Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Closing Central Madrid To Cars Resulted In 9.5% Boost To Retail Spending

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Madrid has a metro system , over 2000 buses , and all the public transport is very cheap ,
Unlike Brighton which had none of the above
This is why they can ban cars

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Not sure I would ever want to visit Madrid again, probably the worst European City I have been to.

What were you expecting? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically through Plaza Mayor? :moo:

Firstly i'm going to stick up for Madrid. Centre dripping in history and grand architecture. Loads of little hidden away squares with people drinking outside cafe bar things until the middle of the night (and not fighting), fantastic parks, and a huge football culture. Been there a few times and loved it.

Added to that there are excellent museums, galleries, tapas bars, restaurants and a wealth of neighbourhoods to explore. If a man is tired of Madrid, he's tired of life.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Which other countries/cities have banned them? I’ve often seen scooters and especially segways on my travels.

In New Zealand, Dunedin and Auckland have (temporarily) banned the Lime-S e-scooters since we were recently there. Apparently, a software problem is randomly applying the front brake, resulting in lots of injuries! Switzerland has had the same problem.

They did look like a great idea, though. Would be tempted if I lived somewhere that had them.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Italian city pays cyclists to bike to work

https://cyclingindustry.news/italian-city-pays-cyclists-bike-work/

The mayor of Bari, the capital city of southern Italy’s Puglia region, has announced an incentive scheme in which people will be paid to cycle to work.

Those who commute by bike will receive 20 cents (18p) per kilometre of their daily commute in a four-month pilot scheme. Participants could receive up to €25 per month, with an extra €50 bonus up for grabs each month for those who have cycled the highest number of kilometres.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here