Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ali J

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I got a message immediately after the game last night about "how rubbish Jahabash" was and "what a waste of money" he is. That's just ridiculous, he was our best player last night. His touch, his eye for a pass and his execution was spot on. There was no end product, granted, but it wasn't for a lack of effort and I think that he's growing into our team and should get a run of games like Locadia has had. In my opinion, we've seen that Locadia is just a box player but Jahanbakhsh is a top quality footballer.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Ali J will be a very good purchase. He like Locadia offers a decent goal threat. And he's a much better finisher than all our other wide men.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
NSC amuses me at times. This morning there appear to be several threads about players who looked class last night. Yet on the match thread yesterday there was an awful lot of grumbling about our team making hard work of a team championship reserves and kids.

Once a game has kicked off, the official match thread is a thing to be AVOIDED. It is the football messageboard equivalent of the despairing pits of hell

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Very impressed with him tonight playing up front just behind behind Andone. Given Burnley will be defensive on Saturday should we start him instead of Pascal in that forward role?

Gross hasn't played as part of our forward line for quite some time...

Also, Gross created 10 chances against Watford. There's no way he's being dropped.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
NSC amuses me at times. This morning there appear to be several threads about players who looked class last night. Yet on the match thread yesterday there was an awful lot of grumbling about our team making hard work of a team championship reserves and kids!

Yes they're not the same people but it is funny. As for Ali J, he looked excellent at times yesterday, but then so did Knockaert.

The fact remains that none of our attacking players were clinical enough until Murray came on. Ali J was skillful, Andone put himself about as did Locadia, and Bissouma looked different gravy until he needed to make an attacking decision. All in all, we didn't learn anything we don't know already about any of them.

It was predominantly a reserve team last night and more or less all of them showed why they aren't first choice at the minute. Button is way off Ryan and looks nervy to me, Burn - as good as he was - is nowhere near as comfortable on the ball as Dunk, Bissouma looks mustard at times but shoots from range too much and doesn't look up or play the simple pass enough. Balogun looked like he wanted to go to Dubai. Knockeart needs to concentrate on his game not everyone else's. Andone is much more mobile than Murray but that causes him to be stuck on the wing when we need someone in the box whether that is him or someone from midfield. All the intricate passing is great but its not much use if there is no movement to get on the end of a cross.

I think Ali J showed why we parted with 17m quid. First touch sublime. Strong, looking to take players on but also knew when to pass and did his defensive duties. I'm not sure what he is - whether he is a winger or the Gross role or neither. Time will tell but he seemed the most first team ready of the fringe players albeit I got messages last night saying he was pony and it wouldn't be the first player I've read wrong. I used to rate Graham Barrett.

It seemed to me that West Brom were a limited team who were trying to win, We were by far the most skilful team but didn't have the sense of urgency required. It reminded me of the Poyet era with lots of possession but not a lot of chances from it. Frank Lampard's Derby take the cup more seriously and will beat us if we play like that again. This years cup draw has really opened up - I really hope we turn up against Derby.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
You can't compare each player with one another because they all have different attributes and bring different things to the table but overall Jahanbksh is the most complete and most adaptable player at the club at the moment. The injuries and International duties haven't allowed him to get into a rythmn this season but hopefully by the end of the season or by next season at the latest that will be obvious to everyone

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Thought Ali J got better as the game went on. Definitely the most promising outing for him thus far. I suspect he will still be feeding of scraps for a while yet, but he does finally appear to be acclimatising to English football at last. An exciting prospect indeed.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
You can't compare each player with one another because they all have different attributes and bring different things to the table but overall Jahanbksh is the most complete and most adaptable player at the club at the moment. The injuries and International duties haven't allowed him to get into a rythmn this season but hopefully by the end of the season or by next season at the latest that will be obvious to everyone

Based on what? One game against WBA? Because it certainly can't be based on his performances pre-injury where he looked miles away from being a Premier League player; Everton away, in particular, stands out as one of the worst Albion performances I've seen in years from an individual player.

Don't get me wrong, he deserves time to show what he can do and find his rhythm, but hyperbole from our own fans will only set him up for a fall.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
NSC amuses me at times. This morning there appear to be several threads about players who looked class last night. Yet on the match thread yesterday there was an awful lot of grumbling about our team making hard work of a team championship reserves and kids!

Yes they're not the same people but it is funny. As for Ali J, he looked excellent at times yesterday, but then so did Knockaert.

The fact remains that none of our attacking players were clinical enough until Murray came on. Ali J was skillful, Andone put himself about as did Locadia, and Bissouma looked different gravy until he needed to make an attacking decision. All in all, we didn't learn anything we don't know already about any of them.

