Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Huge game and a huge test for Hughton Saturday

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
I'm thinking 4 points is enough but we'll need all of them.

As for your scenario, no idea. I'd like to go at them from the off and get 2 or 3 up. Problem is I think CH will play conservatively and we will be vulnerable to the sucker punch right up to the final whistle.

But playing conservatively maybe what's needed - we tried playing openly against Bournemouth and Cardiff, that resulted in them hitting us on the counter and winning. Newcastle may expect us to go all out as we need the points.

I think playing conservatively in this situation is what is required and then push a bit harder in the latter stages of the game.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
that's bollocks.

Cardiff we started on the front foot and attacking. It just went against us and we were poor.

I fully expect us to be on the front foot again.

Hughton has managed to get the defensive steel back in us and has all the players finally fighting for this.

GET BEHIND THE TEAM !!

We can't get 'behind' the team; they play so deep!:)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We won’t win and that’s all there is to it. In fact I might go all out on a limb here and say we won’t score either!!

Let’s get on with relegation, a new manager and a new team. I don’t want to watch this one any longer, it’s embarrassing. We shouldn’t be in the PL, it’s not in our DNA and has been the most hopeless, predictive football to watch (relative to the division) since 97/98. Can’t wait to get back into the Champ and see some entertainment again.
I think there is widespread agreement that we can't have another season like this one, especially the second half of it. But I think there is merit in him just trying to grind out the results we need and reassessing in the summer.

It seems he has cultivated an image of playing for draws, but I still see parallels with the second half of Sami's season when he took over. He shut up shop, ground out results and got us over the line, he then rebuilt and the rest is history. All I'll say is that I think he deserves the chance to do that again this season, especially if he keeps us up.

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
We won’t win and that’s all there is to it. In fact I might go all out on a limb here and say we won’t score either!!

Let’s get on with relegation, a new manager and a new team. I don’t want to watch this one any longer, it’s embarrassing. We shouldn’t be in the PL, it’s not in our DNA and has been the most hopeless, predictive football to watch (relative to the division) since 97/98. Can’t wait to get back into the Champ and see some entertainment again.

I think you would be better off supporting Man City, we genuine Brighton fans can take the ups and downs as we have for many a year.
If you have a season ticket, Dob it in and let a more deserving fan have it.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I think there is widespread agreement that we can't have another season like this one, especially the second half of it. But I think there is merit in him just trying to grind out the results we need and reassessing in the summer.

It seems he has cultivated an image of playing for draws, but I still see parallels with the second half of Sami's season when he took over. He shut up shop, ground out results and got us over the line, he then rebuilt and the rest is history. All I'll say is that I think he deserves the chance to do that again this season, especially if he keeps us up.

That’s all fair comment

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

Agreed, but we need to get some better players in as first choice. Not for the U23 or from Belgian/ Dutch leagues.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
But playing conservatively maybe what's needed - we tried playing openly against Bournemouth and Cardiff, that resulted in them hitting us on the counter and winning.

Pretty sure Newcastle will approach the game in exactly the same way as Bournemouth and Cardiff did, with much the same result.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Have you watched us play under Hughton?

Scenario: Cardiff lose at Fulham and we then go into the Newcastle game 3 points clear. We are drawing after 70 minutes.

Do we keep it tight and batten down the hatches to go 4 points clear?
Or do we gamble and push forward for a win leaving us vulnerable to conceding a late goal?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Why does he deserve the chance to be here next season? I just don't understand this.

Hughton has turned us into an embarrassment, the worst team in the PL right now and quite possibly the worst side to watch out of all 92 clubs. He has earned the right to find another club and no more. Football is a cruel mistress sometimes.

Managers sometimes reach a point where the only sensible option is to move on. Hughton crossed that line before Christmas when it was crystal clear that we had become terrible under his leadership.

We need a new coaching team with fresh ideas. Our players are all going to need a course of Prozac over the summer-they must be so low right now.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Agreed, but we need to get some better players in as first choice. Not for the U23 or from Belgian/ Dutch leagues.
Absolutely! We've spent £50m on some absolute tat. If I never saw Locadia and Ali J in the stripes again, I'd be delighted. Haven't got many good words to say about Pröpper either, but he's clearly a good player with better players in front of him.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I think this Saturday is more a test of fans than Hughton.

Yes I know many are unhappy and have been saying so for a while. But if we had played like this all season I could understand. But we havent. Fulham and west ham being 2 examples! I think being away from home last 2 games has helped us.

So will the crowd stand by the team no matter how the manager sets up the team and who he picks?

Will they see the big picture of trying to get over the line in a tight battle against relegation?

