Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Martin Perry standing down

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He sorted out some trivial fan stuff for me, for example when the old mailing list did the 'oh Gary Hart' challenge (singed programmes for the person most accurately predicting OGH's goal tally). Actually I seem to recall [MENTION=355]Juan Albion[/MENTION] won that one year (predicting zero goals :lolol:)

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Why? Knight and Perry - together with the rank and file Albion fans - saved the club.

It was somewhat acrimonious when he left the club

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Was never going to end well when after all the long years of hard graft by DK and MP to win planning permission then somebody else sweeps in - fan or no fan - with a bigger cheque book and says cheers lads I'll take over from here on in. Reckon I'd be pretty pissed off too

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

The winner writes the history book. We who were there know he pulled us back from the brink and sunk years of his life into it. Sad

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I am not disputing anything of what he did but he no longer owns the club

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I saw Dick on the train to Wembley. Just sitting there with his bag eating a sandwich. It was quite sad.

I thanked him for everything.

To be fair, he is bombarded with affection by loads of fans at every game. Better to have that than endless prawn sandwiches and speeches by Barber about how we're all together forever because this means more blah blah blah

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am not disputing anything of what he did but he no longer owns the club

And so deserves absolutely no credit for anything he did. Even from the man who employed him. I hate big business.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
He sorted out some trivial fan stuff for me, for example when the old mailing list did the 'oh Gary Hart' challenge (singed programmes for the person most accurately predicting OGH's goal tally). Actually I seem to recall [MENTION=355]Juan Albion[/MENTION] won that one year (predicting zero goals :lolol:)

:albion2:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
In Dick's book there is a clear passage which explains where his and Martin's relationship fell apart. Basically Martin jumped ships to work with Tony Bloom which you can understand.

They both have their own idiosynctratic views of history and Martin's critique of Dick's book contains as many errors as it corrected.

However a few things about him are key:

He worked like a trojan and whether or not he was a supporter at the beginning he certainly is one now

When dean wilkins was sacked, martin was the only board member to disagree. However when all the other directors who wanted it to happen disappeared into the night, martin stayed with dick to tell dean the news. Collective responsibility there

The phone call i got from him in ireland wanting to know exactly what had happened at the longford game as all mickey adams had done was asked derek allen to sort out their flights home. I had ended up crashing a wedding at the main hotel in longford so probably wasnt in the best place to talk at 8am on a sunday morning

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
And so deserves absolutely no credit for anything he did. Even from the man who employed him. I hate big business.

Indeed, it would appear being in the Premier League is quite an issue for several fans unfortunately it is what it is.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Indeed, it would appear being in the Premier League is quite an issue for several fans unfortunately it is what it is.

Whether you're an Albion from the Goldstone / Withdean or Amex era, who did what, when and why to keep the Albion afloat, pales into insignificance now TBH.
At that time it was a collective effort from all involved, whether they got on or not, we're here now :thumbsup:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Martin is retiring as he's 72 but will be Vice President of the club. Dick Knight is still President.

Martin is helping with AITC so sort of semi retirement.

Martin has given us
1. The stadium
2. The training ground
3. An extension to the training ground for the other areas of the club.

And IKEA with 600 houses to boost Tony's and the club fortunes.

He's done well for us and deserves his retirement.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
A true hero of the club. Shame to see the original heroes go

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Outstanding man and outstanding contribution to the club we love. His dedication to the cause was constant through all the ups and downs. Right up there as a true, true legend of the club.

el punal

To be fair, he is bombarded with affection by loads of fans at every game. Better to have that than endless prawn sandwiches and speeches by Barber about how we're all together forever because this means more blah blah blah

I wish I was given endless prawn sandwiches, I rather like them. Nothing wrong with Barber either he seems to be a rather good egg - a bit better than the Chief Executive and Chairman of the mid 1990s don’t you think? :drink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here