Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2019

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Can someone explain to me what the actual **** this is all about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlgFo_Q9fE4

I haven't seen it yet but it is like a nightmare from my childhood. I mean this literally as I often had nightmares about TV characters so watching the trailer freaked the **** out of me. What is next Psycho Wombles, Brian and Zebedee take bad acid and massacre the magic roundabout.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I haven't seen it yet but it is like a nightmare from my childhood. I mean this literally as I often had nightmares about TV characters so watching the trailer freaked the **** out of me. What is next Psycho Wombles, Brian and Zebedee take bad acid and massacre the magic roundabout.

I want to see that. I have no recollection of ever watching the banana splits as a kid, but I love the idea of a real kids show being rebooted as a horror movie. It's the sort of sick whimsy I sometimes like in horror movies.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I want to see that. I have no recollection of ever watching the banana splits as a kid, but I love the idea of a real kids show being rebooted as a horror movie. It's the sort of sick whimsy I sometimes like in horror movies.

I will watch it, but mainly feel like it is a genre that could throw up some hidden gems.

There is something really disconcerting and disturbing about the whole idea.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Every other week i have a Spanish lesson. You know, for me to become reasonably fluent and understand, in particular, the bad mouthing delivered from the mother of my child to my child. I get the slightest gist at the minute, from his labelling me BIG DADDY, that she's infecting his 2 year old ears with commentary on my growing bulk. Anywho, i go to these lessons, a one-on-one with a petite lady who i think might be pregnant but i daren't comment, and most times come away with a new level confusion. Over the fortnight i don't do enough homework, and when i walk from the lesson i can mainly compute that i have paid £30 to disappoint someone, or someones if i include myself. I went today, and did badly. Pah times thrice!

To keep myself in the Spanish mode today, i rushed from la clase to la cine next door. My Mubi Go account said i can see for free the new Pedro Almodovar film. When i see his films, which i don't generally do on each release, it's usually in an audience partly made of Spanish folk. And within that crowd i hear people heartily chuckling. And equally so when the genre, to me, isn't a comedic one. So, it turns out, they're littered with cultural references that i am just not to get. This time around Pain and Glory, i am glad to say, seemed to allow me in. It stars Antonio Banderas, who acted well as the director obviously being Almodovar, in and out of reminiscence and possibility, crippled by the conflux of ego and time. I found it quite moving, the tone well kept so that light mirth could be found in amongst the regret. Religion, politics, sexuality
and art are brought in as varying thicknesses of fabric throughout the drama, and didn't all seem out of place.
And some of the words in sentences i grasped without reading the subtitles. So all in all it was a reasonable success.
I still promise to let the teacher down, though, when i go back in a quincena.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I went to see Inna De Yard yesterday, it has great reviews, but I was (dare I say this) disappointed.

It felt contrived (IMHO) and I was expecting more, um, Reggae? 5/10

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ok cinephiles, fairly certain this is the last time I'll be mentioning The Rewatchables podcast, but it would be remiss of me not to bring this week's episode to your attention.

Bill and Sean discuss:-

Bitch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid with...

...Aaron Sorkin.

Don't get much better than that.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Like the town itself, Once Upon A Time In Hollywood is a great sprawl of a thing without any real central focus. On the most superficial level it's a buddy movie, with DiCaprio as fading TV actor Rick Dalton and Pitt as his faithful retainer / long standing stunt double Cliff Booth, both now scrabbling about for work and reduced to watching reruns of Rick's old monochrome shows on ancient telly boxes. Not sure there are that many deeper levels to be honest, other than as a homage to a bygone era. This is a low-rent Hollywood devoid of glitz or very much glamour. Even the nighttime neon looks a bit pound shop. Up in the hills, in long and winding Cielo Drive, Rick lives in splendid top-end suburban isolation, catching only occasional glimpses of new next door neighbours Roman Polanski and Sharon Tate. Rick's got the kidney shaped swimming pool where he learns his lines, though its only a little one. Rick's just happy to be living in Hollywood, not just passing through. The birds sing, the cicadas chirrup, all seems fairly well with the world. Tho change is coming.

The film's a loving reconstruction of early seventies Tinseltown, shabby chic before that was a thing. Movie posters loom large. Radio tunes set the edge. There's movies within movies, all of the trademark Tarantino touches. I can see clearly now why Bruce Lee's daughter was not amused - unlike the sparse DoY matinee crowd. Seems a bit of a cheap shot just chucked in for no real reason other than some real and fleeting laughs. Just too much padding throughout really. Too much filler, not enough killer Tarantino.

To sum up, Once Upon A Time In Hollywood is a fairly watchable nigh-on three hours, especially with the gorgeous 35mm print. Tho I'm not sure I'll be rushing to watch it again anytime soon.

