Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Mosque shooting in Christchurch, NZ

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
This act will result in for knows how many revenge attacks. I think we will still be suffering the consequences for a loooong time.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You may have forgotten or not be aware, but we had the right wing extremist nail bomber in London.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_London_nail_bombings

Three people died, many more injured and could have been worse. I heard the Brixton explosion in Clapham High Street.

Plus the cowardly murder of Jo Cox, and the Met/M15 have foiled several right wing plots including one to mass murder at a gay pride parade.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Plus the cowardly murder of Jo Cox, and the Met/M15 have foiled several right wing plots including one to mass murder at a gay pride parade.

Luckily they are few and far between. Unluckily they tend to be "lone wolf" attacks like this one in NZ and almost impossible to predict.

Predictable (but interesting) analysis on TV tonight. We can tend to think of the "far right" as an organised form of terrorism, but it is something quite different from the religious radicalisation we have witnessed and suffered from.

I stress I'm not making any comparative judgement on either beyond they are both very very wrong.

What appears to be happening is these right wing extremists would usually have very little social contact but are connecting anonymously with other nutters on the internet. There is also evidence they are particularly internet savvy as we have seen unfortunately today.

The big social media giants whilst not taking direct responsibility have really got to wake up and assist.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Luckily they are few and far between. Unluckily they tend to be "lone wolf" attacks like this one in NZ and almost impossible to predict.

Predictable (but interesting) analysis on TV tonight. We can tend to think of the "far right" as an organised form of terrorism, but it is something quite different from the religious radicalisation we have witnessed and suffered from.

I stress I'm not making any comparative judgement on either beyond they are both very very wrong.

What appears to be happening is these right wing extremists would usually have very little social contact but are connecting anonymously with other nutters on the internet. There is also evidence they are particularly internet savvy as we have seen unfortunately today.

The big social media giants whilst not taking direct responsibility have really got to wake up and assist.

That’s my assessment too. Lone or small groups, feeding off each others fascist bullsh*t online, idolising past evil killers across the globe.

Ironically, through someone I know who’s fairly senior at Google UK, the industry is loathed to see any control or regulation of internet content, as they see it as right wing government (e.g. Macron, EU, May) interference. Those libertarian values, are allowing fascists and all other haters to thrive.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It didn't though did it ? Not sure the point you are making. The failed Parsons Green bomber could have been a lot worse. The group of Muslims who were heading to an EDL demo armed to the teeth could have had horrific consequences. I could go on but it's pointless.

The point I am clearly making is replying to the belief that attacks like this have never happened in the UK when they have albeit rarely.

I was responding to this:

Would seem very strange if its white / right wing doing this as you don't get that even in the UK .

Which is clearly incorrect isn't it ?

It was a miracle Copeland didn't kill more. Three nail bombs, one right in the centre of Brixton market.

I went on to make that point that far right attacks are usually "lone wolf" and somewhat off the radar of the security services.

I'd also add that the "political beliefs" are usually somewhat secondary. Copeland was clearly mentally ill and reports are surfacing that the bloke in NZ appears to have snapped over something, somewhat recently.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I do remember, I grew up in Dulwich. As terrible as it was and how much worse it could have been 3 dead is not on the same level as 49

This is quite a surreal debate. Copeland went out to kill hundreds and was luckily unsuccessful. I'd put that down to our stronger gun laws.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I do remember, I grew up in Dulwich. As terrible as it was and how much worse it could have been 3 dead is not on the same level as 49

The gruesome figures matter not. The intention was the same.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
The point I am clearly making is replying to the belief that attacks like this have never happened in the UK when they have albeit rarely.

It was a miracle Copeland didn't kill more. Three nail bombs, one right in the centre of Brixton market.

I went on to make that point that far right attacks are usually "lone wolf" and somewhat off the radar of the security services.

I'd also add that the "political beliefs" are usually somewhat secondary. Copeland was clearly mentally ill and reports are surfacing that the bloke in NZ appears to have snapped over something, somewhat recently.
You brought up an attack that happened 20 years ago. Then before that ? These sort of attacks are so bloody rare but it's almost if you are using it to justify the point you are making. Compare these far right attacks to Islamic attacks in the UK is pathetic and desperate. There's no contest.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
You brought up an attack that happened 20 years ago. Then before that ? These sort of attacks are so bloody rare but it's almost if you are using it to justify the point you are making. Compare these far right attacks to Islamic attacks in the UK is pathetic and desperate. There's no contest.

I'm not comparing anything and clearly made that point.

I did that very deliberately since quite there are a few poster on here who will subtlety (and less subtlety) attempt to make political capital out of an attack like this.

That's not me - I'll never get into that. All terrorism is wrong, it's never acceptable and for the record the IRA did their best to kill me in Warrington. If the first bomb had gone off I wouldn't be posting this.

I'm the first to slap down anyone who defends it for whatever reason.

I was talking about some analysis on the television from an expert that pointed out the very difference you oddly assume I'm not asserting.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I'm not comparing anything and clearly made that point.

I did that very deliberately since quite there are a few poster on here who will subtlety (and less subtlety) attempt to make political capital out of an attack like this.

That's not me - I'll never get into that. All terrorism is wrong, it's never acceptable and for the record the IRA did their best to kill me in Warrington. If the first bomb had gone off I wouldn't be posting this.

I'm the first to slap down anyone who defends it for whatever reason.

I was talking about some analysis on the television from an expert that pointed out the very difference you oddly assume I'm not asserting.

Fair enough and i quite agree.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
tarrant.jpg

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-47590685

The main suspect in the mosque shootings that killed 49 people in New Zealand on Friday has appeared in court on a single murder charge.

Australian Brenton Tarrant, 28, appeared in the dock in a white prison shirt and handcuffs. Further charges are expected to be made against him.

PM Jacinda Ardern said Mr Tarrant had five guns and a firearms licence, adding: "Our gun laws will change."

Two others are in custody. None of those detained had a criminal record.

Mr Tarrant was remanded in custody without plea and is due appear in court again on 5 April.

The first victim of Friday's attack has been named by his family as Daoud Nabi, 71, who moved to New Zealand from Afghanistan in the 1980s.

The identities of the other victims have not yet been released.

A total of 48 people were wounded in the shootings. Among those injured are two young boys - aged two and 13. Eleven of those being treated at Christchurch Hospital are in a critical condition in intensive care, chief of surgery Greg Robertson said.

Bangladesh, India and Indonesia all say some of their citizens were killed in the shooting and others are unaccounted for.

On Saturday, Christchurch Mayor Lianne Dalziel expressed "revulsion" at this "act of terrorism" and voiced solidarity with the victims.

"We have welcomed new people into our city. They are our friends, they are our neighbours," she told reporters. "We want to come together to support them."

"The offender was in possession of a gun licence. I'm advised that this was acquired in November of 2017," Ms Ardern said.

She said New Zealand intelligence services had been stepping up investigations into far-right extremists, but added: "The individual charged with murder had not come to the attention of the intelligence community nor the police for extremism."

The minimum legal age to own a gun in New Zealand is 16, or 18 for military-style semi-automatic weapons.

All gun-owners must have a licence, but most individual weapons do not have to be registered - New Zealand is one of the few countries where this is the case.

Applicants for a firearm licence must pass a background check of criminal and medical records, including factors such as mental health and domestic violence.

Once a licence has been issued, gun-owners can buy as many weapons as they want.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here