Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] No social media profiles, no US Visa...

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Are you sure? What is that thing you have to fill out before you get off a plane in the US then? Isn't that some sort of visa? Honestly, not sure.
That's a landing card for customs declaration purposes.

If you're only going for a holiday (as plooks pointed out), this doesn't change anything for UK citizens.

Are you sure? What is that thing you have to fill out before you get off a plane in the US then? Isn't that some sort of visa? Honestly, not sure.
The only thing you fill out on a plane now is the customs declaration form. The visa waiver program form used to be done on the plane but has been replaced by the online ESTA form.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Thank you for your order.

You have ordered: double pepperoni with extra pepperoni.

All transactions require confirmation. Please insert your DIGITAL SOUL now.

Please note that this order is not available to certain CATEGORIES of citizens. Please refer to WRONG'UNS.GOV to view the current accepted categories of citizen.

Sorry, no valid soul has been detected, failure to confirm this transaction may result in the submission of a SEARCH QUERY.

Please not that if you are the subject of a search query you may be traced and identified through the government's new innovative FACIAL-RECOGNITION system, situated in all public and commercial buildings.

Because we value your safety.

Have a nice day.

Just laughed so hard I blew my left testicle out my backside. :O

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Would affect 14.7m people per year.
Funny enough, I'm a fraud investigator whose job it is to do thorough social media investigations.

To do a thorough 5 year search over the 'big 3' profiles would take a full day, two if the subject is an extensive social media poster.

In my 6 years in the role, approximately 80% of people between 18-50 have open social media profiles. That 8-11m people to investigate each year, approximately.

So being very conservative, if one thorough 5 year search takes one day, how many people would the US Gov. Need to employ to complete 8-11m searches each year. Insane.

I loved this bit; "We are constantly working to find mechanisms to improve our screening processes to protect US citizens".

I could think of a few better ways than Facebook stalking in order to protect themselves, though from themselves, and not Johnny Foreigner.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
It's their country, so it's their rules. Other countries are available - even English speaking ones.

I don't think it would apply to UK citizens anyway as we don't (currently) need a visa to go there, thanks to the Visa Waiver Program and ESTA.

Ultimately though, their country, their rules.

There country they decide , I don’t have a problem with it. As for visas, as Frutos said UK residents don’t need a visa for 90 day travel.

I wonder what uproar and outrage would be provoked if our government decided to do the same for our country.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Classic NSC thread. Everyone offering opinion but few have clearly actually read up on which types of visas this applies to.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
US immigration is already tiresome enough as it is with its dumb questions. Much more of the same I guess?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
ESTA or visa, they can still insist on the password to your phone when you arrive. True in Canada as well.

Really?

How dumb can they be, my password is xxxxxx thank-you password recorded, walk into public area of airport, change password from xxxxxx to yyyyyyy

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Really?

How dumb can they be, my password is xxxxxx thank-you password recorded, walk into public area of airport, change password from xxxxxx to yyyyyyy

Is it wise to post your current password on NSC?

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
wonder if they will check their presidents social media accounts before he is allowed back in? :)

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Really?

They don't use it for records, they use it to go through your phone before letting you into the country.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here