Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Walton

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
OK, fairy nuff. I think the lad needs a bit of stability (as well as a regular first team place) now - it must be a bit unsettling going out on loan all the time, not knowing where you'll be in a few months time. I know we're a business, and shouldn't conduct business on humanitarian grounds, but maybe it is time to let him go - with a huge sell-on clause in case he goes on to become England's regular GK and no.1 at a top 6 club.

I would guess he is thinking about his future and wants something permanent. 4m or more would be good business

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Walton was/is a great prospect !

However he probably needs to bulk up a little bit and be here as back up keeper for a season or so after which he will be ready to make the step up as first choice OR to move on for decent bucks !

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Sadly the thing we will never know is how much he would have improved / progressed if he had not gone out on loan and had our PL coaching team and training facilities to develop him.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Yeah think it might be time to cash in. With a massive sell on fee.

Will be an excellent Championship keeper with a 20 year career but maybe not what we need these days. Other good 'keeper prospects coming through behind him. It really is a position of strength for us I'm sure in no small part to Ben Roberts.

Bingo

Jul 27, 2014
Seaford
Loan or permanent?

08:29

BLACKBURN IN WALTON TALKS
Blackburn are in talks to sign goalkeeper Christian Walton on a season-long loan from Brighton, Sky Sports News understands.
The 23-year-old has spent the past two seasons on loan at Wigan, helping them win the League One title during his first campaign at the DW Stadium.
Blackburn have been looking to bolster their goalkeeping options after allowing David Raya to join Brentford.
Walton, who has been capped by England at U19, U20 and U21 level, has two years remaining on his contract at the Amex Stadium.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think we only considered a sale as part of a deal with Derby for Bogle.

If he isn't sold to Derby, then I reckon it'll be a loan out.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
My feeling about Walton, is that he can pluck a few crosses out of the air and clearly he's a big fella and a decent stopper.

However, is he a "get on the ball and chip it out to a full back on the touchline" type goalie? I don't think so and I'm strongly under the impression that this is what Potter wants.

More generally, our academy has been breeding 6 foot 5 robogoalies. Which I can imagine Hughton would have lapped up, but Potter? I'm not so sure

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
If he went permanently for £3m, it would make the purchase of Button for £3m even more strange. I don’t think Walton is ready for the premier league yet but would still prefer him as our number 2 keeper to Button. It is currently a key area of the squad where we have literally no competition for places in my opinion. To go from Krul and Maenpaa to Button and Steele is a massive downgrade (even with advantages of one additional HGP.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I've always been a big fan of Walton, but I was concerned at Crawley on friday night. He looked clumsy and uncertain, which after two years of regular first team football was a surprise. I thought that he'd be a genuine challenger to be involved in our squad for next season, but he looked a long way short. It was only a very brief appearance and not against particularly good opposition, but that's also part of the concern. He made simple things look difficult and that's always a worry.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
If he went permanently for £3m, it would make the purchase of Button for £3m even more strange. I don’t think Walton is ready for the premier league yet but would still prefer him as our number 2 keeper to Button. It is currently a key area of the squad where we have literally no competition for places in my opinion. To go from Krul and Maenpaa to Button and Steele is a massive downgrade (even with advantages of one additional HGP.

100% this.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've always been a big fan of Walton, but I was concerned at Crawley on friday night. He looked clumsy and uncertain, which after two years of regular first team football was a surprise. I thought that he'd be a genuine challenger to be involved in our squad for next season, but he looked a long way short. It was only a very brief appearance and not against particularly good opposition, but that's also part of the concern. He made simple things look difficult and that's always a worry.

Agreed. Was stood behind the goal an thought much the same.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here