Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Andone or Locardia

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
This phrase is used a lot on here in the last few weeks with assumption that Hughton had all the players in shackles and Potter would take them off. Is this simply he's known to be more attack minded thus "shackles off"

But what does "with the shackles off" actually mean for a player like Stephens ?

There are some who believe that hughton played conservatively , because he loved a bit of negativity. Nonsense. He set us up how he did because he could see the squad for what it is.
The idea that a new manager will turn this existing squad into an effective attacking force at premier league level is naive. The Belgian sounds decent but we still need to sign more quality up top.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There are some who believe that hughton played conservatively , because he loved a bit of negativity. Nonsense. He set us up how he did because he could see the squad for what it is.

At least we don't have long until we find out.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Really! the ONE area where we're desperate to re enforce - remind me how many goals did our mis-firing strikers score again!!??

PL stats show that the Albion team failed to create for the strikers. Shocking stats, especially when you look at the likes of Watford and Bmuff. Shirley ACM is as much a priority as anywhere.

9FB5C7D6-AA12-4544-925C-FF01B9972BCC.png

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Absolutely as much a problem as the strikers........just not clear how much of it is down to personnel or tactics.

I suspect a mix of both, do you?

(I’m not criticising CH for a primarily defensive approach ... with a bottom 3 squad based on cost per @El Pres, CH set about chiselling out results for survival in a league brimming with talent).

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Absolutely as much a problem as the strikers........just not clear how much of it is down to personnel or tactics.

Truth is it was a combination of CH’s tactics and our lack of quality in breaking out from the low block position that we spent the vast majority of time in. We were fortunate that set piece conversion was much improved and that our defensive solidity didn’t drop off any earlier in the season. Still need another 2-3 changes in personnel for me to be confident in Potters coaching style having the desired impact.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I can’t believe there are people on here who don’t think we need a new quality forward.
I took it as a given that signing at least one, would be a priority

But i've seen a photo of Locadia in training, smiling !

Surely no longer required. ;)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Really! the ONE area where we're desperate to re enforce - remind me how many goals did our mis-firing strikers score again!!??
Considerably more than our midfield, which is the priority need this summer. We've seem both Andone and Loco can score (and we know Murray can) but ultimately like all strikers they will score a percentage of the chances they get.
Trouble was last season whatever percentage they scored, it was a percentage of next to nothing - which of course is a very small amount - due to the lack of support and assistance from midfield. Yes, ultimately we'd like a better striker, but for the moment the problem is to get midfield doing the attacking part of their business.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Considerably more than our midfield, which is the priority need this summer. We've seem both Andone and Loco can score (and we know Murray can) but ultimately like all strikers they will score a percentage of the chances they get.
Trouble was last season whatever percentage they scored, it was a percentage of next to nothing - which of course is a very small amount - due to the lack of support and assistance from midfield. Yes, ultimately we'd like a better striker, but for the moment the problem is to get midfield doing the attacking part of their business.

Yep. Biggest issue was lack of chances created, not conversion of chances.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I think Andone will probably start if we fail to bring in another striker with Locadia who i personally think is the better player of the two warming the bench , Andone has a tendency to get himself booked with annoying frequency and will no doubt miss quite a few games through suspension , it's going to be very interesting to see who impressed Potter the most and thus far no loan move for Connolly so perhaps we may be in for a suprise and neither Andone or Locadia will be the main man , i think everyone would agree that we definately need a quality striker to add to the current squad and if we don't then we will not score enough goals this season with what we have to stay up .

tenor (2).gif

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

Even then, it isn't just the midfield. It's structural as well. How do we get midfielders in a position to support the attackers? Is it with quick, counter attacking football, and do we have the pace for such an approach? Do we do it by building up more effectively from the back, and if so what players do we need to allow that style of play (and I include defenders in that, as well as midfielders and attackers). Really, it goes beyond just the midfield. It could go back as far as Ryan and whether he has it in his locker to keep the ball or play quick, incisive balls out from the back. This will all depend on how Potter sees our team setting up.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Locadia can't read the game good enough for the Prem, that or he didn't understand CH tactics. If it's the former (which I'm guessing it is) Potter will find that out very quickly.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Locadia can't read the game good enough for the Prem, that or he didn't understand CH tactics. If it's the former (which I'm guessing it is) Potter will find that out very quickly.
His old PSV manager has just taken over at Derby, so that'll be an obvious January loan out if needed...

luge

Dec 18, 2010
It's not suddenly going to become a chance fest, we're not suddenly going to go to 50%+ possession every game. Potter may improve our chances created ratio, we may improve our time in the oppositions half, but we are still going to have to defend resolutely and spend many games with little of the ball. We had some impressive PL games under Hughton, 2019 isn't indicative of what happened the previous season and a half.

The seemingly slow Pascal Gross still managed 3 goals and 3 assists in 25 appearances 18/19, and 7 goals 8 assists in 38 appearances 17/18. You say I can't judge ANY of the forwards, but I can judge Gross, and he had the class and talent to deliver, and will likely continue to do so regardless of systems.

Let's not try to kid ourselves that football is all about the manager. I can quite happily judge the footballers who bought nothing to the table regardless of systems, tactics or anything else.

Gross provided those stats because of the specific role he was playing. Locadia is often played out on the wing. Listen, I agree with what you are saying - but I do think that the players in question aren't all that bad. Some will probably continue to flop, other I would expect an improvement from. Especially Andone. I don't understand why everyone hates him now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here