Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Glastonbury - June 2019

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
It really is a horses for courses situation.

I've had this discussion many times with my mates who absolutely love Glasto. When I went with them I enjoyed it but for me the enjoyment Vs time, effort and money ratio just wasn't enough. You mentioned the dance acts which is more my thing anyway, but for the same amount of money I could've going to Ibiza or ADE and had all the creature comforts that you lose at Glaso - bed, shower, sanitation and the biggest thing for me not having to walk 40 minutes through treacle every time you want to see someone at a different venue.

If you want to go to the south east corner you have to miss the last hour of the headliners to be sure of getting in - I watched Chemical Brother on The other stage (which was brilliant) and wanted to carry on so walked 40 minutes through treacle only to find that area was 1 in 1 out already. Another 30 minute walk back to my tent, brilliant!

I do understand why people love it and I think it's probably something that gets better the more times you go as you know what to expect and become more experienced getting there and navigating the site, with hindsight if I did it again I'd do it completely differently. The only way I'd go back is if I did the expensive version and stayed in a teepee so at least you can just turn up on the Friday without having to worry about pitching you tent in 6 inches of mud!

I see you're comparing Ibiza (favourably) to Glastonbury. Now I haven't been to Glastonbury since the mid 90's but I think I can safely say they're not really for the same audience . . . .

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
The last festival I went to was Bath in 1970 so a bit out of touch.

We have added going to Glastonbury to our bucket list. Is there going to be a festival in 2020 or 2021? Also at 65+ we need a bit of creature comfort so would like some information on best options ("Glamping" Motor Home or other )
Thanks in advance.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
at least you can just turn up on the Friday without having to worry about pitching you tent in 6 inches of mud!

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

We have added going to Glastonbury to our bucket list. Is there going to be a festival in 2020 or 2021? Also at 65+ we need a bit of creature comfort so would like some information on best options ("Glamping" Motor Home or other )
Thanks in advance.

Will be on 2020. Don't know about 2021.

Your main problem will be getting tickets. It's very, very oversubscribed, with none readily available on the black market due to anti-tout measures.

They go on sale in November. You need to pre-register in advance with photo ID.

Given your... advance years, you might wish to write to Mr Eavis and beg. Or find a media outlet which will sponsor you for a story!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It really is a horses for courses situation.

I've had this discussion many times with my mates who absolutely love Glasto. When I went with them I enjoyed it but for me the enjoyment Vs time, effort and money ratio just wasn't enough. You mentioned the dance acts which is more my thing anyway, but for the same amount of money I could've going to Ibiza or ADE and had all the creature comforts that you lose at Glaso - bed, shower, sanitation and the biggest thing for me not having to walk 40 minutes through treacle every time you want to see someone at a different venue.

If you want to go to the south east corner you have to miss the last hour of the headliners to be sure of getting in - I watched Chemical Brother on The other stage (which was brilliant) and wanted to carry on so walked 40 minutes through treacle only to find that area was 1 in 1 out already. Another 30 minute walk back to my tent, brilliant!

I do understand why people love it and I think it's probably something that gets better the more times you go as you know what to expect and become more experienced getting there and navigating the site, with hindsight if I did it again I'd do it completely differently. The only way I'd go back is if I did the expensive version and stayed in a teepee so at least you can just turn up on the Friday without having to worry about pitching you tent in 6 inches of mud!

1) You really cannot compare Ibiza to Glastonbury. Two completely different things.
2) I have always said you need to go to Glastonbury at least 5 times. This way you will understand how to get the best from it and also you will get to see most of what the festival has to offer. And yes, you have to make decisions about whether to see a headline act or go to the late night areas...you cannot do both.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth

Thanks in advance.

This is my third time at Glastonbury and was debating whether to go again but every year we get the buzz. Looking forward to this year the most though as going in a mobile home and not too fussed about the main acts so will give us time to explore more of the festival. Also having the extra day there will help to settle in and be more relaxed.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Will be on 2020. Don't know about 2021.

Your main problem will be getting tickets. It's very, very oversubscribed, with none readily available on the black market due to anti-tout measures.

They go on sale in November. You need to pre-register in advance with photo ID.

Given your... advance years, you might wish to write to Mr Eavis and beg. Or find a media outlet which will sponsor you for a story!

You cheeky whippersnapper you!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
I see you're comparing Ibiza (favourably) to Glastonbury. Now I haven't been to Glastonbury since the mid 90's but I think I can safely say they're not really for the same audience . . . .
1) You really cannot compare Ibiza to Glastonbury. Two completely different things.
2) I have always said you need to go to Glastonbury at least 5 times. This way you will understand how to get the best from it and also you will get to see most of what the festival has to offer. And yes, you have to make decisions about whether to see a headline act or go to the late night areas...you cannot do both.
Yeah you definitely can't compare the 2. Im not sure I could do Ibizia for 5 days for about £350

Been to both but Glastonbury would be my first choice.

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

I'm not really making a direct comparison about the experience which is totally different as you say. Sadly I have a finite amount of money for things like festivals/holidays/football etc. Ibiza and ADE are just things personal to me that I've previously spent money on and used annual leave for. The comparison is that having been to Glasto, in future if I have a grand to spend a 5 days leave to play with I'll probably just watch Glasto on telly and go to something that requires less effort. Absolutely my personal preference.

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
I'm not really making a direct comparison about the experience which is totally different as you say. Sadly I have a finite amount of money for things like festivals/holidays/football etc. Ibiza and ADE are just things personal to me that I've previously spent money on and used annual leave for. The comparison is that having been to Glasto, in future if I have a grand to spend a 5 days leave to play with I'll probably just watch Glasto on telly and go to something that requires less effort. Absolutely my personal preference.
A grand?

Sounds like some fancy tipi glamping way of doing things

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda

A grand?? I am fortunate to be doing both this year. I think Glasto will be less than 500 all in whereas Ibiza I think I will be fortunate to spend 500 on drinks alone for 4 nights. I think Ibiza for what is basically the same amount of time is going to cost 3x Glastonbury if I am lucky!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I wish I hadn't mentioned Ibiza! Thinking about it my last trip was closer to 2k all in. Those days are past me now as I've got other responsibilities.

Glastonbury wasn't cheap though, off the top of my head 7 years ago: £250 ticket, £200 on tent + other camping things (one off cost if you go again), £100 food for 5 days, £400 alcohol + other bits which to be fair I guess is my own fault. It is 5 days though!

As I said, if I went again I'd do it very differently.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
£80 a day on booze?! I'd be dead after 1 day.

(But at least I'd save £320).

He must've been going to the bars - at £5 a pint that means he'd only have 16 pints a day...

I'd be dead after half a day in that case.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
He must've been going to the bars - at £5 a pint that means he'd only have 16 pints a day...

I'd be dead after half a day in that case.

And Glastonbury is the only festival where you can take your own booze everywhere, so no need to buy all day from the bars.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A grand?

Sounds like some fancy tipi glamping way of doing things

Or balls deep in the gak?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills