Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton has "gone for it" but has just been unlucky

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Unlucky or...just not prepared??

It was in November last year when Hughton talked about his views on the forthcoming Winter transfer window, he was asked whether he would be looking at new signings.
His answer was along the lines of that he was happy with the squad of players he'd got already, and that he wouldn't be looking to change too much.

I can well remember that answer, mainly because...
1. I thought how silly it was to have that view, especially knowing how poorly we play through the midfield (far too slowly).
2. How much we rely on one (ageing) striker to get most of our goals.
3. How bad our ball retention is, especially in the oppositions half.

Fast forward to where we are presently at...
How does that lack of transfer window activity look to you as an Albion fan now?
Did you have the same view as I did at that time, or did you agree with what Hughton said?

I disagree with you on that, because:

1. Whenever CH or TB say publically they are happy with the squad, it is 100% the right thing to say for many reasons including squad morale, not confirming deficiences to rivals, and because they are positive people who work hard with what they have to hand.
2. It’s all part of their expertly executed secretive approach to signings. They may or may not have had targets in the pipeline, perhaps they didn’t come off, but they’re not going to tell us.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Chris Hughton will have his sell-by date bit overall has been a superb manager.
The biggest problem has been the recruitment .
With the exception of Ryan and gross (last season) I wouldn’t say any of our recent signings have been any better than their price tag, and in the case of locadia and Ali j, way below.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Chris Hughton will have his sell-by date bit overall has been a superb manager.
The biggest problem has been the recruitment .
With the exception of Ryan and gross (last season) I wouldn’t say any of our recent signings have been any better than their price tag, and in the case of locadia and Ali j, way below.

Izquierdo before injuries. (£13.5m is modest PL money).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just rate knocky over locadia every day of the week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If only Knockaert could pass like Locadia & if Locadia could attack like Knockaert.

That would be quite some player.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
In my humble opinion, yes, it’s absolutely been to the detriment of our defensive solidity, for me the biggest difference is that Stephens is now a lone figure in the middle with Pröpper and Groß playing slightly more advanced.

And yet when Propper played this role against Watford we dominated the game and the midfield...

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
I agree with all of this post, I think we are in desperate need for a box to box player. I know this is contentious,but I think that Pritchard would have suited this roll to a tee.
Our midfield has been our weakest link for quite a few seasons now, and is the area that really needs addressing. Theirs is an important roll, assisting with defence, and supplying our forwards with ammunition, fallen short on many occasions.
Also my view. Bissouma and Kayal fit the bill but neither can get into the starting 11. If I see Stephens and Propper in the, starting line up against Huddersfield my heart will drop.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
What does "make your own luck" actually mean?

Good enough for what?

Do you really think we don't have a stronger squad than last season?

I think the cup run has indicated very clearly that we have a stronger squad. In each of these games, we've made wholesale changes to the side that has been featuring in League games, yet nearly every player that has featured has, for us, considerable Premier League experience.

I think you can certainly make a case that our starting XI is no stronger than last year, and with the additions made some disappointment there is valid. But suggesting our squad is no stronger - nah I'm not having that.

Getting in the box more often thus hopefully getting a few favourable decisions from the ref (fouls, free kicks near the area etc) - if we play too deep for most of the game we're never going to get an iffy penalty at the other end.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
If we took our chances, and were a bit meaner at the back - we'd be flying. I think Hughton has been unlucky in some regards, but I also think there are questions to be asked about the quality of coaching on the training ground. I think we need someone with a fresher outlook, but I'm reluctant to suggest Hughton should be fired because he's a good bloke and he's the done best job as Brighton manager that's ever been done.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Getting in the box more often thus hopefully getting a few favourable decisions from the ref (fouls, free kicks near the area etc) - if we play too deep for most of the game we're never going to get an iffy penalty at the other end.

Of late we’ve abandoned that deep lying Alamo defence.

Pushing up, we’ve allowed Mitrovic, Barnes, Wood, and Leicester to isolate Dunk/Duffy, and fill their boots.

Perhaps shrewd CH knew more about getting PL results than his NSC detractors after all.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol

Pushing up, we’ve allowed Mitrovic, Barnes, Wood, and Leicester to isolate Dunk/Duffy, and fill their boots.

Perhaps shrewd CH knew more about getting PL results than his NSC detractors after all.

Knew being the operative word.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX

Yes I agree. It's a tough pill to swallow playing the defensive game and relying on breakaways to Nick points. Fans get twitchy when you only have one or two shots all game. We should think how Man U have regained form since the departure of Moanioh..........not all gun ho and attack attack attack but a structured approach to defence and attack with speed to Nick points. Of course United have better faster players than us ( Gross, Stephens.....slow in attack ) so are more effective.
In my opinion it's why CH has used sparingly the like of Locadia, Ali, Bizzy, all very good players but not Premier league speed for defensive duties.......yet.Yes we have been unlucky but it's not all doom and gloom, players are being introduced and if or when they do the job Hughton requires of the then we will improve as a team. Bizzy is an exciting prospect but he also is a bit careless in his own half, when he improves this part of his game we can expect him to be a first team regular.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Also my view. Bissouma and Kayal fit the bill but neither can get into the starting 11. If I see Stephens and Propper in the, starting line up against Huddersfield my heart will drop.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

Do you mean as a pair? Because Propper's arguably our best player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here