Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Seagull travel next season

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
We've had further correspondence from Paul Barber, and would
pass on as follows

- we will however be looking to invest further in technology and supporter facilities in and around the stadium over the next few seasons which will be designed to spread travel and match day dwell times even further by providing more entertainment and access for fans in and around the stadium before and after matches.

They're building the monorail!!!!!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What’s the “additional subsidy@? Do Seagull Travel get a chunk of the travel money part of the ticket price plus a further subsidy?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
What’s the “additional subsidy@? Do Seagull Travel get a chunk of the travel money part of the ticket price plus a further subsidy?

Think the coach operators get subsidised but that money isn't part of the official travel money so is an "additional subsidy".

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Think the coach operators get subsidised but that money isn't part of the official travel money so is an "additional subsidy".

Hmmmm. Seems like the money they were getting has been rebranded as an additional subsidy.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
UPDATE
email over the weekend from Seagull Travel stating that season ticket (for coach travel) renewals are down by 20% due to the price increase. In my case it has gone from £197 to £248 from Uckfield. For me it is purely for the convenience but the £15.35 price to book 'on the day' will put a lot of people off.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I still can't see the logic when they are continuing the train subsidy or is this the first to lose it and the train subsidy will go next year, with ticket prices remaining the same.

I can see a lot of long standing elderly supporters being priced out now as they are not able to get to the Amex any other way. We use ST from Polegate for night matches in order to guarantee getting home at a reasonable time but the cost for three people on a match by match basis will be £49.05 now.

If a ST has gone up by 26% then match by match will probably be nearer 30% - did they really get that sort of subsidy or are they trying to make a point?

I see you can get to Watford and back for £25 but from Polegate to the Amex and back is £16.35.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I see you can get to Watford and back for £25 but from Polegate to the Amex and back is £16.35.

That is mad - I guess the cost of a coach + driver is a day rate regardless and the fuel is negligible but priced to an every day punter won't appreciate that

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I've renewed my ST season ticket for one of the coaches from Lancing but can't pretend the price increase didn't hurt a bit. Not surprised renewals are down. I think the subsidy removal decision by the club is one of their worst in recent years, just don't get it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I still can't see the logic when they are continuing the train subsidy or is this the first to lose it and the train subsidy will go next year, with ticket prices remaining the same.

I can see a lot of long standing elderly supporters being priced out now as they are not able to get to the Amex any other way. We use ST from Polegate for night matches in order to guarantee getting home at a reasonable time but the cost for three people on a match by match basis will be £49.05 now.

If a ST has gone up by 26% then match by match will probably be nearer 30% - did they really get that sort of subsidy or are they trying to make a point?

Can't see the train/P&R situation changing as they're the primary travel options - charging for either would lead to match day chaos. Imagine the club perhaps subsidise away travel, hence the lack of differential between Polegate and Watford prices ?

Cheshire

Jul 20, 2003
1066 Country
How many people is 20% not renewing? Anyone know? :shrug:

No idea, but based on an estimated number of coaches being 35 - 40 with 35 on each coach then we are looking at 140 -180 regular coach travelers no longer using that option. Small compared to ground attendance, but it goes against the promotion of the coach as being one of the transport options to reduce car usage. It is also no wonder ST are currently looking at withdrawing some routes and merging others, which could make further numbers drop off if more viable pick-up point are no longer available?

From the clubs point of view the coaches have free parking at the ground. So if the club save a little by taking away the travel subsidy on each coach journey, they are still giving free parking for the coaches as a travel subsidy.

Shy Talk

Mar 3, 2012
Brighton
I thought the travel subsidy was a condition of their planning permission, but maybe that was just for public transport? Does anyone recall, or have access to the planning conditions?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
We at North West Sussex Seagulls have also seen price increases for season ticket holders on our match day coaches to the Amex.

For an old codger's season ticket from Cowfold l am now paying 102.00, as opposed to 89 last season. Needles to say we have also lost quite a few regulars for the same reason.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
We at North West Sussex Seagulls have also seen price increases for season ticket holders on our match day coaches to the Amex.

For an old codger's season ticket from Cowfold l am now paying 102.00, as opposed to 89 last season. Needles to say we have also lost quite a few regulars for the same reason.

The problem is that it’s still a very good price for a return trip door to door (under £5.50 per game). I think sometimes we expect too much from our club. It costs that much to park for 2 hours in Brighton.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The problem is that it’s still a very good price for a return trip door to door (under £5.50 per game). I think sometimes we expect too much from our club. It costs that much to park for 2 hours in Brighton.

Indeed, and l'm happy to pay it. If l were to make the same journey by bus, Cowfold to the Amex, changing in central Brighton, it would cost me neary 15.00 return. So no contest really.

Perhaps in introducing this transport subsidy in the first place, the club made a rod for it's own back, and the moment it's withdrawn and prices rise a little, there is an outcry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here