Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

jimmygull

Mar 22, 2012
I aim to please :)

Here are the stats, for anyone who's interested: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1141321217

Mrs B mentioned that maybe I should just take it easier from marathons from now on - accept the fact that I'm not going to be pulling up trees times-wise. I *almost* started with the 3:45 pacers yesterday as they were in the same pen as the 4hr ones, but I know I would have had another crap experience as I did in Brighton. I've done a sub 4-marathon, and I'm quite happy with that. Maybe it's time to stop chasing times?

Dunno, maybe I'll change my mind when the next one comes around, but I'm gonna concentrate on the shorter stuff now, with Phoenix and other 10ks in mind.

Thanks for all your support guys - really appreciate it :thumbsup:

Nice one GB, I surprisingly had a great day and actually knocked 10 mins off my Brighton time with 4:18 (so was well please considering my training had been poor).

By accident found out about a run/walk strategy on my phone on my way to London and it made loads of sense to give it a try considering last week. Made all the difference.

When I finished Brighton, felt awful, serious muscle fatigue and took 30 mins to stop feeling dizzy and come back to normal after the finish. But London was completely different, I ran a mile at a faster pace than normal and then when possible walked for 30 seconds to a minute and carried that through the race. As a result felt really good all the way round, really loved the finished and went straight off to the pub with family and the charity I ran for!

Here's a link, would really recommend for anyone around the 4 hour mark and above and especially for those who are daft enough to do two marathons in a week like me! Well done to everyone, I have to agree London is an incredible and extremely moving event, was blown away.

Be interested to know of anyone else that have tried the below tactics, defo worked for me.

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/run-walk/

http://www.ironmate.co.uk/how-run-walk-strategy-faster-overall-time

http://www.runnersworld.com/ask-coach-jenny/who-should-use-a-run-walk-program

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Nice one GB, I surprisingly had a great day and actually knocked 10 mins off my Brighton time with 4:18 (so was well please considering my training had been poor).

By accident found out about a run/walk strategy on my phone on my way to London and it made loads of sense to give it a try considering last week. Made all the difference.

When I finished Brighton, felt awful, serious muscle fatigue and took 30 mins to stop feeling dizzy and come back to normal after the finish. But London was completely different, I ran a mile at a faster pace than normal and then when possible walked for 30 seconds to a minute and carried that through the race. As a result felt really good all the way round, really loved the finished and went straight off to the pub with family and the charity I ran for!

Here's a link, would really recommend for anyone around the 4 hour mark and above and especially for those who are daft enough to do two marathons in a week like me! Well done to everyone, I have to agree London is an incredible and extremely moving event, was blown away.

Be interested to know of anyone else that have tried the below tactics, defo worked for me.

That was a great race strategy and worked well for you. Congratulations. I did it involuntarily at Brighton last week over the last 8 miles. Forgot my finish time and reverted to finishing tactics. walked 2 mins of the start of each mile and ran the rest. Fitted it into aid stations and ate well, rehydrated brilliantly and was ready for the pub at the finish.

Looking forward to the Three Forts Challenge 27 miler on Sunday where I will certainly be employing the walk/run strategy. I need to [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] to give an estimate time for me a 4 hour, flat marathon man with a fair bit of hill training in the legs and a desire to chat, eat and drink at every aid station. Is sub 5 hours asking too much?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Great attitude. Well done again. As to chasing a marathon time, too many maybes in there methinks. :lol::lol:

There's always going to be a bit of wiggle room. I've seen how people's predictions and rash statements come back to bite them on here too many times :lol:

Thanks - and good running by yourself.

A couple of the times I was walking, I broke into a brisk stride, and found that my pace was not far off what I had been previously running, and I was still passing people who were running, so there's probably something in it!

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That was a great race strategy and worked well for you. Congratulations. I did it involuntarily at Brighton last week over the last 8 miles. Forgot my finish time and reverted to finishing tactics. walked 2 mins of the start of each mile and ran the rest. Fitted it into aid stations and ate well, rehydrated brilliantly and was ready for the pub at the finish.

Looking forward to the Three Forts Challenge 27 miler on Sunday where I will certainly be employing the walk/run strategy. I need to [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] to give an estimate time for me a 4 hour, flat marathon man with a fair bit of hill training in the legs and a desire to chat, eat and drink at every aid station. Is sub 5 hours asking too much?

