Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Sussex vs Northants County Championship Division Two at Hove

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
But they're not that young.

Ok, Salt is 22 and Rawlins is, I think, 21 but Wells, Chopra, Evans, Brown and Wiese are all in their 30s (as is van Zyl). Haines is the only other genuinely young batter.

I think the problem is there are too many bits and pieces cricketers: Wells probably keeps his place because he bowls, Thomason and Beer are described as all-rounders - but they're not really. They're trying to turn Garton into a batsman now ... and he's someone with genuine pace.

I think Chopra is a step in the right direction though; we need another one

You think they’re trying to move garton into a batter? At the expense of his bowling ?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
To be fair, he's only played on FC match this season, let's give him a chance to bed in. And Salt has just come back after a bit of a lay-off. Don't know what Wells' excuse is

Give him a chance? He's on a 3-match loan deal!

Maybe he'll have got the hang of things in the 2nd innings of his final game?

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Fairy nuff - I thought I heard the commentators on Radio Sussex say that was by 399 runs. Whatever - today was unquestionably awful, record or not!

Apparently Northants biggest ever runs win.

Utterly bizarre game - was there for the first two days.
Northants absolutely dreadful this season were 99-6 and ended up winning by 393 runs. Just doesn’t seem possible.
Wakely their captain resigned a couple of weeks back.
Only Brown and Robinson looked like they could care less in this game.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Luke Wright interview is on iPlayer. Link is on Adrian harms twitter.
Clears it up, if nothing else.
Complete mess.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
What is your take on Sussex?
No simple answer.

The people in the key jobs at the club are essentially good people who I support as being well qualified and suited to their roles. At times within the last 12 months there have been bits of success. It isn't a long running tale of abject woe in all formats.

Some of the players getting opportunity would not, on current form, be near the first team during a stronger period but we are where we are. I hope the T20 goes well. Jason Gillespie should be as good as just about anyone out there to coach the team through that campaign.

Sussex cricket fans are used to more downs than ups over history. No reason why that should be different in this era (in fact the opposite is true...).

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
You think they’re trying to move garton into a batter? At the expense of his bowling ?

In the last 2nd XI game, he went in at number 4 but didn't bowl in either innings. In Sussex's 50-over games, he went in at 3 or 4 but bowled only rarely.

Here's a guy who was in the Ashes squad (admittedly as an emergency replacement) as a fast bowler just a couple of years ago. He's a 90mph bowler - but highly erratic - iron out those faults.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
In the last 2nd XI game, he went in at number 4 but didn't bowl in either innings. In Sussex's 50-over games, he went in at 3 or 4 but bowled only rarely.

Here's a guy who was in the Ashes squad (admittedly as an emergency replacement) as a fast bowler just a couple of years ago. He's a 90mph bowler - but highly erratic - iron out those faults.
Yes. He was developing brilliantly until he started getting injured. Such a shame if that 90mph talent + batting potential and fielding excellence is thwarted longterm.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here