Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Boeing 737 aka Max 8

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I am only concerned with BA as brother uses them as he works for them and is on holiday in the Philippines and Easy Jet as I use them to go to Spain .

Both use solely Airbus A320 family for this size/class of aircraft.

Tui and Norwegian are the only European airlines with them. It is only the 4th generation which is affected by this, the 3rd generation used by Ryanair, KLM, SAS and others (including most of Norwegian and Tuis fleets currently) are not affected.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Norwegian has just announced the grounding of its MAX fleet. As an occasional passenger on Norwegian I just received from them the email below.

Norwegian

Norwegian temporarily suspends flights with the Boeing 737 MAX, following recommendations by European aviation authorities

Norwegian - Mar 12, 2019 13:50 GMT

Following the decision by the relevant aviation regulatory bodies to temporarily suspend operations of Boeing 737 MAX, Norwegian will not operate any flights with this aircraft type until further notice. We remain in close dialogue with the aviation authorities and Boeing, and follow their instructions and recommendations.

Norwegian has more than 110 Boeing 737–800 aircraft in its fleet, which is not affected by this temporary suspension.

We would like to apologise to customers who will be affected by temporary cancellations and delays, but the safety and security of our customers and colleagues will never be compromised, and once authorities advise to cease operations we will of course comply.

Tomas Hesthammer, Norwegian’s acting Chief Operating Officer said: “In response to the temporary suspension of Being 737 MAX operations by multiple aviation authorities we have taken the decision to not operate flights using this aircraft type until advised otherwise by the relevant aviation authorities. We would like to apologise to customers for any inconvenience caused, however, safety will always remain our top priority.”

According to Wikipedia the airline has 50 738’s and 18 738max

FWIW Tui have 22 738’s and 6 738max

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
From BBC website:

"Boeing has grounded its entire global fleet of 737 Max aircraft after investigators uncovered new evidence at the scene of the fatal Ethiopian Airlines crash. The US plane-maker said it would suspend all 371 of the aircraft."

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
From BBC website:

"Boeing has grounded its entire global fleet of 737 Max aircraft after investigators uncovered new evidence at the scene of the fatal Ethiopian Airlines crash. The US plane-maker said it would suspend all 371 of the aircraft."

There is a huge controversy to come for Boeing. Allegedly they knew this jets were difficult to fly, but rather than roll out millions worth of training and simulator programmes make the aircraft more difficult to sell, they’ve made out it was just an upgrade and pilots could just read up changes on an iPad. This could be a massive scandal.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Yes. Just imagine how he'd chuckle wryly to himself as it plummets towards earth, saying, "Oh well - would you bloody believe it!"
".....what's the chances of that happening eh!......"

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
So I am still in the land of the living.

Excellent flight on a 737 800 yesterday.

Good God I was scared for 36 hours - my Mrs hates flying and I couldn’t tell her that we would be on an extremely dodgy plane. I was considering cancelling the holiday or phoning in sick or anything.
I don’t think I’ve ever experienced feelings like that. Trepidation to fear and back. Couldn’t sleep, hold a sensible discussion, I was just trying to rationalise why it would be ok to get on the plane.

When the CAA grounded the aircraft at 3pm Tuesday, I have never felt so relieved.

The only downside was that I booked a window seat and this is where I sat[emoji2]

So now just doing normal things like looking for a bar to watch the Qtr Final

UTA
3c5791efcb02db46b93cd895080f4a5b.jpg

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
All the humorous comments must have really cheered you up [MENTION=8625]Nobby[/MENTION]! :)

Glad you arrived safe, have s great holiday. :thumbsup:

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Is this all leading back to Donald ?

WSJ report a software fix to Boeing 737 Max 8 planes was delayed by govt shutdown

Wall Street Journal with the report, saying the delay was in part due to the US government shutdown

Boeing had been working on a software fix for the 737 Max aircraft over past several months
Boeing said it was working with the Federal Aviation Administration
Update initially expected in early January
US officials said the government shutdown delayed work on the update for five weeks

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

WSJ report a software fix to Boeing 737 Max 8 planes was delayed by govt shutdown

Wall Street Journal with the report, saying the delay was in part due to the US government shutdown

Boeing had been working on a software fix for the 737 Max aircraft over past several months
US officials said the government shutdown delayed work on the update for five weeks

So they knew it was unstable yet didn't alert aviation companies across the world? Culpable of involuntary manslaughter or similar?

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
We had a call about this with our New York office the day.

They were so dismissive of it being a problem it was unreal - it was like “Boeing are American it’s not their fault”. It has only taken the grounding of these planes by every other nation in the world to force Trump to do the same.

The insularity of the US as a nation makes me so annoyed....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
We had a call about this with our New York office the day.

They were so dismissive of it being a problem it was unreal - it was like “Boeing are American it’s not their fault”. It has only taken the grounding of these planes by every other nation in the world to force Trump to do the same.

The insularity of the US as a nation makes me so annoyed....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it nationalised? If not, surely it is down to the company and not the Govt?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It's a bit mental actually, some former work colleagues who I thought were pretty fair, decent people were discussing this on Facebook and basically said US pilots are better and would have known how to handle this and because Ethiopia & Indonesia are third world countries with poor human rights (?) that is most probable cause.

There is some politics though, as Ethiopia gave the black boxes to a French recovery center, rather than back to the US for examination

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Boeing patently grounded the entire fleet to retain some shred of credibility seeing as how practically all of their customers outside of the US had already taken that decision anyway.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

That's quite shocking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here