Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Favourite top 3 UK breweries ?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Hall and Woodhouse ( badger beer)
Wadworths (when I was a student in the 1970s it was about the only decent beer you could get)
Tony Rebel (Love a Cwtch)

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Early days but some of the beers we had Saturday pre match at Unbarred were stunning.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Not surprised. But both Fullers & Dark Star have been ruined by the Japanese

Big statement there, how have they done that. Not one process has changed since Asahi bought the brewery so I’m very interested in your opinion on the changes.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Not surprised. But both Fullers & Dark Star have been ruined by the Japanese

Further to my other post, all the breweries acquired by Asahi have only ever seen investment and have never been sold off. The brands have all remained being brewed in their own brewery and have never been brewed elsewhere. There has been very little change at any brewery apart from making them better. The importance of authenticity of the brands is uppermost in the management thinking. Peroni for example is brewed bottles/kegged in Italy, Pilsner Urquell, Grolsch, Kozel to name a few are brewed in their original brewery. Grolsch is brewed in this country under licence by Molson Coors and not us but this was agreed well before Asahi bought the Grolsch brewery. This licence is ending soon, thankfully.

You may ask why I know this and why I am passionately putting the record straight. Well, I'm the Draught Quality Manager for Asahi and I'm afraid your post has no foundation.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You may ask why I know this and why I am passionately putting the record straight. Well, I'm the Draught Quality Manager for Asahi and I'm afraid your post has no foundation.

Hophead is terrible now, ever since they scaled it up and moved it to Chiswick. And this is based on the same pubs that had it previously including your own flagship pub on site at Chiswick.

Did they not sack all of the brewing team at Partridge Green recently + lose their sales team? Mainly due to loss of autonomy and creativity to do what they want? And the head brewer at Chiswick left for Bath Ales? My understanding was Asahi came in and put a lot of restriction on what can / can’t be done now essentially taking away what made both operations so great.

Very telling that Dark Star own social media pages which were usually very well updated have seen no activity since May.

Big beer is what it is, but generally nothing improves when they get their claws into something.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Hophead is terrible now, ever since they scaled it up and moved it to Chiswick. And this is based on the same pubs that had it previously including your own flagship pub on site at Chiswick.

Did they not sack all of the brewing team at Partridge Green recently + lose their sales team? Mainly due to loss of autonomy and creativity to do what they want? And the head brewer at Chiswick left for Bath Ales? My understanding was Asahi came in and put a lot of restriction on what can / can’t be done now essentially taking away what made both operations so great.

Very telling that Dark Star own social media pages which were usually very well updated have seen no activity since May.

Big beer is what it is, but generally nothing improves when they get their claws into something.

Sales team were offered to stay with Asahi, head Brewer was already leaving and there’s no restrictions and in fact there’s an expansion plan to supply. As I stated there’s no plans at all to change anything wholesale.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Courage, Morland and I see Greene King have just been bought by Li Ka - shing, sounds just like a cash register!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I had a few pints of Hophead yesterday straight out of a new polipin at a barbie and it was less than ordinary.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here