6/10
Just back from seeing this (have been away) and in agreement. First Tarantino for me that I felt dragged and was dull in places. The acting and location dressing were superb, but the film overall disappointed me.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton

Since this was my childhood era, the banana splits freeked out a lot of children at the time especially some of the characters. I seem to remember they had to tone it down at one point but I might be imagining that. I loved them but it did make some children cry watching it. I think its clever to build on that much like the clown horror movies.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Bait
A small British film that is getting a lot of good praise. It's shot like something from the 40s/50s - black and white with all the imperfections of flickering images, badly sync audio clearly recorded in a studio etc. It was quite good, very limited in where you can watch it, not on at either of the dukes in Brighton so I had to go to the Depot to watch it, but it was worth the trek.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The Farewell
This was the second Picturehouse secret cinema, this time at the Duke of Yorks. It was surprisingly busy considering you have to pay (the unlimited secret cinemas are included in the unlimited membership, so there's no extra charge so it's easier to take a risk and leave if it's not your thing). The film is about and American-Chinese woman whose family discovers her grandmother has cancer and they decide not to tell her (the grandmother). The family arrange a hasty marriage for the cousin of the main woman (played by Awkwafina who is a rising star in hollywood thanks to Ocean's Eight and Crazy Rich Asians) as an excuse for the family to get together before the grandmother dies. There is reluctance to invite Awkwafina because she isn't good at hiding her emotions and she might give it away, but she eventually makes her own way there. (That feels like a lot, but it isn't spoilery, that's the set up of the film, the bulk of it is the family drama and the bigger question of whether they are right to not tell her). Based on a true story, apparently. I mostly enjoyed it. Felt a little uncomfortable with some of the laughs, it was sometimes hard to tell the difference between 'oh look at how comical the chinese are with how they behave' and 'oh look how comical these particular people are with how they behave' but generally a decent film. Not one I would have chosen to see, but not one I wanted to walk out of.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
The Farewell
This was the second Picturehouse secret cinema, this time at the Duke of Yorks. It was surprisingly busy considering you have to pay (the unlimited secret cinemas are included in the unlimited membership, so there's no extra charge so it's easier to take a risk and leave if it's not your thing). The film is about and American-Chinese woman whose family discovers her grandmother has cancer and they decide not to tell her (the grandmother). The family arrange a hasty marriage for the cousin of the main woman (played by Awkwafina who is a rising star in hollywood thanks to Ocean's Eight and Crazy Rich Asians) as an excuse for the family to get together before the grandmother dies. There is reluctance to invite Awkwafina because she isn't good at hiding her emotions and she might give it away, but she eventually makes her own way there. (That feels like a lot, but it isn't spoilery, that's the set up of the film, the bulk of it is the family drama and the bigger question of whether they are right to not tell her). Based on a true story, apparently. I mostly enjoyed it. Felt a little uncomfortable with some of the laughs, it was sometimes hard to tell the difference between 'oh look at how comical the chinese are with how they behave' and 'oh look how comical these particular people are with how they behave' but generally a decent film. Not one I would have chosen to see, but not one I wanted to walk out of.

I had tickets to that on Friday night and entirely forgot to go. Not disappointed at the 8 quid spent for nowt.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I had tickets to that on Friday night and entirely forgot to go. Not disappointed at the 8 quid spent for nowt.

I was umming and ahhing about going, but went (I missed a cineworld one once and it was incredibles 2, which I wanted to see so that's always in my mind: maybe it'll one I want to see). If I hadn't, I wouldn't have felt like I missed out (and as a picturehouse member, it would have only been £5 that I wouldn't have been disappointed spending for nowt).

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It Chapter 2
Almost 3 hours. It felt long, too. I liked the film (I liked the first part, too). Seemed like the makers were a lot more confident in their abilities this time and went a bit bigger, a bit... 'more' on some of the scares.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
"Wheelman" is worth the watch. About a bank robbery getaway driver. It's on Netflix. 7/10

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
It Chapter 2
Almost 3 hours. It felt long, too. I liked the film (I liked the first part, too). Seemed like the makers were a lot more confident in their abilities this time and went a bit bigger, a bit... 'more' on some of the scares.
I saw this yesterday - thought it better than the first, and some good casting choices for the adult versions of the kids from the first film. Tension and action definitely racheted up from the first. Still not a fantastic film but entertaining none the less.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I saw this yesterday - thought it better than the first, and some good casting choices for the adult versions of the kids from the first film. Tension and action definitely racheted up from the first. Still not a fantastic film but entertaining none the less.

I liked Chapter 2 but not as much as the first.

I thought it went off the rails a bit in the middle when the adults all went and did their own thing for a bit. You just knew it was going to be a small set piece which ended in a Pennywise appearance. Ended up having the opposite effect to what I presume was intended - it's not scary if you know it's coming.

EDIT: Except for the old lady. That bitch can get in the f**king sea.

Overall though I thought it was good.

The director is apparently working on a 6 & 1/2 hour supercut; splicing both films together to make a 'definitive' version.

It's made me want to read the book again.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
After missing the secret film on Friday that i may not have much enjoyed, i became insistent, to myself and the woman who sometimes allows me to share a couch with her, on seeing a film. And a new one at that. That's right, the disinterested, it was time for MubiGo. What was free to watch at the Crouch End Arthouse? Yup, an Argentinian political thriller, called Rojo. The problem was that i didn't find it very thrilling, or fitting to be labelled that genre. It was set in the mid-70s, and seemed to look to emulate film quality, style (sudden soap operatic close-ups) and musical accompaniment (i could feel some Dirty Harry in there) of that time. The coup d'etat had gone through, and the episodes of what we see are renditions and mutterings of the effect on society, but i didn't feel this aired hugely to the unknowing, or the tension greatly build. I had been mildly excited to see Alfredo Castro listed as a performer, but he wasn't exactly subtle or realistic. All in all, a tale which didn't strike me, certainly in part for its appearance.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Bait
A small British film that is getting a lot of good praise. It's shot like something from the 40s/50s - black and white with all the imperfections of flickering images, badly sync audio clearly recorded in a studio etc. It was quite good, very limited in where you can watch it, not on at either of the dukes in Brighton so I had to go to the Depot to watch it, but it was worth the trek.

BAIT is on at Komedia Picturehouse from this Friday, sounds good

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here