Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Right then. After that demonstration... VAR? Yes or No?

VAR

• Total voters

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So why was our second goal on VAR? Controversial too? Don't talk bollocks.

The only reason I can see is reviewing whether Murray fouled their defender. It was a slight nudge, but personally I think it was as obviously a good goal as the West Ham one.

Watfords screen notifications last week were excellent. Ours today was woeful almost non existent.

Exactly this.

Two things were wrong today -

1. No on screen notification, in fact the opposite - GOAL on screen etc.

Thirded. It also didn't help that the ref's 'hold on' gesture of pointing at the ball looked very similar to an instruction to play it. Coupled with 'goal' flashing up I assumed the check was over. I also felt they should have left the image of the offside on the screen longer, we barely had a chance to see it.

Burn was offside clear as day, another set of officials would have flagged VAR or not.

The game as we know it is over. The disallowed goal, did West Ham appeal, did anyone appeal? If it was offside the the lino should have flagged, that's why he's there. Having seen it on TV it was very very close but was off side, but the lino missed it so one nil to us. Had it been a Hammers goal I don't think anyone would have screamed 'Off Side' because it was so close. As for our second goal, we'd celebrated, Ryan had run his 100 yards and run back again, everyone was ready to take the kick off and yet still the Ref had his hand in his ear checking. This must have been a full two to three minutes and still checking. At this point it was as if they were looking for a reason to chalk it off.
I'm on the fence. Let's check only if the lino puts his/her flag up (or introduce the yellow flags as per US sports).

My understanding is with tight decisions linos are supposed to keep their flag down and let VAR sort it. West Ham didn't need to appeal, as has been mentioned a few times in the thread now, every goal is reviewed - they knew it would be too (and it was clear with the ref putting his finger to his ear). If we didn't have VAR the lino may have flagged it himself anyway because he wouldn't have the option of leaving it to VAR, so we can't really say it would have been accepted as a goal without VAR.

We'll get the benefit of some decisions this season as well.

As I've mention in another thread. We are terrible at playing people offside, and Glenn is pretty bad t staying onside, so I don't see us benefiting from VAR offside decisions this season. We're going to be relying on fouls and line calls (in out of play in the build up/in outside the penalty box) to give us VAR decisions to cheer.

Last edited:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Its horrible not being able to to jump for joy when we score from a cross or whatever. Even our second I thought it was being reviewed and was starting to get worried. Its especially annoying them to not telling the reason for the 'review'.

I dont think football is supposes to be so perfect. Yes for clear mistakes I like VAR, but I didnt think it would be used for things like a player being a hair offside, that should be down to the lino or ref imo.

Totally agree.
They have to sort this out.
But it could come down to this;
We could be in a position to qualify for Europe or relegation in the last game of the season and we need to win to qualify or go down.
A goal is scored against us to equalise which is just but clearly offside but missed by the officials so we neither qualify for Europe or we go back to The Championship.
But VAR rules it out and we pack our bags for Albania.
An exaggeration, maybe, but how many last day goals have gone in to decide a clubs future on the last day.
I don't think too many people would moan about VAR if that happens.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Did anyone genuinely NOT jump for joy today when Trossard equalised? I find it very hard to believe it spoilt the moment that much. Certainly didn’t for me.

The stricter handball law surrounding goals that Man City have just fallen foul of (like Wolves last week) is a much bigger problem than VAR I think.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
VAR just took a late winner from Man City for handball in the build up to a goal. Keeps us level with them on points and still in the hunt for the title!

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
And var now being even more ridiculous in the Man city game. Whilst on this occasion it's very funny it is utter insanity. Bollocks to this corporate tv led nonsense.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I am against.
There are now six officials for goodness sake , half a team .
It was better when the ref and two lino.s had control. The linesman's flag stayed down and the goal stood.....simple.
Of course we moaned and bitched about decisions but that was all part of an eventful game.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Hahahaha. Unlucky.

You can't buy off VAR, that's for sure.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
It's only used in this way for offside and balls being out of play, as they're objective decisions -- just like goal line technology. Beyond that, it's for clear and obvious mistakes.

Its just annoying that such minimal margins for a goal (offside) being picked up by a computer. Im not saying it because of today, its just its so minimal in the first place it takes a computer picking up a hair or a players ponytail flicking offside at the wrong moment is a joke, its a negative for me.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
The problem with VAR is the determined search for any infringement with the build up to the goal. If a corner occurred the same check wouldn't be done, and then scoring from the corner would be ok.

It should be more like cricket with Umpire's Call. If no offence is spotted on the field and the problem found is within a margin of error, then the decision should stand.

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
It’s killing the game full stop. Just watched Jesus score a late winner and it got chalked off. I don’t care that it was apparently the right decision it’s killing football. I won’t renew season ticket if it’s here to stay, I’ll follow another sport...

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
It’s killing the game full stop. Just watched Jesus score a late winner and it got chalked off. I don’t care that it was apparently the right decision it’s killing football. I won’t renew season ticket if it’s here to stay, I’ll follow another sport...

Cricket, or Rugby possibly?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Rules are rules and football rules are shit. How do we know... because VAR is showing us we have no idea about offside or handball. For the first time in 50 years the rules are being questioned. VAR is great... it's the rules that need changing.

p.s. Hated Trossards goal being chalked off but it was the right decision.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Totally agree.
They have to sort this out.
But it could come down to this;
We could be in a position to qualify for Europe or relegation in the last game of the season and we need to win to qualify or go down.
A goal is scored against us to equalise which is just but clearly offside but missed by the officials so we neither qualify for Europe or we go back to The Championship.
But VAR rules it out and we pack our bags for Albania.
An exaggeration, maybe, but how many last day goals have gone in to decide a clubs future on the last day.
I don't think too many people would moan about VAR if that happens.

Yeah it is tough, I bet West Ham fans loved VAR today haha

But tbh if a player just a hair offside, like really that narrow then we probably wouldnt be crying, I mean no West Ham players even realised or appealed today did they? If it was a clear mistake and offside missed like you say, then players, manager and the crowd would be appealing for an offside or even VAR automatically overturn the goal and save the day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here