Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter move signals Brighton's exciting change of direction

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
But there just wasn't a 'myriad of causes'.

Potter has inherited a side that is defensively solid enough.
Leaving only 2/3rds of the pitch requiring attention.

As you rightly point on the team had the fewest touches of any PL team in opposition box.

Now clearly the very top of the club believe they provided the players which makes that fact a massive issue requiring drastic action.

Therefore what's wrong with the club, either as a whole or condensed down to 11 players on Saturday, can be distilled again down to 2/3rds of the pitch with the emphasis of that only actually being in the final third.

So I stand by my comment that Mr Potter is very lucky to be joining the Albion because he's a new manager:-

Without 'behind the scenes' boardroom unrest.
&
A playing staff believed to be better than the sum of it's parts (obviously that's open to debate, but he wasn't given the job because he said x, y & z are shitehouse and I'll need £120m to replace them).

You can dress up the same fact however many different ways you want, but the bottom line is 'all' Potter needs to do in order to be a very successful manager is get the team, who are capable of playing 30 yards further forward, actually playing 30 yards further forward.

Don't think we disagree; more of a matter of detail. I would argue that there are many reasons why Albion failed to play further forward but agree with your bottom line. Just think it might need a little more work than you imply.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes, we treated the ball like a hot potato under CH’s negative set up, when pressed. No outlet meant more and more desperate short passing followed by a hoof, or worse we got caught in possession. We need the players to be comfortable in passing to each other and have a forward outlet. The quality of players was blamed by many. We’ll be finding out how true that is next season.

Was it the players or the tactics is a mute point.

Moot, Icy. Moot. :facepalm::lolol::cheers:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
But there just wasn't a 'myriad of causes'.

Potter has inherited a side that is defensively solid enough.
Leaving only 2/3rds of the pitch requiring attention.

As you rightly point on the team had the fewest touches of any PL team in opposition box.

Now clearly the very top of the club believe they provided the players which makes that fact a massive issue requiring drastic action.

Therefore what's wrong with the club, either as a whole or condensed down to 11 players on Saturday, can be distilled again down to 2/3rds of the pitch with the emphasis of that only actually being in the final third.

So I stand by my comment that Mr Potter is very lucky to be joining the Albion because he's a new manager:-

Without 'behind the scenes' boardroom unrest.
&
A playing staff believed to be better than the sum of it's parts (obviously that's open to debate, but he wasn't given the job because he said x, y & z are shitehouse and I'll need £120m to replace them).

You can dress up the same fact however many different ways you want, but the bottom line is 'all' Potter needs to do in order to be a very successful manager is get the team, who are capable of playing 30 yards further forward, actually playing 30 yards further forward.

Why don't you have 'voice of reason' or somesuch as you're strapline? Oh, because you're not a ****.

:bowdown::thumbsup: :lolol:

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
Didn't Potter say in one of his first interviews that he does not expect many transfers this summer? Am I the only one who saw this or am I going mad?

think it was major overhaul not needed..

Think we all know and have had it reiterated by AN at the Argus we lack pace and energy across team. Its been implied about need for striker/s, CM/new no 10/RB and possible CB so we are looking at 5 players at least... Considering the amount of players we bought last year who we have never seen as have been on loan etc whatever happens it will be quality over quantity..

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I hope any change would include an improvement in the players 1st touch, I find it very frustrating that their 1st touch is often poor and the opposition take advantage.

Whatever Potter is, or isn't, he needs to quickly establish who has got a decent first touch when players are being pressed. All the pace in the world does not work if you cannot transition the ball.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Against Premiership teams, which he has no experience against????
To be fair, not many managers of teams in England have much experience of Scottish Football.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Didn't Potter say in one of his first interviews that he does not expect many transfers this summer? Am I the only one who saw this or am I going mad?

If you were an incoming manager, would you declare the existing squad were not good enough?

Wise up.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Yes I think it is exciting times with a new coach.....different direction, new ideas, possibly more exciting football but........and it's a BIG BUT....we have gone from a manager with 5 years (or is it more?) of Premier League experience to a manager with 0 years Premier League experience and who will be on the same level playing field as 3 newcomer managers from The Championship. But who knows this may not be a bad thing, it just seems we are throwing away a BIG advantage.We as supporters must embrace the future and still be excited about the change.

You forgot to mention the player panto to take the kiddies to at Christmas.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I said before that I think a lot of the players in the squad are more than capable of playing better in a different system, hell, it would piss me off big time if told to keep passing back all the time.
They may have started to doubt their own abilities by now, that is where the key lies.
Potter will have to instill the self belief in them again, which will probably take pre season and the first few games next season.
I think his main concern is about his team rather than the opposition, if he rebuilds it, results will come.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't think we disagree; more of a matter of detail. I would argue that there are many reasons why Albion failed to play further forward but agree with your bottom line. Just think it might need a little more work than you imply.
That depends on how the manager works.

Im sure plenty would come into the job eager to throw the baby out with the bath water.
Mr Potter comes to the Albion with a CV that only has one bullet point:-

Get the ball forward quickly.

He'll have the backing of the owner, board, most of the players and a fan base not as delusional as most.

Nobody said it was going to be easy, he has a lot of work ahead of him but Mr Potter could have landed in a considerably worse environment.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Where did you get yours? My prediction is no more impossible than yours saying the Albion will improve under Potter.

Bizarre. I don't recall making any prediction regarding Potter's success or lack thereof. Your 'prediction' appeared like a presentation of fact to me. Apologies.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Telling the truth.

Oh dear! At least we have a reasonable chance of staying up now. Under Chris the chance was near to zero.

Get behind the club, not the ex Manager. FFS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Whatever Potter is, or isn't, he needs to quickly establish who has got a decent first touch when players are being pressed. All the pace in the world does not work if you cannot transition the ball.

Looks like we will need at least two new centre backs then - if Dunk is off

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Looks like we will need at least two new centre backs then - if Dunk is off

No one know WHO is off and who isn't. It's probably as well to wait for the first set of transfer business. Until about 5pm today we don't even know which teams are in next season's Premier League :lolol:

Dunk, though. can play possession football. He did it under Poyet and Oscar. And while there has been talk about Duffy not suiting GP who's to say he won't build a formation around Duffy with him winning balls and giving it to the other 9 that can knock it around.

It's pretty pointless discussing this over and over until we've seen a few friendlies with a squad close to "next season's". What would be nice is if a few more Brighton fans backed the club and the board and stopped living in the past.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here