Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Is Anthony Joshua going down to the fat man?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Hardly a journeyman he's 31-1 with his only loss coming by majority decision to Joseph Parker in New Zealand for the WBO world title in a fight which many people felt that he won.

Nearly everyone thought AJ would win but anyone who knows anything about boxing knew this guy was a credible opponent and would be a handful.

Good post, and no-one would be fighting for a world championship without reason. Although he did look a bit fat and blubby and to be fair I thought he was just a warm up for something a bit more serious in the future. Happened to Tyson, happened to Lennox, even Ali v Spinks. Sometimes these prima donnas need a kick up the arse.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Like the fact that Ruiz is asking for a rematch in Mexico. Not only can he bang but he's obviously not stupid either. One of the issues with Joshua is all that bulky muscle and just imagine that in Mexico with thinner air.
To be fair Ruiz has had the home leg ( he's American born and bred) Joshua should get a chance on his home turf now

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
This thread sums it up for me why boxing is already turning me off, younger casual fan enjoying the sport only to get screamed at from every outlet I go to that:

"Heavyweight boxing is the best, anyone can get caught at any time, it's why we love the sport"

But also

"Anyone who gets caught and loses in heavyweight boxing is awful"

Why should I care then? Why should anyone care? Let's all just got watch MMA where one defeat doesn't matter or hell lets all watch Pro Wrestling :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1135606396798550016[/tweet]

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
What’s the deal here?

I understand that Ruiz is likely to face the mandatory challenger before September which would / could mean that he would be defeated before the contractural rematch with Joshua is fought. I can’t see Joshua getting another crack at his titles for quite some time if Ruiz should be dethroned in the next fight.

Does that mean that AJ might be way down the list of those vying for the heavyweight crown. Or have I misunderstood?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
What’s the deal here?

I understand that Ruiz is likely to face the mandatory challenger before September which would / could mean that he would be defeated before the contractural rematch with Joshua is fought. I can’t see Joshua getting another crack at his titles for quite some time if Ruiz should be dethroned in the next fight.

Does that mean that AJ might be way down the list of those vying for the heavyweight crown. Or have I misunderstood?

Hearn will have to get negotiations done ASAP to get the rematch booked before the mandatory is called.
I believed Ruiz will most likely take the immediate rematch as he'll bank 5x more with AJ than he will elsewhere. Hearn will have the chequebook out, no doubt about that.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Wouldn't a rematch clause in a contract automatically stop Ruiz having another fight before the rematch? If he has lost the titles it negates the rematch obligation and purpose.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Wouldn't a rematch clause in a contract automatically stop Ruiz having another fight before the rematch? If he has lost the titles it negates the rematch obligation and purpose.

Nope. Sanctioning bodies trump promoters.

The WBO Mandatory is due in September, but I've heard the WBO have no intention of calling the mandatory if Hearn can get the rematch booked (as the WBO will most likely make much more $ from the rematch than the mandatory - Oh boxing politics).

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
Hearn will have to get negotiations done ASAP to get the rematch booked before the mandatory is called.
I believed Ruiz will most likely take the immediate rematch as he'll bank 5x more with AJ than he will elsewhere. Hearn will have the chequebook out, no doubt about that.
My understanding is that the mandatory is with the wbo, which would be Dillian Whyte. Which means Dillian will probably get stitched up again and they will look past him. Assuming he gets past Rivas.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Sorry to be a pedant but does that ^ mean that Ruiz could just relinquish the WBO belt and take Joshua rematch instead of White?

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
Sorry to be a pedant but does that ^ mean that Ruiz could just relinquish the WBO belt and take Joshua rematch instead of White?
I guess there are a number of permutations. It depends on how the wbo choose to handle it. The WBC stitched dillian up and didn't make wilder relinquish the belt. The wbo could just defer the mandatory if they choose. EH could exert some pressure on Dillian as he is boxing under the matchroom umbrella. Anything could happen.

I think that is one of the criticisms of how boxing is being run at the moment. There is a lot of ambiguity about the match making.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Not sure what the financial penalties would be of not doing the rematch but my concern would be that Al Haymon will do everything that he can to keep all the belts within the PBC. A potential undisputed heavyweight bout between Wilder and Ruiz would be a huge money spinner in the US and give showtime (who are struggling at the moment) a shot in the arm whilst potentially harming one of their main competitors in DAZN.

Was listening to the Costello and Bunce podcast last night and they were putting it out there that there was perhaps something not right in the Joshua camp. They were saying how slow Joshua looked at the public work out compared to normal and the fact that his face was clearly marked up from sparring. Then there was the delay to the ring walk, the fact that Joshua didn't look his relaxed self and why did Joshua's father got so animated with Hearn at the end. I recon something will come out in the wash eventually, perhaps the rumours of him being knocked out in sparring are true.

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
So many factors pointing towards something not being right in the AJ camp. The delayed ring walk (rumour knocking about that AJ suffered a panic attack before the fight surely not true?) and facial markings were odd but his dads reaction after the fight was the giveaway something was wrong. AJ looked awful, slow and far too heavy. Ruiz is an okay fighter but certainly not the best AJ has faced.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Not sure what the financial penalties would be of not doing the rematch but my concern would be that Al Haymon will do everything that he can to keep all the belts within the PBC. A potential undisputed heavyweight bout between Wilder and Ruiz would be a huge money spinner in the US and give showtime (who are struggling at the moment) a shot in the arm whilst potentially harming one of their main competitors in DAZN.

Was listening to the Costello and Bunce podcast last night and they were putting it out there that there was perhaps something not right in the Joshua camp. They were saying how slow Joshua looked at the public work out compared to normal and the fact that his face was clearly marked up from sparring. Then there was the delay to the ring walk, the fact that Joshua didn't look his relaxed self and why did Joshua's father got so animated with Hearn at the end. I recon something will come out in the wash eventually, perhaps the rumours of him being knocked out in sparring are true.

There's far too much say given to the likes of Eddie Hearn and Matchroom. If the sport is run by promoters rather than the various Belt issuers then the game is totally screwed.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
I'm not sure I buy all these rumours. He looked ok up until he got caught on the temple. He floored Ruiz with a nice combination and then looked to finish him quickly, in hindsight recklessly. He got caught with a wild left hook and looked concussed in the corner to me. Just didn't ever recover in the fight.

I think the wilder result against Breazele caused AJ to go for a spectacular knockout and he took too many risks. Ultimately paying the price.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

Sad to see boxing become less about the fights people want to see and more and more about the promoters and the pockets of TV companies

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here