As [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] has said, this is a means to an end. This clearly isnt the end game plan for ever and a day

I often wondered how I would have acted when Bailey was the manager (i was only 12 then and didnt attend every game) if we had known then what we know now. This is a similar situation. Yes its not cavalier attacking, but its not dull (actually quite enthralling)

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

Would prefer to see him go in the summer but if your chosen scenario happened then fair enough.

I just think all this bleating and moaning about him now is pointless. We know what we are , we know what CH is. We can piss our pants in the summer but for now we have to get behind the team and get some momentum amongst us to rally the boys. They've shown the last 2 games they are fighting. Least we can do is do the same rather than everyone bitching about CH like girls.

That can come later.

Saturday is what its all about

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I think you would be better off supporting Man City, we genuine Brighton fans can take the ups and downs as we have for many a year.
If you have a season ticket, Dob it in and let a more deserving fan have it.

Oh please, not that old chestnut. If it wasn’t for fans like me that went week in week out to Gillingham, part of the Falmer for all team, on the pitch at the goldstone etc you might not even have a team to support. I do grow tired of people who’s only argument against complaints is to go support Man City, Chelsea etc. So incredibly idiotic thing to say. You haven’t go a clue as to my loyalty moreover if you knew anything about following a club you’d know you can’t switch sides. It’s in your blood. For life. Like malaria. And I’m allowed to vent my frustration on a forum (I don’t do booing or abuse at games, just support the team) at the dross we’ve been served up, especially away from home, for two seasons now. If that’s ok with you.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
But playing conservatively maybe what's needed - we tried playing openly against Bournemouth and Cardiff, that resulted in them hitting us on the counter and winning. Newcastle may expect us to go all out as we need the points.

I think playing conservatively in this situation is what is required and then push a bit harder in the latter stages of the game.

Both Bournemouth and Cardiff were a masterclass in poor passing and shocking defending with players all over the place. Obviously CH didn't drill that into the team.

My hope is he sets us up in a way which takes the game to Newcastle and we show a positive intent to score. I think we have more chance of that succeeding than the 'park the bus and hope for a goal from set piece' approach.

That all said I think a point will be enough but playing for it from the off would be too risky for me (just a personal preference, not a criticism)

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Oh please, not that old chestnut. If it wasn’t for fans like me that went week in week out to Gillingham, part of the Falmer for all team, on the pitch at the goldstone etc you might not even have a team to support. I do grow tired of people who’s only argument against complaints is to go support Man City, Chelsea etc. So incredibly idiotic thing to say. You haven’t go a clue as to my loyalty moreover if you knew anything about following a club you’d know you can’t switch sides. It’s in your blood. For life. Like malaria. And I’m allowed to vent my frustration on a forum (I don’t do booing or abuse at games, just support the team) at the dross we’ve been served up, especially away from home, for two seasons now. If that’s ok with you.

Well that told him :)

Bet if there was a withdraw post option it would be used now.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Would prefer to see him go in the summer but if your chosen scenario happened then fair enough.

I just think all this bleating and moaning about him now is pointless. We know what we are , we know what CH is. We can piss our pants in the summer but for now we have to get behind the team and get some momentum amongst us to rally the boys. They've shown the last 2 games they are fighting. Least we can do is do the same rather than everyone bitching about CH like girls.

That can come later.

I am in broad agreement with you. I am not in the Hughton out camp but I could easily be swayed.

But it shouldn't be important to any of us right now. I would MUCH rather we got behind him and the team right now, got us over the line, then reassessed in the summer when we know where we are.

In truth, if Uncle Tony gets his cheque book out and replaces our dross with proper Premier league players and decides himself that CH is the man to take us into next season, I'm fine with that. Equally, if he pulls the trigger I'm full square behind that decision too (although I don't think he will).

I really hope that if CH does stay, those fans who are so angry at the moment are actually prepared to give him a chance to address the glaring issues.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

That can come later.

My frustration stems from seeing this a long long way off, pre Xmas in fact when I really wanted us to change manager. Trouble then was people decried anyone suggesting it e.g. ‘we’ve just won three 1 nils’, ‘we beat Palace’, ‘there are 3 worse teams than us’, ‘we’ve more points than last season at this stage’ etc etc. But those that damned anyone suggestion CH might take us down can’t have it both ways now he’s on the cusp of doing this. We should have been braver several months ago. But now it is too late I’d definitely agree sticking with Chris. Absolutely no point changing him now or perhaps even close season if he does take us down. I was of the view he was the wrong man to keep us up but probably the best to bring us back up if we do go down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here