4.45-5 I reckon (what I'll be aiming for - although calves are tight again this morning so will need to see how this week pans out) . Usually (rule of thumb, there are always those who smash it or take it very easy) 40 mins to an hour on top of a flat road effort for people around our pace. Drops to 20-25 mins at the sharp end of the field (expect the winner to be 3.00-3.15ish depending on who's there). I almost always walk up all of the hills (even the gentle ones), and try to run the flats and downhills on races like this.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Never formally followed something like the Galloway programme but I very often have walk breaks on long runs, whether racing or training. For example at Brighton last week, I drank at every aid station - rather than grabbing a cup and trying to drink on the move (stressful, difficult, annoying), I step to one side - usually behind the tables where I could - take maybe 15-30 seconds to drink the water, take a gel/SCap etc (whilst still walking quickly) hen break back into a run. I find it helps me psychologically, sense-checking everything is still OK and then focusing on the next bit ahead. It doesn't impact my overall time much (and at around 4 hours, not really bothered anyway)

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
3:44:26 great day too knackered to say anything else for now

Thanks to whoever it was shouting Seagulls at 21? Miles

That was me I believe! Just as you came up that little hill out around Tower Hamlets? I spotted your shorts with the crest on :albion2: Had a great day yesterday cheering on my Brother and Dad (3:22 and 4:10 respectively) - got a great buzz just out of cheering people on, cant imagine how great the atmosphere must be for runners.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Meanwhile in South East London (obviously) a mob of people in non running leisurewear stole all the water at an aid station

(Warning, Mail article designed to cause maximum outrage, but still, bloody cheek!)

Do they not have taps in Deptford then?

Cheeky tw@ts.

In other news, after a week off, I took myself out to test my strained hamstring... and its fine. Yippee! etc...

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Do they not have taps in Deptford then?

Cheeky tw@ts.

In other news, after a week off, I took myself out to test my strained hamstring... and its fine. Yippee! etc...

The article says the bottles were looted just after the first runners went through, but photo of the runners is clearly plodders at the back, with loads of empty bottles in the gutter.

Not unusual for the Mail to get it wrong then. Still a bit unnecessary though.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The article says the bottles were looted just after the first runners went through, but photo of the runners is clearly plodders at the back, with loads of empty bottles in the gutter.

I've seen elsewhere, and the small number of 'runners' walking past possibly bears this out, is that the official sweeper truck had already passed, so anyone on the course behind it is effectively 'unsupported'. Any left-over water is usually chucked I think, so the story may not be quite as it seems.............

Continuing the VLM theme, this is interesting. This is happening more and more (easy to see where should have done it - just hopped through the crowds just over Tower Bridge), but I guess if you are going to do it, make the times look realistic rather than breaking the world 10km record TWICE in the second half. There is a bloke in the US that spends all his time looking at race results for things like this.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...on-after-fans-spot-suspicious-time-sheet.html

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
That was me I believe! Just as you came up that little hill out around Tower Hamlets? I spotted your shorts with the crest on :albion2: Had a great day yesterday cheering on my Brother and Dad (3:22 and 4:10 respectively) - got a great buzz just out of cheering people on, cant imagine how great the atmosphere must be for runners.

Haha so I was n't hallucinating then [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] - So thanks again yes, that was my shorts - I did give you a wave- I have no idea if that was Tower Hamlets in fact realised on Sunday how little I know that part of London- seems we ran right past The Valley (had no idea despite being there 24 hours earlier), where on earth is Mudchute?!!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Well what an amazing day yesterday. Everyone says that the London Marathon is an incredible experience because of the crowds and it truly is! From the excitement building in Greenwich when surrounded by thousands of fellow runners, the first few easy miles, the magic of Tower Bridge at half way, through Docklands and then as your legs tire the crowds build along the Embankment, the Millenium Wheel, The Houses of Parliament appear and finally The Mall. All was going splendidly until I literally tripped over the finishing line and almost flattened the woman finishing in front of me!

In a way the experience is quite different from Brighton just because of the scale - you feel quite anonymous- the chances of bumping into anyone you know or even seeing anyone in the crowd are pretty slim - then out of the blue [MENTION=18099]ForestRowSeagull[/MENTION] spots the seagull on my shorts to give me some timely encouragement. My family only managed to spot me once in three attempts - running through unfamiliar streets also adds to this slightly alienated feeling. But then seeing those landmarks is magical - [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] gave some brilliant advice 'take time to look up and take it in' just a shame could n't really appreciate the most spectacular parts at the end when finish line tunnel vision kicks in.

Overall a fantastic experience and one you've got to do at some point I think.

So 3:44 - beating my pb by 5 mins so got to be delighted with that, also that I managed to run pretty even 5k splits of 26 mins up to 40km - ran out of steam a little bit in the final couple of miles but you don't want to leave anything in the tank - brilliantly looked after by Save the Children afterwards with a massage and just a quiet relaxation area which was much needed after 4 hours of crowds and noise. Really happy to have raised a significant amount of money for them.

Thoughts go of course to the family and friends of the guy who died on the course - I ran past him being given CPR - a horrible site and puts everything in perspective.

