Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Preston North End Vs Man Utd

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Simon Grayson just admitted it was a perfectly good goal and they are clutching at straws to say it was offside. Hodgson said it was clever play by Rooney. Rooney voted MOM.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
While the rule does take into consideration 'interfering with an opponent', having just looked at the gif above, I think this falls into that category of technically correct, but frustrating that it doesn't count. Like when a defensive line steps up to catch one opponent offside, so when his team mate burst through from onside, they're on their back foot. The offside player created an advantage for his team, but the defenders aren't supposed to stop playing because they think they are going to get a decision, they should play to the whistle.

Rooney is not between the keeper and the ball, he isn't blocking the keeper's view or physically stopping the keeper from making the save, so the keeper should have played as if Rooney isn't going to touch it, that way if Rooney doesn't the keeper is on his way and hopefully across in time to save it, if it does touch rooney and get deflected in, it won't count because it will be offside.

I understand it's frustrating and the law should reflect this, but it doesn't.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
He wasnt interfering with an opponent, he was just standing there and then he gets slated for what was a stonewall certain penalty.
It clearly wasn't a penalty as there was no contact.

I think his mere presence in goal #2 put the keeper off, or may well have done so. The keeper may not have known that Rooney was in an offside position had he touched it, thereby putting some doubt as to where to dive.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
Hodgson is talking utter shit, says it wasnt a dive, best he goes to spec savers,

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Re the penalty Roy says it's Ok....Rooney was taking evasive action. So that's OK. Worryingly the Neville boy was making sense to me...repeating "it was a dive" a fair few times.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
If Ashley Young or, God forbid, a foreign player had won that penalty they'd be crucified. Mind you, Phil Dowd had a stinker all round. How he didn't send Kevin Davies off just doesn't make any sense whatsoever...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If Ashley Young or, God forbid, a foreign player had won that penalty they'd be crucified. Mind you, Phil Dowd had a stinker all round. How he didn't send Kevin Davies off just doesn't make any sense whatsoever...

Fair point. Nailed on second yellow

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Rooney dived for the penalty. The keeper didn't touch him. The TV pundits say despite lack of contact, it was a foul. These are the same pundits who on another day will argue over the validity of a foul because of minimal, almost imperceptible contact. In this case, I have to assume it's the Rooney Rule we have heard so much about!

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
three questions
did Rooney take evasive action ? yes
did Rooney dive to the ground? yes
was it a foul? debatable
of course Rooney could have taken evasive action and landed on his feet
and claimed a foul but refs very rarely give fouls if players stay upright.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Rooney dived for the penalty. The keeper didn't touch him. The TV pundits say despite lack of contact, it was a foul. These are the same pundits who on another day will argue over the validity of a foul because of minimal, almost imperceptible contact. In this case, I have to assume it's the Rooney Rule we have heard so much about!

Of course he dived. You know it, I know it, the whole world knows it. Its just the typical response from people within the game who close ranks and defend the indefensible.
Over recent years, the attitude of professional footballers has changed. They no longer feel it necessary to demonstrate skill within the penalty area. If they can take the easy route, they now will. The art of beating a goalkeeper, one on one, is almost dead. Players are not developing these skills. They don't have to. They now have carte blanche to trip, fall, stumble or dive to the ground at the slightest opportunity. They don't have to be in control of the ball. Just reach it a split second before the keeper, toe poke it miles past him and make sure you brush against him and go down.
They are letting themselves down, they are letting the game down and most of all, they are letting the fans down. Parents want their kids to watch skillful, exciting football not blatant cheating and gamesmanship at every opportunity. Fathers and Grandfathers will talk about the likes of Greaves and Best who never short changed the spectators. Whose only thought was to use their skill to go round the keeper and score. They didn't want to cheat and they didn't want to take the risk of the penalty being missed. They backed their skill and were confident enough to display it.
Rooney isn't skillful enough to go round a keeper and he knows that he will get away with diving. Why not, he thinks...everyone else is doing it and when those inside the game condone it, then he and all the others have the licence to do it.
The juvenile and immature Michael Owen dived to win a penalty in the World Cup v Argentina in 1998, after the opposition had done likewise. ' Just evening it up '..I heard people say at the time. The rot had started to set in and as the PL has developed into a largely non-British and world-wide affair, it has simply got worse and worse.
Its the goalies I feel sorry for. They can't challenge for the ball anymore. How are they suppose to win the ball and not make contact. Its just ridiculous. And yet people like Roy Hodgson are saying that strikers are entitled to go down at the slightest touch. ENTITLED. WHY? They have a responsiblity to the paying public to try and demonstrate some skill rather than cheat. They are strong, fit athletes, who manage to survive rigorous challenges in other areas of the pitch and stay on their feet.
There is no will within the game to stop it now. Its too deeply entrenched in their mentality and the seeds of cheating are now sown in the minds of youngsters for years to come.Thats the legacy that they are leaving us with.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I agree with [MENTION=17103]Mo Gosfield[/MENTION] although one might say that strikers have a duty to the paying public to win matches, but winning matches with a nasty taste in the mouth is no fun.

Football needs the equivalent of the TMO that rugby has for penalties and contentious goals. It would be so simple to put in place.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I have to agree with Mo. Looking at some of the national papers comments, the number of people who are adamant that was indeed a penalty amazes me. And not always United fans. We seem to have succeeded in brainwashing the audience as well as the players that attempting to tackle is now illegal.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I agree with [MENTION=17103]Mo Gosfield[/MENTION] although one might say that strikers have a duty to the paying public to win matches, but winning matches with a nasty taste in the mouth is no fun.

Football needs the equivalent of the TMO that rugby has for penalties and contentious goals. It would be so simple to put in place.

100% agree. The time spent arguing with the ref etc could just as easily be the ref calling the TMO and, in this case, asking 'please check whether there was contact'. Immediately obvious from a replay there wasn't, negative response, yellow card for Rooney, free kick for PNE, play on. It works brilliantly in rugby and those who say it would 'disrupt the flow of the game' are talking bollocks. Surely better to have a much higher % of correct decisions, and a few like this overturned would stop most of the diving anyway.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
110% definite DIVE.

Roy defended him because there would be mass hysteria over the tabloids reading something along the lines of:

"England Manager brands England Captain a CHEAT"

... and a dozen other back-page articles on the episode.

Hodgeson could ONLY say that it wasn't a dive, he had no option to say otherwise.

- There was no contact.
- Rooney let his foot drag hoping to catch the keeper.
- Rooney could have jumped over the keeper, he had enough time to take action.

CHEAT.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
100% agree. The time spent arguing with the ref etc could just as easily be the ref calling the TMO and, in this case, asking 'please check whether there was contact'. Immediately obvious from a replay there wasn't, negative response, yellow card for Rooney, free kick for PNE, play on. It works brilliantly in rugby and those who say it would 'disrupt the flow of the game' are talking bollocks. Surely better to have a much higher % of correct decisions, and a few like this overturned would stop most of the diving anyway.

Could I suggest harsher punishment? If the penalty for preventing a clear goal scoring opportunity is a red card shouldn't the penalty for trying to create one illegally also be red? Not sure how I feel about this, but worth discussing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here