Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Cold callers

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Chuck an unanswerable question to them, they are only call centre students, they wont know an answer and they hang up.
I have had a couple recently saying they understand i have been involved in a road accident.
Yes, I said, I lost a leg in the crash, what can you get for me.....strangely the line went dead.

Did something similar, asked them which one as I had had a number in recent weeks. Obviously nothing in their script for that answer.

OP should get a phone that displays numbers and if not recognisable don't pick it up. Take a note of the number and check it on here: https://who-called.co.uk

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
I get the "Windows help line, calling to fix your device" from "New York, India" quite often so if I feel particuly bored, I keep them on the line by following the instructions and responding with "don't see this, that etc". and after about 15 mins I say.."well the only thing I see is a white apple". That usually prompts some unsavory language and then click. I am told they are paid on how many call they make in an hour/day so the longer you keep them on the line the more it hurts them. Which is nice.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Only answer if it’s someone you know....surely you would have programmed your phone with friends and family....oh hang on maybe not

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
My landline and phone is with Sky. They have a free service called Sky Shield which works very well.
Basically you input all your friends,family and work numbers via your computer and if any one other than these phones calls they get put on hold and asked to state their name/company. I am then rung and their recording played back and then I can decide whether to accept or reject the call.
Most cold callers dont even bother once they get intercepted and hang up but in over two years I have had zero cold callers. Before I used to get 5 or 6 a week.
You can also switch the shield off and on via your mobile if your expecting a call you want to talk to.
As I said it works really well and it's free.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
They usually get a frosty reception from me at the door and perhaps a wind-up if they phone (from asking them if they are religious and whether or not their god will approve of them trying to scam people, to having a discussion about my BT internet which, of course, I don’t subscribe).

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
My father and his wife are both in their 70's and simply let their home phone ring and wait for the answer phone to kick in. If it's a family member or friend they pick up the phone, if it's someone who they consider a nuisance then they leave the answer phone to do it's job.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I get the "Windows help line, calling to fix your device" from "New York, India" quite often so if I feel particuly bored, I keep them on the line by following the instructions and responding with "don't see this, that etc". and after about 15 mins I say.."well the only thing I see is a white apple". That usually prompts some unsavory language and then click. I am told they are paid on how many call they make in an hour/day so the longer you keep them on the line the more it hurts them. Which is nice.

Yes, that's one of my favourite ' string ' scripts. I also pretend to be following their instructions and then I declare that I had a message pop up. When they ask what it says I spell it out F X C K X F F T W A T! Most of these calls come from India so it's fun listening to them working it out and then when the penny drops they get the hump.

Another fun idea is to very politely and with a deadly serious tone explain to them that you suffer from tourettes and wish to apologise in advance. You then have a nice little chat with the expletives of your choice added when you fancy it. :)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Only answer if it’s someone you know....surely you would have programmed your phone with friends and family....oh hang on maybe not

I don't answer if I don't recognise the number. If it's important they'll leave a message.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Don’t do what I did to the third one of the same evening which was to reply to the question “Is that Mr ...... “ I reply no he’s passed away” only to find out out several days later it was my bank, I had to attend the main branch with ID to get my entire banking system reinstated [emoji23]

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I tell them that if they want to take my time that's fine but I charge £40 per hour or part of an hour for consultancy and I need a billing address before we go any further. Strangely enough, nobody has yet agreed to pay.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Here you are, BG, Telephone preference service, they are very good and free. I’ve been signed up to it for years, I don’t get any cold calls etc. Recently signed my old Mum up, all nuisance calls have stopped for her as well..

I've been signed up to it for years too. It doesn't stop all such calls.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here