Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] I don't like football any more.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I agree with the opening poster. I've said it all along, VAR will ruin football. It's like a dripping tap effect, before we know it the whole game will be changed.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
But if the referees are not going to enforce 'Encroachment' then why have the rule in the first place? Yes, an inch or two will make little difference but we've all seen penalties scored when there has been two or three attcking players 2 or 3 yards inside the box and nothing is ever done, so why have such rules? It happens in Cricket. A bowler taking a wicket with his foot 1cm over the bowling line will be deemed a 'no ball' and the wicket won't stand.

The 6 second goal keeper rule is another one that bugs me that is never penalised either :
The six second rule came as an amendment to FIFA's Law 12 back in 1998, which states that “a goalkeeper is not permitted to keep control of the ball in his hands for more than six seconds.” If he holds it for a longer time, the opponent is awarded an indirect free kick. - When does that ever happen?

I know I'm being pedantic but the two mentioned above are not supposed to be discretionary, but fully enforced.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
No consistency in var. Not even within the same game, never mind, division, league and country level. We find ourselved watching clips stopped and started in slow motion from different angles the Nth officials have, trying to establish if its a clear and obvious referee mistake. Clue. It normally isnt if you need to watch it umpteen times. Annoying

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I wonder how many times we're going to get fvcked over by VAR next season. Our goals are rarer than hens teeth as it is. It'll be awesome to have one chalked off because Solly gave their leftback a filthy look. You can guarantee the big teams will regularly be getting off the hook even more than they already do.

GOOOAAAALLLLL!!!

VAR: "Hang on, hang on....was that a little tug there by Stephens on Henderson in the buildup ?"
REF: "Ummm...didn't see anything. But if there was, we'd better give it. Jurgen went BOOLOO last week about that pen, he's not stopped going on about it"
VAR: "Right-o. Put it up on the big screen ?"
REF: "Best not mate. Let Gary and the boys pick the bones out of it later"

PEEEEEP *square fingers* - "No goal. Free kick Liverpool. Get out of my face now Anthony, or you're booked son"

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I wonder how many times we're going to get fvcked over by VAR next season. Our goals are rarer than hens teeth as it is. It'll be awesome to have one chalked off because Solly gave their leftback a filthy look. You can guarantee the big teams will regularly be getting off the hook even more than they already do.

GOOOAAAALLLLL!!!

VAR: "Hang on, hang on....was that a little tug there by Stephens on Henderson in the buildup ?"
REF: "Ummm...didn't see anything. But if there was, we'd better give it. Jurgen went BOOLOO last week about that pen, he's not stopped going on about it"
VAR: "Right-o. Put it up on the big screen ?"
REF: "Best not mate. Let Gary and the boys pick the bones out of it later"

PEEEEEP *square fingers* - "No goal. Free kick Liverpool. Get out of my face now Anthony, or you're booked son"

This

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Of all the VAR fvck-ups, I think this is my current favourite

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ck-penalty-half-time-mainz-freiburg-var-chaos

Bundesliga game last year, the ref denied a handball penalty appeal right on half time. Then 6 minutes INTO half time, following a VAR review, the ref decides to award the penalty after all. The players are summonsed from the dressing rooms and come back out, the penalty is taken and scored, then all the players trooped right back off again for the rest of the half time break.

Glorious, but for all the wrong reasons.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I agree with the opening poster. I've said it all along, VAR will ruin football. It's like a dripping tap effect, before we know it the whole game will be changed.

Maybe the rot could be stopped earlydoors by switching to a tennis-style arrangement. Take the call away from the match officials and give the managers up to three VAR calls each per game. Job done :thumbsup:

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
No consistency in var. Not even within the same game, never mind, division, league and country level. We find ourselved watching clips stopped and started in slow motion from different angles the Nth officials have, trying to establish if its a clear and obvious referee mistake. Clue. It normally isnt if you need to watch it umpteen times. Annoying

Exactly. Because it’s run by refs
Across the Premier League there are probably two decent refs. The rest are either subject to stupid mistakes, or mistake ridden.
The difference is now that they will have more opportunity to make the wrong call.

I’m seriously considering my live support for the Albion after next year.

Reasons

1. VAR
2. Cost
3. Club dictaks getting worse
4. The way Hughton was sacked

UTA

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
I see the Premier League have said that VAR will not be used next season during a penalty to check whether a goalkeeper is an inch off his line. This will be up to the referee to decide. Can't wait for the first manager to moan when a penalty is "illegally" saved and not spotted by the officials that "VAR isn't being used when the technology is there, and this decision could cost this club a squillion pounds etc".

