Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2019 Thread

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Had a nice scoff in the Salsa Viva Cantina in Worthing with Mrs V and four pals, two of our group are vegetarians and found the veggie options on the menu excellent. It is not a huge menu but, what they do they do VERY well, my Chicken Chipotle Quesadilla was gorgeous as was Mrs V's Beef Short Rib & Mole Taco's....all washed down with a few Modelo's. Very enjoyable and thoroughly recommended !

Jul 7, 2003
I can confirm that I am not called Herr Tubthumper. Sorry I failed to introduce myself properly. :)

Given the fine food and drink on offer at F&C I assume you didn't share with your fellow diners that - like some kind of 15 year old - you were caught drinking a can of Coors Light on the bus to the Amex earlier in the day :lolol:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Given the fine food and drink on offer at F&C I assume you didn't share with your fellow diners that - like some kind of 15 year old - you were caught drinking a can of Coors Light on the bus to the Amex earlier in the day :lolol:

I told Russ, gleefully. He was not best impressed...

And we didn't eat at Fourth and Church. I had a Gournet Thai Veggie Burger from Bankers Express across the road.

:cheers:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
There’s something undeniably exciting when a chirpy waitress unexpectedly brings you a drink and says “this is from table blah blah over there”. I straighten my shirt, sit upright with a “ still got it, never lost it” new found feeling of confidence and allure and wonder which group of beautiful young things are now waiting to catch my eye as I prepare to break some hearts with a “thank you, but sorry, I’m married”. Thankfully no hearts were broken as this was a very kind gesture from [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] and [MENTION=28490]Machiavelli[/MENTION] and their respective better halves. A nice way to start the evening for sure.

Food wise, I had just three dishes plus cheese. The chicken parfait which was okay, the cauliflower I liked on many levels, the smoked herring was really nice as well. We were focusing on alcohol as opposed to food though.

Further, I am a real novice when it comes to wine. I have never paid it as much attention as, say craft beer, but I’m keen to learn. It was therefore, amongst other reasons, nice to spend some time with the aforementioned table after my table had departed. Their generosity continued as I shared a couple more glasses, learnt a bit more about wine, and was then told to **** off when I offered to contribute. It was a polite **** off though.

I can’t remember when I left either, but I do know my last train had long gone. And yes, good food, good wine and good company plus a season saving point. Alles gut and I really like F&C.

We got in about one, so we were in 4&C for in excess of four hours. I missed the **** off, which might be explained by the fact that I was tired and emotional by that point in the evening. When I was in better control of my faculties, I did notice that the other male member of our party (I won't name him because that would be embarrassing) was remarkably adept at identifying the wines that we drank. He even managed to get the grape variety, area of production, and producer right for one of them. Failed on the vintage, however, so still room for improvement. I stopped even trying to do such things decades ago, so it was suitably impressed.

I'm pleased you both liked 4&C, and I'd say it's indicative of the manner in which eating out in Brighton (and Hove, actually) has improved considerably over the last decade or two. There's really good attention to detail. They used to stock these brilliant tins of Portuguese sardines, which they'd serve on a plate, with the lid taken off, with a quarter of lemon on the side. That shows a confidence in their ingredients, which you also can currently see in the charcuterie and cheese. I've had that parfait before, and don't think it's one of there better dishes.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Aqua - Worthing

Well I was going there Saturday but just received a mail saying now closed due to financial difficulties, maybe a blessing in disguise.

Jul 7, 2003
Aqua - Worthing

Well I was going there Saturday but just received a mail saying now closed due to financial difficulties, maybe a blessing in disguise.

I heard the Lewes one had closed. Shame as their fixed price early evening menu was not bad.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Brownie and Burger in Worthing gone too

Jul 7, 2003
Brownie and Burger in Worthing gone too

That is no surprise. While in Fiordilatte, used to feel sorry for the guys in there as there were never any customers.

