Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Sian Massey

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Let’s for getting her gender for a minute.

****ing disgrace. Should not be anywhere near a game with the implications of today. She is utterly woeful. Hopefully the FA finally realise how poor she is and mercifully pull the plug on her doomed career.

What if I wasn't thinking about her gender in the first place?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
In all seriousness that offside wasn't even in the five worst decisions in that game. The blatant handball for their second and the Millwall player thinking he was actually playing in the Six Nations for their first are at the very top.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
She made an error but if you want to blame anyone, blame the FA for not having VAR for all the quarter finals. Nothing about 'championship' clubs installing it, just need tv cameras at various angles (not sure what some people think VAR is!!!). There were plenty of cameras at the game so VAR could have been used.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
What!

She has one job, and failed miserably.

Everyone I was with in the pub said 'offside' - it was only on replay did it appear it was just on. Montoya was moving very fast, and basically impossible for the assistant ref to both look down the defensive line AND work out exactly when Stephens played the ball.

The point 'what did she do wrong', was really 'what did she do wrong that any other assistant ref wouldn't have done', considering that for the very first time this season we have a post singling out an assistant referee, when we've been on the wrong side of bad decisions many times this season

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Let’s for getting her gender for a minute.

****ing disgrace. Should not be anywhere near a game with the implications of today. She is utterly woeful. Hopefully the FA finally realise how poor she is and mercifully pull the plug on her doomed career.

Clearly you can't forget her gender, otherwise you wouldn't have raised it.

She made an error. It's happen a thousand times before. The speed that Montoya was going at, it hardly a surprise.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
She got a difficult, marginal decision wrong (that many others - me included - thought was the right decision until I got a message from a mate watching TV). Fair play to you if that never happens to you in your job.

She probably had a slightly better view than you!!

Regardless, i’m sure many linesmen have to make an educated guess in such circumstances and when they get lucky it’s regarded as a brilliant decision, alternatively they are regarded as useless.

VAR lighting and cameras should be a must for all PL, Championship and FA Cup quarter finals onwards, where the stakes are so high.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
No, it wasn't. Far from it.

You haven't seen her often then, or your viewpoint at the stadium isn't a good one to judge from. She has been consistently dreadful at the Amex recently - getting offside calls wrong because she is too often not in line with play, and frankly guessing on throw-ins.

I've had a look, and I'm still right. Best of luck to her, in her career, but the truth is she isn't very good.

We did, despite her error, and that is great, obviously. She is probably as pleased as we are, that we did.

You haven't watched much PL football if you don't think she's very good.

See, we can all play that game :shrug:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Here's the screengrab.................... bearing in mind the pace Montoya was running at, and the line of 4 players Massey needs to be able to see through (Montoya in the way as she looks across for sure), it's not the most heinous of bad decisions..................

Jurgen.jpg

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
No, it wasn't. Far from it.

You haven't seen her often then, or your viewpoint at the stadium isn't a good one to judge from. She has been consistently dreadful at the Amex recently - getting offside calls wrong because she is too often not in line with play, and frankly guessing on throw-ins.

I've had a look, and I'm still right. Best of luck to her, in her career, but the truth is she isn't very good.

We did, despite her error, and that is great, obviously. She is probably as pleased as we are, that we did.

Don't understate. Should team up with Friend (worst referee).
Worse linesperson ever and predictable as well

https://www.northstandchat.com/show...h-Thread-***&p=8819722&viewfull=1#post8819722

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
In all seriousness that offside wasn't even in the five worst decisions in that game. The blatant handball for their second and the Millwall player thinking he was actually playing in the Six Nations for their first are at the very top.

But it was retribution when he 'converted' his penalty though!

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
The only issue in that offside decision is why VAR wasn't there to help her. If people think that was an easy decision to make in any way, shape or form in real time, then I suggest they have a go at being a linesman themselves as they clearly have absolutely no idea.

Furthermore, the fact that we've also got a whole thread dedicated to her performance based on one mistake yet I don't ever remember a whole thread dedicated to a male linesman / assistant referee on here really does reflect badly on us as a fan base and a message board.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Here's the screengrab.................... bearing in mind the pace Montoya was running at, and the line of 4 players Massey needs to be able to see through (Montoya in the way as she looks across for sure), it's not the most heinous of bad decisions..................

View attachment 106097

Surely they should be able to appreciate there is a blue shirt ~1 yard nearer to the goal line than a yellow? In addition the two yellow shirts are on the line, more or less, both blue shirts inside the box, this should make things easier!

Would should you do though if you aren't sure though, raise the flag for offside or not?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere

View attachment 106097

That screen grab only makes the decision even more appalling. She is standing exactly where she should be looking straight across the pitch with the 18 yard line as her reference point. She is a highly experienced official and she has positioned herself there precisely to anticipate offside infringements and then gets it completely wrong.

No doubt the Millwall fans were calling “offside” every time we played the ball forwards, especially in the dying seconds of the game...I know I would be...but the line officials job is to ignore that and make the right call based on what she sees.

There’s no way she should have fluffed that.

I don’t know whether anyone else noticed the exchange between March and Sian when she awarded a goal kick to Millwall which was clearly a corner kick, but (whilst I’m not a pro lip reader) Solly references “specsavers” as he throws the ball to Martin.

All this guff about sexism and misogyny only proves my point. If that was a male assistant ref he wouldn’t be officiating in such a high profile game next week, he’d be running the line at Southend or Morecambe...but because it’s a lady, she’ll be doing a PL game. She won’t be sanctioned because she is lacking a knob and it’s all about inclusion rather than aptitude these days.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
All this guff about sexism and misogyny only proves my point. If that was a male assistant ref he wouldn’t be officiating in such a high profile game next week, he’d be running the line at Southend or Morecambe...but because it’s a lady, she’ll be doing a PL game. She won’t be sanctioned because she is lacking a knob and it’s all about inclusion rather than aptitude these days.

You're talking shit there. This has never happened

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
It is ridiculous to say that we should 'forget her gender'.

I would imagine that she is the ONLY lino that people know the name of, due to the fact that she is a woman. Other linos make ridiculous decisions week in, week out, but they are forgotten.

Her occasional mistakes (and she makes no more than any of her colleagues) are magnified due to her being instantly recognisable, and due to her gender.

disagree ,most refs /lino`s are on a hiding to nothing from players managers fans alike and abused on a weekly basis at games on social media etc and they expect it so why not her ,not saying its right but am sure she wouldnt have it any other way.
Yes of course people are going to remember her as she is the only female like Mike Dean is the only utter shyster.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
The only issue in that offside decision is why VAR wasn't there to help her. If people think that was an easy decision to make in any way, shape or form in real time, then I suggest they have a go at being a linesman themselves as they clearly have absolutely no idea.

Furthermore, the fact that we've also got a whole thread dedicated to her performance based on one mistake yet I don't ever remember a whole thread dedicated to a male linesman / assistant referee on here really does reflect badly on us as a fan base and a message board.

Where's the thread on Chris Kavanagh? He's the one who had a truly poor game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here