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Maybe the rot could be stopped earlydoors by switching to a tennis-style arrangement. Take the call away from the match officials and give the managers up to three VAR calls each per game. Job done :thumbsup:

It would just end up being abused. Managers would use frivolous VAR appeals for all kinds of bobbins towards the end of the game, just to break the game up and run the clock down (in addition to multiple substitutions).

No thanks.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
What I advocated a long time ago is for FIFA to have paid a minor European league to be the guinea pig for a season-long trial of VAR where all of the glitches could have been ironed out over a large number of matches.

They could have paid £24 million to - say - the SPL in Scotland - so £2 million per club - and applied VAR over all the 228 matches. By the end of the season over that many matches they would have encounter 95%+of the problems it is possible to encounter with VAR, then they could roll it out across the world.

That is essentially what happened. It was trialled in the netherlands, then Germany, France & Italy and is now being brought into the premier league. Personally I think VAR is ok, it’s the new rules being backed up by VAR is the issue.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
I've started to notice that people on this site are so adverse to change it's unreal. A lot of posters want players to fail so the team stays the same. For a long time, a lot of posters wanted the manager to stay the same because they were cared of who we would bring in. Yes VAR is going to change the game, but not so massively as people make out. You old people need to realise change happens. This will benefit the game.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Is not the wholesale move to VAR in part driven by the fact that there's no way to tell the difference between a crooked referee and an incompetent one, and match-fixing is already a problem?

Gambling -- or the fear of it -- s driving the sport, to an ever-increasing extent.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
I've started to notice that people on this site are so adverse to change it's unreal. A lot of posters want players to fail so the team stays the same. For a long time, a lot of posters wanted the manager to stay the same because they were cared of who we would bring in. Yes VAR is going to change the game, but not so massively as people make out. You old people need to realise change happens. This will benefit the game.

Apples, oranges, compared. Or the fallacy of composition, if you prefer. All resistance to change is the same, regardless of any differences in the things changed.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

Some changes have been positive I think goal line technology has been an amazingly well thought out and implemented idea.

I struggle to see the benefits VAR is bringing and it is creating more questions than answers. Countless examples already where even after VAR decisions have been given there are split opinions on the decision afterwards. And that is the problem even after replays it is largely subjective and personally think the endless pouring over video replays should be left to the dull pundits.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
This. It was to be used for “clear and obvious errors” only. IE absolute howlers, ghost goals and the like.

I've mentioned this in another thread, but this is the crux of the problem. Fans are confusing 'clear and obvious error' with 'understandable error'.

For example, a goal should not be awarded if the scorer was offside. If a goal is awarded to someone who was offside when they scored it, a clear error has been made. It may be completely understandable that the linesman missed the offside because it was only a couple of millimetres, but even a couple of millimetres offside is offside and thus a goal cannot not be awarded. The clearness of the error is not the same as how easy or understandable it was to make that error.

This is an article making a similar point with the legal basis of the term.
https://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2018/6/20/17484152/world-cup-2018-var-video-replay-review

Don't get me wrong, I would much prefer if the standard for VAR was to overturn 'unreasonable errors' or 'errors that are not understandable'. If you have to slow it down and look at multiple angles to be sure an error was made, forget it. Play on. If you can look at one or two replays without fancy slow-mo or computer assisted on-screen graphics, and know a mistake was made, then overturn it. Personally I would go as far as to say it should only be used for the sorts of decisions it shouldn't need to be used for (e.g. awarding a goal when it goes out for a goal kick - you shouldn't need VAR to get that right).

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Funnily enough I was recently thinking about football having a 'Glastonbury style' year/whole season off every once in a while. I honestly believe it'd be less missed than you'd think, passions rekindled and all that when it returned. Obviously it wouldn't work for many reasons, but...

I've done it a few times in the past. I find making the effort to go to every home game can start to feel more of an obligation, especially when it's so samey (i.e. several seasons of middle finishes, or several seasons of fighting relegation). It's a concern of mine about our premier league run. Too many seasons of aiming for 17th and I'll get bored, but at the moment I run the risk of struggling to get a season ticket after a year or two off (obviously not an issue should we go down)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Overall I like VAR. There’ve been so many major and less major injustices every season and in internationals. It can only be a good thing.

Brighton would’ve gained hugely in season 2017/18. A study showed we had the most net errors against, costing us several league places and several £m.

They just need to speed up the process.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here