Stephens 7
Groß 7
Murray 6 (Maupay 64min, 7)
Locadia 6 (Andone 64min, 7)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
All you guys giving 9s and 10's, so this is the best we can hope for? No room for improvement? Don't get me wrong it was bloody wonderful to watch, for a change it was worth staying up late (I live in Aus). But hopefully there were no 9 out of ten performances. If we want to be a top ten team then we have to look at last night in terms of sixes and sevens. Have a look at Potters response to the match, happy but as he said still lots of room for improvement. However I will give 10/10 to the whole team for an obvious willingness to adapt and change. I would be worried if I was Murray, we now have some live wires up front and he may find it hard to keep his place.
In fairness, when was the last time you saw Albion play away from home as well as that? There do need to be 8s and 9s in there as far as I'm concerned. It was even for 5 minutes and after that we were the better side - comfortably at times. I dont remember Watford having 3 decent chances, never mind scoring. Their best chance came from a preventable March mistake.

If we play consistently at that level, we will finish somewhere between 7th and 13th, and will not be featuring anywhere near the relegation shake up.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think March and Gross may make way next week too...... Trossard and Mooy will be likely starters..... and Locadia could be getting splinters most of the season.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I really don’t know about that. We’ve gone from the completely predictable selections of CH to the polar opposite now....I can see GPott changing things regularly. Predicting the starting line up just became a lot harder.

I see Mooy as more competing with Stephens and Propper (difficult to drop either on yesterday’s showing though) not Gross, but Trossard with Gross, then two from Murray, Locadia, Andone and Maupay perhaps.

Quite how we get a new £20m CB into the lineup I don’t know.......of the three yesterday Duffy is probably the most vulnerable because his distribution isn’t the best, but he is such a colossus in the air we’d miss him.

Oh, and Bernardo.......most likely competing with Solly I guess.

Strength in depth now is fantastic - the above doesn’t even consider Bissouma, Bong, Bernardo.......and the youngsters.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I see Mooy as more competing with Stephens and Propper (difficult to drop either on yesterday’s showing though) not Gross, but Trossard with Gross, then two from Murray, Locadia, Andone and Maupay perhaps.

Quite how we get a new £20m CB into the lineup I don’t know.......of the three yesterday Duffy is probably the most vulnerable because his distribution isn’t the best, but he is such a colossus in the air we’d miss him.

Strength in depth now is fantastic - the above doesn’t even consider Bissouma, Bong, Bernardo.......and the youngsters.

Yes our squad looks really good.

From everyone being worried in the Summer, the actual recruitment seems very good.

We still have AJ and Izquierdo, though perhaps the former will go out on loan.

Oh and Balogun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Everybody an 8 except for Dunk and Burn who I give a 9 to (Burn just edging man of the match) and a 7 to Solly. The lower mark is that I felt he was not as dynamic pushing forward as Montoya was on the other side. There were a few occasions when he had the ball out wide and held back (the opposite of what he did away at Arsenal last season albeit having a more forward role that day). Hopefully, as he learns the new role he'll be more comfortable in charging forward but I think Bernardo will be equally as good.

nickjhs

NSC Patreon
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
In fairness, when was the last time you saw Albion play away from home as well as that? There do need to be 8s and 9s in there as far as I'm concerned. It was even for 5 minutes and after that we were the better side - comfortably at times. I dont remember Watford having 3 decent chances, never mind scoring. Their best chance came from a preventable March mistake.

If we play consistently at that level, we will finish somewhere between 7th and 13th, and will not be featuring anywhere near the relegation shake up.
So if you give 9's for individual performances where to from that? 9's on this game mean we will always be a bottom 8 team, constantly eyeing the relegation zone. I gave a 10/10 for embracing a new style, but I have a serious belief that there is way more improvement to come.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Ryan 7
Montoya 8.5
March 7
Duffy 8.5
Dunk 9
Burn 9
Propper 8
Stephens 8
Gross 8
Locadia 7
Murray 6

Andone 8
Maupay 8
Bernardo N/A

heathgate

NSC Patreon
Apr 13, 2015
I really don’t know about that. We’ve gone from the completely predictable selections of CH to the polar opposite now....I can see GPott changing things regularly. Predicting the starting line up just became a lot harder.

Agreed re Gross... it's great to have the depth, a test indeed for the management team juggling the various permutations.

I was happy with the squad before yesterday's game, and it looks like we have enough strength to compete with all bar the top 6 or 8 maybe.... happy days

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
It's all about opinions init. I thought March had a better game than Murray and Gross. He goofed up but so did Dunk, Stephens and Duffy by giving away free kicks in dangerous areas. Don't understand why he is getting so much stick. Anyway 3 points in the bag. Cant wait till Saturday.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
I can't really explain it, I just know I was constantly shouting at him and if I had any hair would have been pulling it out.