We did learn that Locadia is prepared to use his weaker left foot. But I agree it just confirmed my doubts about the quality of our reserves in the final third.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Based on what? One game against WBA? Because it certainly can't be based on his performances pre-injury where he looked miles away from being a Premier League player; Everton away, in particular, stands out as one of the worst Albion performances I've seen in years from an individual player.

Don't get me wrong, he deserves time to show what he can do and find his rhythm, but hyperbole from our own fans will only set him up for a fall.

Based on his performances in Holland

Based on the fact that you don't become the most ''iconic'' player for your National team for no reason - you have to have produced past performances over the years to be so revered.

And ............................................. - Maybe he just is.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
To be fair becoming iconic with the Iranian fan base isn’t saying much, the English speaking Persian football forum is hilarious with its expectations and overestimations

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Based on the fact that you don't become the most ''iconic'' player for your National team for no reason - you have to have produced past performances over the years to be so revered.

You can base very little on Ditch football IMO.

Could be excellent, but too early to say....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

None of that gives any indication that he'll reach this standard of our most complete player, as you've so proclaimed him. Nor do his actual performances for us so far...

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
None of that gives any indication that he'll reach this standard of our most complete player, as you've so proclaimed him. Nor do his actual performances for us so far...

I forgot ........................ ''Dot Dot Dot code'' is an ancient and dead language

Arvin

Jul 24, 2018
Washington DC
To be fair becoming iconic with the Iranian fan base isn’t saying much, the English speaking Persian football forum is hilarious with its expectations and overestimations

I’ll be honest he actually gets a ton of negativity from some of our fans but I think most of it lately is just because of a more general underlying disappointment in our Asian Cup exit. It’s really a mixed bag over there, some more knee jerk and some more level- analogous to NSC as you’d expect.

With regards to Alireza I think it’s really too soon to say how he’ll fare in PL. promising night against WBA makes me more optimistic. He still seems a bit tense/scared when I watch him and his chemistry with the other forwards a tad off. When you watched him in Holland he looked very confident and his body language was totally different; he would be a lot more outspoken on the field as well and had excellent chemistry with Werghorst who wasn’t even half as clinical as someone like Andone or Murray.

Hughton said next season is when we might see his full potential and I believe it; half the season was laden with setbacks and this other half is showing signs of gradual acclamation. For us as Iranian fans he’s one of the most exciting prospects we’ve had since our previous golden generation that featured lots of Bundesliga players (Mahdavikia, Karimi, Hashemian). Between him, Azmoun (who signed for Zenit) and Ghoddos (Amiens SC) there’s a mountain of expectations and eyes back home. It’s really different from what other BHA players might be experiencing; add that with his price tag which he himself is fully aware of and you get a situation where a player could easily crumble under pressure and lack of confidence. I think once he gets comfortable with the team and gains his confidence of old, we’ll all be in for a treat.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I’ll be honest he actually gets a ton of negativity from some of our fans but I think most of it lately is just because of a more general underlying disappointment in our Asian Cup exit. It’s really a mixed bag over there, some more knee jerk and some more level- analogous to NSC as you’d expect.

With regards to Alireza I think it’s really too soon to say how he’ll fare in PL. promising night against WBA makes me more optimistic. He still seems a bit tense/scared when I watch him and his chemistry with the other forwards a tad off. When you watched him in Holland he looked very confident and his body language was totally different; he would be a lot more outspoken on the field as well and had excellent chemistry with Werghorst who wasn’t even half as clinical as someone like Andone or Murray.

Hughton said next season is when we might see his full potential and I believe it; half the season was laden with setbacks and this other half is showing signs of gradual acclamation. For us as Iranian fans he’s one of the most exciting prospects we’ve had since our previous golden generation that featured lots of Bundesliga players (Mahdavikia, Karimi, Hashemian). Between him, Azmoun (who signed for Zenit) and Ghoddos (Amiens SC) there’s a mountain of expectations and eyes back home. It’s really different from what other BHA players might be experiencing; add that with his price tag which he himself is fully aware of and you get a situation where a player could easily crumble under pressure and lack of confidence. I think once he gets comfortable with the team and gains his confidence of old, we’ll all be in for a treat.

Great comments. Thank you. I think he's at the perfect club. The whole set up is designed to enable players to perform at their best. If they buy into the team ethic, they thrive. Having watched him last night I'd say he cares as much about others doing well as himself - and that's golden at the Albion. I know it was a team from a tier below us, but I'm very excited about what I saw and can see him being pivotal next season. He'll enjoy himself at Brighton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here