who moved to the Pyrenees! ::lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I should have excluded the geek who moved to the Pyrenees! ::lolol:

In fairness Somerset isn't exactly Lincolnshire either.

I've got one in my memory but I can't reach it, so for the time being will keep it local.

Sutton, t'other side of Bury hill.

For purposes of the climb direction, you've been ambling around rolling countryside on the north side of the Southdowns.
Every time you pop out into the open you can see the Downs looming.
But you're just rolling around, very little flat roads, so you're either going up or down 3-4%

Then blammo, for no apparent reason, around a blind bend, 500 yards at 20%, then back to rolling countryside.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
In fairness Somerset isn't exactly Lincolnshire either.

I've got one in my memory but I can't reach it, so for the time being will keep it local.

Sutton, t'other side of Bury hill.

For purposes of the climb direction, you've been ambling around rolling countryside on the north side of the Southdowns.
Every time you pop out into the open you can see the Downs looming.
But you're just rolling around, very little flat roads, so you're either going up or down 3-4%

Then blammo, for no apparent reason, around a blind bend, 500 yards at 20%, then back to rolling countryside.

What’s that hill roughly west of Petworth? Rode up it on a WECC ride once. Must of been 20 odd %

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What’s that hill roughly west of Petworth? Rode up it on a WECC ride once. Must of been 20 odd %

There's a few round there, probably Bexley Hill.

It's rare of a hill to be at it's steepest at the top, but that bugger is. :down:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Cow and Calf is a bitch like that too. I do prefer it though, better than being knackered a quarter of the way into a climb.

Nah t'other way round for me, I'd much rather grind it out, 'recover' then feel 'better' for the top.

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
Kidd's Hill! I've got my eye on that for tomorrow (Tues). I'm not expecting too much trouble.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Kidd's Hill! I've got my eye on that for tomorrow (Tues). I'm not expecting too much trouble.

Just so long as you're not expecting a hill either.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I conquered it. It was a bit more uphill than I was led to believe from certain posts! I don't ride East Sussex often, but I enjoyed today - lots of steep little bumps.

Nice one :thumbsup:

Horrendous heat aside. Did it ever really feel like a 'wall' to you?

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Nice one :thumbsup:

Horrendous heat aside. Did it ever really feel like a 'wall' to you?

:ffsparr:

Maybe, just maybe, the wall reference is visual given the straightness especially the last bit?

Funny that none of the mouthy fukkas are in the top 10% eh? [MENTION=16399]pb21[/MENTION] is the guvnor and he has not been pissy knickered about it. Proper classy fella.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Maybe, just maybe, the wall reference is visual given the straightness especially the last bit?

Funny that none of the mouthy fukkas are in the top 10% eh? [MENTION=16399]pb21[/MENTION] is the guvnor and he has not been pissy knickered about it. Proper classy fella.

I don't sprint it because I assume The Wall is the next climb!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Oooh get you :catfight: :lol:

Nah, it's a fair cop. It is just straight through a line of trees so I see where the wall description comes from. It just felt over rated to me.

I'm not saying I find any climb easy btw. Just that I puzzle why some have been given iconic status over others in the area.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

Thanks for the mention moto, but I would heavily caveat my time with being a good few years ago now. I would, unfortunately, be nowhere near that now!

(although I would add I have done it ~30 seconds quicker pre strava :bla: )

In terms of the hill itself, I would definitely say its a hill! 1.3 kms at 10% isn't easy whatever form you are in if you ride it fast!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks for the mention moto, but I would heavily caveat my time with being a good few years ago now. I would, unfortunately, be nowhere near that now!

(although I would add I have done it ~30 seconds quicker pre strava :bla: )

In terms of the hill itself, I would definitely say its a hill! 1.3 kms at 10% isn't easy whatever form you are in if you ride it fast!

Pah - Even having to put it in km's just to make it look like anything than bumping up a kerb.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Oooh get you :catfight: :lol:

Nah, it's a fair cop. It is just straight through a line of trees so I see where the wall description comes from. It just felt over rated to me.

I'm not saying I find any climb easy btw. Just that I puzzle why some have been given iconic status over others in the area.

Its okay fella, I hold you and your riding in high regard. I think we all know tougher climbs. I don't think they get too fussy about the numbers otherwise it would be too clinical. A formulaic rating system would be somewhat boring. Its a work out in a lovely part of the world and no mistake.

Maybe we should do our own version of the greatest SE climbs?

Anyway, well done [MENTION=705]Jeep[/MENTION].

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Its okay fella, I hold you and your riding in high regard. I think we all know tougher climbs. I don't think they get too fussy about the numbers otherwise it would be too clinical. A formulaic rating system would be somewhat boring. Its a work out in a lovely part of the world and no mistake.

Maybe we should do our own version of the greatest SE climbs?

Anyway, well done [MENTION=705]Jeep[/MENTION].
Butts Brow would certainly be right up there for one of the greatest SE climbs for me.

Trouble is, Eastbourne is generally a bit of a shit hole and not at all trendy, so I doubt it'll feature anywhere.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here