Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Chris Houghton still unemployed

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
or the club just stopped paying and it's up to him to take them to court. If you're sacked, you stop getting a salary.
Well that's definitely not the case. When a company sacks someone, they follow procedure with warnings and the employee having representation etc. That's not the case with Chris's departure. It's not alleged he did anything wrong, the club simply wanted a different manager in. They'll have either paid his contract, or they'll be paying him monthly as before. He won't have to take them to court.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
no surprise he's not got a job yet, considering the panning we got on Sky/BT/BBC for being so negative !
Yeah. I mean, who really wants to get promoted to the Premier League anyway.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
When he was here there is no doubt that he was looking at us being his long term project, and with the extended contracts he was given he had every reason to believe this.

At his age now though I would question whether he would really want to set his heart and soul on any other long term project, which most football jobs are, so he I reckon he would probably be better off coming in as an emergency manager to some club in trouble mid season. There is good money to be made in short term fix and save contracts and I am sure he is in a position where he doesn't even have to work anyway.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I really don't see the point in these sort of threads, it's quite tedious living in the past. I noticed another thread about Gus the other day and I'm quite sure McGhee threads still get bounced despite the years passed. Let it go !

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
it's the way you perform when you get there that matters ?
The first thing that matters, is getting there. The second thing that matters, is staying there. Chris has proven himself pretty skilled in both departments.

I imagine there will be Championship jobs available for him, but he'll either want a decent Championship team with a realistic chance of promotion, or another PL job, which will be hard to get.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
My first thought on this was exactly as you say. CH does not trust inexperienced young players and will only be successful (imo) in taking a team out of the Championship if he has experienced players to form the backbone. The talk of needing to see players at least 30 times in training before he trusted them sounds possible (no idea if this was fact or supposition btw).

Derby seem determined to go for the young player approach, this does not sound like a job made in heaven for either Derby or CH

Depending on his current relationship with TB it’ll be interesting to see if he wants to take some players from the Albion to his new club, assuming he still wants to be involved in day to day football pressures. I cannot imagine that he NEEDS a job

Difficult to argue with that, I don't think it's a good fit either.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I hope not as well, if you don't want to repeat our cycle. He'd get you up within a season or two but all the evidence suggests the initial PL campaign will then be a backs to the wall effort with more experienced players to the fore. Of course, whoever you DO get in may not win anything at all with kids. That's your risk and reward decision.

You've summarised my existential crisis quite well - Obviously, the goal has to be to get promotion to the PL, otherwise what is the point? But the idea of doing it just to mean the revenue (that will soon be join by similar expenses) is £mmm isn't terribly appealing to me. Clearly it's somewhat more appealing to Mel Morris. The idea of spending said £mmm simply to survive in the PL is equally unappealing so to get promotion with some of our academy talent and then have those players achieve something in the PL is what I'd love to see.

Confused thinking I know but ideally we keep Lampard and carry on in the same direction.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I hope not as well, if you don't want to repeat our cycle. He'd get you up within a season or two but all the evidence suggests the initial PL campaign will then be a backs to the wall effort with more experienced players to the fore. Of course, whoever you DO get in may not win anything at all with kids. That's your risk and reward decision.

I think the issue is if you are a clubs board what do you care more about promotion or youth development? That’s not to say you cannot have both but Hughtons record of getting teams up with all the riches that comes with would trump any youth development philosophy in the short term (as it did at Brighton despite our academy investment)

However I would suggest the reason we have not seen hughton on any championship short lists would be more to do with him looking for a premier league job than being overlooked by the championship promotion chasers

If you ask me, it's probably youth development, obviously the board would champion promotion first but with development a very close second.

I wouldn't read to much in to those 'short lists', would probably describe them as 'media guesswork lists'. Personally I would be quite surprised to see Hughton rock up at a PL club.

D

Deleted member 2719

For me? Why Thank you......i may have been a diehard Hughton supporter but I am now firmly in the Potter is King camp.....i am easily pleased.....so pleased we employed Potter and not

Pardew
Hughes
Alladyce
Neville
On
And
On
And
On
And
On.....
?.....

All this switching I can now see the Jeremy Corbyn in ya matey and come to think about it there are other similarities.:wave::kiss:

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
One of those two jobs is West Brom, right? That would be a bit awkward after the issues between Bong and Rodriguez. So it's only really one job available, and that's a Boro side that not too long ago got bored with Aitor Karanka's defence-first football. I don't see them being in a rush to go with another defensive minded manager.
Chris Hughton is not a 'defensive minded manager' - he works with what he has to get the job done.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Are you sure? I suspect that, having been sacked, his contract was either paid up, a financial agreement reached or the club just stopped paying and it's up to him to take them to court. If you're sacked, you stop getting a salary.
Cashflow

His stock is very high, he'll be waiting for the right job with the right backing. Not sure WBA or Boro (or Derby) fit the bill. My money is still on Leeds
This I agree with - people under-estimate how highly Hughton is thought of - and if this was six months ago Hughton would have walked into the Ireland job.

Lampard embraced it. I don't think Hughton can, or would be willing to, do that. As mentioned elsewhere, we had the best academy team in the country this season, 18 year old Jayden Bogle played 40+ games, we had another 18 year old on the bench in the play off final. Progress on that front must be continued.
Someone else who thinks that Hughton doesn't know how to play attacking football.

I hope not as well, if you don't want to repeat our cycle. He'd get you up within a season or two but all the evidence suggests the initial PL campaign will then be a backs to the wall effort with more experienced players to the fore.
And of course he did that when he had Newcastle in the top half of the PL.

I hope not as well, if you don't want to repeat our cycle. He'd get you up within a season or two but all the evidence suggests the initial PL campaign will then be a backs to the wall effort with more experienced players to the fore.
The average age of his starting 11 at Newcastle was 23-24

You say that, but under Hughton's watch, Solly March played for the first team, ruptured his cruciate at Derby, recovered, played for the England U21s and won Young Player of the year award.
What he said

Rafa might be off. Would Newcastle want him back, would he go back?
Ashley - no - and if it was Ashley absolutely not.

Chis Hughton still unemployed
Is it cos he is black ?
Now that is a pertinent question.

When he was here there is no doubt that he was looking at us being his long term project, and with the extended contracts he was given he had every reason to believe this.
And that was the case right up to the moment he was sacked.

At his age now though I would question whether he would really want to set his heart and soul on any other long term project, which most football jobs are, so he I reckon he would probably be better off coming in as an emergency manager to some club in trouble mid season. There is good money to be made in short term fix and save contracts and I am sure he is in a position where he doesn't even have to work anyway.
Hughton has always looked on his job as a long-term commitment - it is the nature of the guy.

Quote - the average Premier League manager will coach in the top flight for less than two and a half years (91 games), coaching two different sides and winning only a third of his games, minus a trophy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here