Thanks to everyone on here for the support during the marathon build up and look forward to meeting up at various the upcoming events.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

Certainly after Brighton Marathon last year any left over drinks were abandoned (probably not worth anyone's while recovering them) and I saw kids wheeling them away on their skateboards no doubt for playground sales the next day.

The wastage is incredible when bottles are used - most people take a sip and then chuck the bottle away - I don't know if any of it is recovered. Also pretty hazardous I trod on two fullish bottles whilst running through the drinks stations - I think the pouches they used at Brighton two years ago are much better on all fronts

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Meanwhile in South East London (obviously) a mob of people in non running leisurewear stole all the water at an aid station

(Warning, Mail article designed to cause maximum outrage, but still, bloody cheek!)
The organisers give them away. It's cheaper than transporting them back to where they came from, or elsewhere.

I'm afraid it's a case of 'nothing to see here'. I know - a bit if a shock for the DM, but as the saying goes, 'never let the truth get in the way of a good story...'

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Nothing as exciting as the London Marathon, but did my first 10k for 3 months today (albeit treadmill). I think this niggling achilles injury is clearing up at last, even though a bit sore right now.
Thanks to those that advised to see Paul up at Corals. The guy is quality compared to other physios I've seen while trying to get it sorted.
I did it in 49:30, so quite steady, but the main thing is I'm now feeling positive after weeks & weeks of doom & gloom. Can't wait to get home & get on the seafront or up on the Downs of God's own County.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Certainly after Brighton Marathon last year any left over drinks were abandoned (probably not worth anyone's while recovering them) and I saw kids wheeling them away on their skateboards no doubt for playground sales the next day.

The wastage is incredible when bottles are used - most people take a sip and then chuck the bottle away - I don't know if any of it is recovered. Also pretty hazardous I trod on two fullish bottles whilst running through the drinks stations - I think the pouches they used at Brighton two years ago are much better on all fronts

Congrats on a great run. Not sure about you but the highlight of VLM for me is always the gentle rise up on to Tower Bridge - you just get hit by a massive wall of noise as it flattens out with huge crowds both sides. Fantastic. Always makes me well up.........

I loved the pouches they used at Brighton a couple of years ago - best of both worlds. Quite small so not much wastage, no trip hazard as they flattened, and very easy to carry between stations as they mould to the shape of your hand. I don't like cups much as I like to be able to carry water,, particularly later on and at least the bottles they use at VLM are small and could be carried - runners should do this from station to station rather than lob them in the gutter. The large bottles lucozade or gatorade (powerade at Edinburgh) are the worst of all - people drink hardly anything out of them and then chuck them

The guy dying is hugely sad but statistically bound to happen every so often. I tend to try to think about how many of the field avoided having heart issues, or at least lessened their risk, by taking up running. Loads of people not running a marathon on Sunday had heart attacks too.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Can anyone recommend a sports massage in Hove? - I had one booked at work for Wednesday but train strike has put paid to that.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Can anyone recommend a sports massage in Hove? - I had one booked at work for Wednesday but train strike has put paid to that.

Little chance of seeing Jesus but you could try. Paul Godley at Corals gym. I was just talking to Judie but believe she is more physio and a bit scathing of marathon runners (thinnks we're fools).

You're London review has got me interested. Have contacted the Martlets, who have been brilliant caring for friends and family, re fundraising for them next year. Brother and I did our first Brighton for them as my Mum spent her last days in their care.

jimmygull

Mar 22, 2012
There's always going to be a bit of wiggle room. I've seen how people's predictions and rash statements come back to bite them on here too many times :lol:

Thanks - and good running by yourself.

A couple of the times I was walking, I broke into a brisk stride, and found that my pace was not far off what I had been previously running, and I was still passing people who were running, so there's probably something in it!

Cheers, here's my run if interested. You'll see the regular dips where I walked, but kept the splits pretty consistent throughout apart from the last couple where I got bit of cramp in my hamstring. The Brighton run just got slower and slower from mile 15 on as muscle fatigue kicked in ending with a few 11/12 min miles that killed my time and my enjoyment! If I was ever to run it again (very doubtful!) would definitely stick with same tactics and just speed up the run pace. Although like you I'm thinking of sticking with 10k's and have already entered Worthing to keep the fitness up! Best of luck with all future runs.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1142611170

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Little chance of seeing Jesus but you could try. Paul Godley at Corals gym. I was just talking to Judie but believe she is more physio and a bit scathing of marathon runners (thinnks we're fools).

You're London review has got me interested. Have contacted the Martlets, who have been brilliant caring for friends and family, re fundraising for them next year. Brother and I did our first Brighton for them as my Mum spent her last days in their care.

Do it - it's an unforgettable experience, it really is. Forget about racing it even - just enjoy everything about it. It's not my favourite 'race' (that would not involve tarmac), but it's probably my favourite 'event'.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here