Never tired it myself but found the menu limited and it wasn't in the best place for casual walk ups.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
After a walk along Ditchling Beacon went to The Green Welly in Ditchling village. An up market cafe serving breakfasts up to 11 and light lunch menu afterwards. Very pleasant atmosphere and has a small walled garden at the back which was just about warm enough to use. Lots of homemade food and cakes. Definitely will be going back. Good prices considering it’s position.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That is no surprise. While in Fiordilatte, used to feel sorry for the guys in there as there were never any customers.

Never tired it myself but found the menu limited and it wasn't in the best place for casual walk ups.

Agreed - we like Fiordilatte a lot and, when sitting there I'd always feel sorry for two groups of people...

1. The diners who walked past Fiordilatte to go to Pizza Express.
2. The B&B staff.

We kept intending to go there but never made - I feel slightly guilty now.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
I'm sure that [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] will be pleased to learn that Kenny Tutts place has posted its first menu pre-opening as a sample. Pricey of course, and a 12.5 % service charge !.... but he has to cash in while he can.

https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...19202213952f129/1556553715559/PITCH+MENUS.pdf

Like the look of this, Worthing is further along the coast than I would normally travel to eat - it's either travel to Brighton or London but wanted to try his place after MasterChef

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Like the look of this, Worthing is further along the coast than I would normally travel to eat - it's either travel to Brighton or London but wanted to try his place after MasterChef

Bring plenty of cash, looks like £100+ for 2 if you have drinks.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I thought the menu looked remarkably well-priced.

Sure, it's not going to be a "quick midweek, can't be arsed to cook" kinda meal, but move Pitch 13 miles to the East and situate it in Brighton and that menu would be considerably more expensive.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I thought the menu looked remarkably well-priced.

Sure, it's not going to be a "quick midweek, can't be arsed to cook" kinda meal, but move Pitch 13 miles to the East and situate it in Brighton and that menu would be considerably more expensive.

I think we live in different worlds Bozza, however, when you go could you take some pics and post them please ? That's as close as I'm going to get.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

I'm not sure £100 plus is that much for a decent meal.

Couple of starters at around a tenner each - £20
Couple of mains at around £20 each - £40
Couple of desserts at £7.50 each - £15
Pre-dinner drinks - £15
Wine - £40

There's £130 straight away. Even when I and Mrs W go to our local Italian it's north of £80 and they're cheap.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think we live in different worlds Bozza, however, when you go could you take some pics and post them please ? That's as close as I'm going to get.

As I say, I'm not suggesting it's somewhere we'll be popping out to often, but for where I think he's trying to pitch things, ie fine dining, the prices don't seem that bad.

That comes with the territory of setting up in Worthing instead of Brighton though.

Time will tell what sort of mark he hits, but it would amuse me no end if Worthing picks up a star before Brighton does!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm not sure £100 plus is that much for a decent meal.

Couple of starters at around a tenner each - £20
Couple of mains at around £20 each - £40
Couple of desserts at £7.50 each - £15
Pre-dinner drinks - £15
Wine - £40

There's £130 straight away. Even when I and Mrs W go to our local Italian it's north of £80 and they're cheap.

I worked out the other day that my job actually pays me £75 a day cash after all deductions etc. I could never justify spaffing £130 on a meal for two. In fact yesterday I had a reminder that my RAC cover is up soon and that's £135 for the year , I have to make a judgement call based on practicalities as If I break down and don't get to work I don't get paid.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I worked out the other day that my job actually pays me £75 a day cash after all deductions etc. I could never justify spaffing £130 on a meal for two. In fact yesterday I had a reminder that my RAC cover is up soon and that's £135 for the year , I have to make a judgement call based on practicalities as If I break down and don't get to work I don't get paid.

Oh don't get me wrong - I'm not saying it's a cheap price .... just a standard one. I'm currently "between jobs" so the choices about how to spend money are very tight ! Good luck with the RAC - have you considered Green Flag as a cheaper alternative ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here