Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Ahh, there he is. Many of us are prepared to engage, but you don't listen. Just like you did pre 2016
Sorry, but what is that supposed to mean? Rather than choosing to respond to the points raised, you have instead chosen to attempt to belittle me for highlighting what you did. A bit pathetic really. :shrug:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
So what have we concluded nearly 75,000 entries later ?

Nothing. Entrenched positions and no-one actually knowing what the future holds. Pretty much as it was when we started.

Neither of those statements is true. I was a Brexiteer but have been thoroughly pissed off by the UK's negotiating stance (or rather, lack of it). Last week, beorhthelm said much the same thing so there at least two of us (and probably more) who have changed positions.

And we know a lot more about the future than we did. We know we're definitely leaving, something that some were questioning a couple of years ago. We know what sort of deal is on the table. We know that no matter how bad the government gets there's not going to be a general election. We know that Chris Grayling is an idiot and anything he touches will go wrong ... there's plenty about the future that we know

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Agree, but we can always turn it down, we don't have to sign up to every deal that's put to us. Are you sure you're not scaremongering, we all know about that, "vote leave and the economy will tank" etc etc. Nobody did and it hasn't.

We don't have to sign up to every deal but after nearly three years we have signed up to just two deals, whilst throwing away over 750 deals.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Agree, but we can always turn it down, we don't have to sign up to every deal that's put to us. Are you sure you're not scaremongering, we all know about that, "vote leave and the economy will tank" etc etc. Nobody did and it hasn't.

But this is just an example of what happens when you move into big wide world of International trade. America are setting out their terms for any deal, Russia have prevented any negotiation on Britain's WTO negotiations, USA, Australia, New Zealand and 20 others have raised objections to our WTO schedule submissions, leaving us as the only country in the world with nothing but WTO's default tariffs. And then there's still the EU to negotiate with.

It's a bit different to when we were part of the largest trading bloc in the world.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
This is going to happen more and more. The vote and the way it has been handled has shown the world that the UK is prepared to scupper itself on a truly phenomenal scale because some of it's residents so despise immigration, so that is now the immediate inclusion in any trade deal knowing that any UK Government such as the current one which insists on pandering to the xenophobic attitudes of this minority will have to walk it back, putting it at an immediate negotiating disadvantage.

Wasn't that also what the Indian PM said!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Governments mess around with the NHS at their peril and they know it. For many of us, remainers and leavers alike, the NHS is sacrosanct.

Too late. The Tories don't care and even though their party is being torn apart, they will preserve their millions, and will ruin the NHS. It is already well on the slide, with 42000 nursing vacancies, no bursary for British nurses to train at university, and 12000 doctors vacancies.
Ambulance services stretch beyond capacity, and hospital transport already out to tender.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

Well, we haven’t left yet, we are still receiving all the benefits of the EU, but, growth has shrunk by 0.4 % in December. I believe an estimate of what Brexit has cost us in investment, so far , was put at 2.5 billion.

You insist yourself and wider family are all intelligent, educated people, so, why did you vote leave?
And, personally I don’t give a fig where we are as a country in 100 years, I’m more worried about the next 20.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
But this is just an example of what happens when you move into big wide world of International trade. America are setting out their terms for any deal, Russia have prevented any negotiation on Britain's WTO negotiations, USA, Australia, New Zealand and 20 others have raised objections to our WTO schedule submissions, leaving us as the only country in the world with nothing but WTO's default tariffs. And then there's still the EU to negotiate with.

It's a bit different to when we were part of the largest trading bloc in the world.

Exactly. We have 27 other countries minding out back, but we want to step outside and try to trade on our own. It leaves us very vulnerable, but to the billionaires, we will have this cosy little tax haven, and devil take the hindmost.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Sorry, but what is that supposed to mean? Rather than choosing to respond to the points raised, you have instead chosen to attempt to belittle me for highlighting what you did. A bit pathetic really. :shrug:

Let's be honest, you wouldn't be interested in anything I or any other leaver said on the subject of Brexit, and for my part Mrs Shingle is banging on in the backround about a fish pedicure, and the prospect of venturing out into the heat and humidity of a Cambodian night to watch the Mrs have her feet nibbled by countless hungry fish is infinitely more appealing than discussing Brexit with you, like I've said you aint interested. :wave:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Our company (US Based - multi Billion turnover) has just let UK customers know of what might be expected in each scenario.

'$co cannot import Product shipments into the UK if its no longer in the EU Trade & Customs Union. Under CIP Airport, $co will pay to transport the shipment to any major airport in the UK per customer needs. The customer will need to assign its freight agent to import the shipment, pay any applicable import fees and transport the shipment for final delivery to the customers desired site in the UK'

Not sure how many of our 1200 UK customers will be geared up for the above?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Let's be honest, you wouldn't be interested in anything I or any other leaver said on the subject of Brexit, and for my part Mrs Shingle is banging on in the backround about a fish pedicure, and the prospect of venturing out into the heat and humidity of a Cambodian night to watch the Mrs have her feet nibbled by countless hungry fish is infinitely more appealing than discussing Brexit with you, like I've said you aint interested. :wave:

Watching your Missus get her feet eaten alive, is preferable to the normal ‘burying your head in the sand ‘ practiced by a lot of leavers.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
What percentage of leave vote do you actually think believed that blurb, even Nigel Farage thought it ridiculous.

I don't know, but if it's 3.65% or more of the entire Leave vote that would be enough for Leave to lose it's majority. Can you tell me 634,751 or more people didn't believe it?

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

And how likely is a Government with people on the streets through shortages of food and medicine going to sell to them that it's turning it down?

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Our company (US Based - multi Billion turnover) has just let UK customers know of what might be expected in each scenario.

'$co cannot import Product shipments into the UK if its no longer in the EU Trade & Customs Union. Under CIP Airport, $co will pay to transport the shipment to any major airport in the UK per customer needs. The customer will need to assign its freight agent to import the shipment, pay any applicable import fees and transport the shipment for final delivery to the customers desired site in the UK'

Not sure how many of our 1200 UK customers will be geared up for the above?

What does this international trading company really know about international trading though? I bet they don't know as much as that nice Mr Johnson and that nice Mr Rees-Mogg, they talk posh so they must understand these things better. So it's all just more project fear!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Beware of infections from the fish having nibbled other people's feet before hers. I thought your family were intelligent?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
As a dyed in the wool remainer, don’t personalise it so much. If a no deal goes through, it will not be an evil act, it will be the choice of the electorate, a fxxkin stupid choice but the people’s choice nonetheless.
The electorate didn't choose the *no deal* abyss.

It would be a deliberate act by a cruel Government to impose it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here