I'd be really interested to get hold of a copy of the full match and give it another watch, would be nice anyway to rewatch a good win. If I do I will be reflecting on my assesment of Montoya, it's bizarre that I thought he was so poor and everyone else thought he was so great.

Odds are I am wrong, I accept that.

You were right. He was terrible.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
You were right. He was terrible.

I'm not sure we can say any of our players yesterday were 'terrible'.

I thought both wing backs played well besides one glaring error from Solly.

My only concern (other than obvious teething problems with a new system) was Duffy's ability to hand them back possession repeatedly.

He'll adjust though.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Very impressed by Maupay's goal. Not since George Parris has a Brighton player ever scored a one on one with the keeper as confidently.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Very impressed by Maupay's goal. Not since George Parris has a Brighton player ever scored a one on one with the keeper as confidently.

Murray scored one almost identical to yesterdays in his first season with us. It was at Withdean, can't remember who it was against but it may have been his 2nd home match for us. We were facing the east end, he went around the keeper, onto his left foot, slightly tight angle and calmly and instinctively tucked it in.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Murray scored one almost identical to yesterdays in his first season with us. It was at Withdean, can't remember who it was against but it may have been his 2nd home match for us. We were facing the east end, he went around the keeper, onto his left foot, slightly tight angle and calmly and instinctively tucked it in.

Oh. Yes. Oldham. (Looked it up.) I was there too!

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I think Maty Ryan's contribution has gone under the radar a bit. Did really well with the ball at his feet to take the pressure off and help us play out from the back.

March did well but loses a point from me for that cock up which really should have cost us a goal. Hopefully he will learn from that, I'm sure it will come with time as he gets used to playing defensively without a full-back behind him.

The double sub was a masterstroke which Potter deserves full credit for, and the movement of Andone and composure of Maupay for their goals were fantastic to see.

Montoya looked back to his best as well, superb first half and was instrumental in the crucial second goal.

The back three were just monstrous, I don't need to bang on about how good they were. I liked the way there was always one of them pushing into the midfield to win the ball back which prevented Watford getting any time or space to create chances. Duffy will need a bit of time to work on his distribution.

Stephens bossed the middle and should take a lot of credit for the first goal, and Pröpper had a good game, capped off with the assist for the second. Groß had his best game for ages, drifted in and out as he does but finally looked like the Groß of two seasons ago again.

Locadia did pretty well but always seems to cancel out his good touches and movement with a crap second touch or pass.

Ryan 7

Montoya 8
Burn 8
Dunk 9
Duffy 7
March 6

Stephens 8
Pröpper 8
Groß 7

Locadia 6
Murray 6

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think Maty Ryan's contribution has gone under the radar a bit. Did really well with the ball at his feet to take the pressure off and help us play out from the back.

March did well but loses a point from me for that cock up which really should have cost us a goal. Hopefully he will learn from that, I'm sure it will come with time as he gets used to playing defensively without a full-back behind him.

The double sub was a masterstroke which Potter deserves full credit for, and the movement of Andone and composure of Maupay for their goals were fantastic to see.

Montoya looked back to his best as well, superb first half and was instrumental in the crucial second goal.

The back three were just monstrous, I don't need to bang on about how good they were. I liked the way there was always one of them pushing into the midfield to win the ball back which prevented Watford getting any time or space to create chances. Duffy will need a bit of time to work on his distribution.

Stephens bossed the middle and should take a lot of credit for the first goal, and Pröpper had a good game, capped off with the assist for the second. Groß had his best game for ages, drifted in and out as he does but finally looked like the Groß of two seasons ago again.

Locadia did pretty well but always seems to cancel out his good touches and movement with a crap second touch or pass.

Ryan 7

Montoya 8
Burn 8
Dunk 9
Duffy 7
March 6

Stephens 8
Pröpper 8
Groß 7

Locadia 6
Murray 6
Great point re the CBs - allowed Dale and Davy to press further up the pitch, eliminating the overrunning in midfield we saw last season.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

Ryan 7

Montoya 8
Burn 8
Dunk 9
Duffy 7
March 6

Stephens 8
Pröpper 8
Groß 7

Locadia 6
Murray 6

Good summary thanks.

Do you think Murray is likely to become our "off the bench" option as the season settles down or do you think he'll keep starting? I know he finishes brilliantly, but does the lack of pace negate some of the gaps created by the speedy passing?

Locadia has had a good press in pre-season. I got the impression he didn't deliver as much yesterday. A blip or is he destined to be a sub too?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here