Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Royal Marines Storm Iranian Ship

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
" It's the bloody EU quotas.... We aren't allowed to land them " this really is epic bullshit as for years boats have had no qualms about dumping perfectly good fish of low value to make room for more valuable species.

Even that I would be highly suspicious of. Landing ‘more than wuota’ Just means you have to trade it a bit below market value to any of the hundreds of customers waiting back at shore.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If Corbyn ever gets into power we will have a navy to compete with Switzerland.

Anyone got some needle and cotton? I am in desperate need. My sides have split with the violent laughter triggered by BG's tremendous joke.

Remember that great joke in school in the 60s? What's the smallest book in the world? The Italian book of war heroes. Something to do with Gallipoli, and the piano wire bloke, but I was too young. I'm sure its effing hilarious, though.

Anyway, back to FACTS, when Corbyn gets in we won't have any navy. So BG's 'joke' will then look rather stupid. :shrug::rolleyes::rave::cheery:

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Might be the other way round ie EU capturing British boats carrying WTO breaking contraband.

I’d like to see them try. I’m looking forward to smuggled goodies, like Bombay duck, North Korean tellys” (only one channel option) and Iranian hair gel being on sale widely.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Looks like the Iranians are going to up the stakes and capture a British tanker in retaliation...…. do we actually have ANY British tankers left ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48882455

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Looks like the Iranians are going to up the stakes and capture a British tanker in retaliation...…. do we actually have ANY British tankers left ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48882455

No, no we haven't, but the OIL on board will be.

I wouldn't worry too much, go on Wikipedia and look at what the Iranian 'Navy' consists of (50 year old destroyers, some home made frigates and a few old Russian Subs)

Would take about an hour and half to sink the lot.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
But you didn't restrict your statement to allies, did you.
BTW my query about Russia's naval power was excluding their Pacific fleet but even then, they are always going to have far more than our four nuclear weapon - equipped vessels.

They are the third biggest Navy in the world we are 5th like I said!

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Maybe he will. And I'm sure the right wing press and the people who generally like (and profit from) violence and war will pillory him for urging caution. And maybe in time the consensus will be that we should have exercised more caution and be less quick to use military force.

......or may be not

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
No, no we haven't, but the OIL on board will be.

I wouldn't worry too much, go on Wikipedia and look at what the Iranian 'Navy' consists of (50 year old destroyers, some home made frigates and a few old Russian Subs)

Would take about an hour and half to sink the lot.

Unless the Russians help them out???

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Lots of issues about fishing rights, always has been and always will be, leaving the EU won't change any of that as fish don't respect territorial waters. Also HUGE problems with quotas and who owns, or should I say, has the right to exploit a species / fishery.

There was a TV prog this week called Celebrity Trawlermen, usual fly on wall/put softies in harsh conditions and watch them crack.... There was an interesting moment when they were dumping Cod of a decent size and a " celeb " asked " why are we dumping this lovely fish? " answer.. " It's the bloody EU quotas.... We aren't allowed to land them " this really is epic bullshit as for years boats have had no qualms about dumping perfectly good fish of low value to make room for more valuable species.

Without wishing to turn this into a Brexit thread mark ( insert any number you can think of ), fisherman can't 'trade' their quotas across species. So once they have caught say as much herring as they are allowed the land, they can't then dump some to allow they to up their cod quota.

Discards is an horrific result of EU fishing policies and has only recently been started to be tackled ...... thanks to Hugh whatisface. The EU didn't take kindly to his campaign !

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Without wishing to turn this into a Brexit thread mark ( insert any number you can think of ), fisherman can't 'trade' their quotas across species. So once they have caught say as much herring as they are allowed the land, they can't then dump some to allow they to up their cod quota.

Discards is an horrific result of EU fishing policies and has only recently been started to be tackled ...... thanks to Hugh whatisface. The EU didn't take kindly to his campaign !

Dumping low value fish at sea has always gone on, you even see quite a bit of it locally, you quite often get scores of Dogfish washed up dead after being dumped.. often what happens is that a boat will trawl for a particular species but 90% of what they catch they don't want so they get thrown back dead.

It's easy to always blame Europe when it comes to fishing but remember we wiped out our own Sardine/Pilchard fishery off Cornwall 100 years ago( Slowly recovering now ) wiped out North Sea Herring and North Sea Cod and ended up trying to steal Iceland's Cod during the Cod Wars in the 70's ! .

More recently Bass has been the TV chefs fish of choice and the vale of Bass has shot up over the last 10 years to the extent that British boats targeted them with gill nets and slaughtered them ! The EU now have put very strict quotas in place that even extend to recreational anglers being banned from taking a Bass home for 6 months of the year in order to protect the stocks.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Dumping low value fish at sea has always gone on, you even see quite a bit of it locally, you quite often get scores of Dogfish washed up dead after being dumped.. often what happens is that a boat will trawl for a particular species but 90% of what they catch they don't want so they get thrown back dead.

It's easy to always blame Europe when it comes to fishing but remember we wiped out our own Sardine/Pilchard fishery off Cornwall 100 years ago( Slowly recovering now ) wiped out North Sea Herring and North Sea Cod and ended up trying to steal Iceland's Cod during the Cod Wars in the 70's ! .

More recently Bass has been the TV chefs fish of choice and the vale of Bass has shot up over the last 10 years to the extent that British boats targeted them with gill nets and slaughtered them ! The EU now have put very strict quotas in place that even extend to recreational anglers being banned from taking a Bass home for 6 months of the year in order to protect the stocks.

But your post suggested, incorrectly, that by dumping low value fish they could up their quota of high value fish - they can't. It might well provide them with enough space to catch more of their quota of high value fish but is doesn't alter their quota limits. Discards are a result of EU quotas .... not fish value. Catch too much cod and all they can do to stay within their quota is throw some of it back.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So if the tanker is from Iran (breaking certain sanctions) and headed for Syria (breaking others), what happens to it now?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here