Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Knockaert and depression

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Other than those of us who repeatedly said after AK's extended shows of grief since his Dad's passing 'the club need to get him to a counsellor asap'.

Not forgetting his brother had died the year (or two years) before that. It's a lot for anyone to work through, let alone a divorce.

Never be worried about asking for help. You wouldn't ignore physical symptoms to see a doctor, so please don't ignore mental symptoms. Booze doesn't help, it makes it worse.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Oh GOD no. What do you mean...unfurling depression banners ?? Honestly, just give the guy the normal support from the stands, the normal chants. We're not a "depression support group" or the Samaritans - we're just fans of BHAFC, there to support the team and the players at a football match. Knocky will get all the help he needs from his team mates, his manager and his counsellor. The best we can do is cheer him on from the stands - not because of his struggles with depression, but because he's one of our best players. Thats all he needs from the fans.

A rousing chorus of ‘we’ve got knockaert’ before kick off will do imo.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Well played Anthony, very well played. Huge respect to the club too. Again.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
What game was it last season where AK was seen driving away before the kick off ? Huddersfield ?

Seems to make a lot more sense now and well done to CH for keeping private.

Hope he gets a massive cheer when the line ups get announced on Saturday

It's been documented that he was popping out to collect some friends before returning and watching the match.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Get over it, Knocky. It's known as life and it's made up of smooth bits and rough bits. Dealing with the rough bits is part of life and doesn't require a public outpouring of grief.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Get over it, Knocky. It's known as life and it's made up of smooth bits and rough bits. Dealing with the rough bits is part of life and doesn't require a public outpouring of grief.

Don't be foolish. Depression is as much an illness as hepatitis or a broken leg.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Wow. Ever had a close friend or family member take their own life due to depression ? I’m guessing not.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
You know what your getting when you see goldstone's made a post in a thread like this.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Odds on Knocky scoring this weekend, you know it’s going to happen :thumbsup:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
You know what your getting when you see goldstone's made a post in a thread like this.
Other than burblings from a vile human being, I disagree. It might be posting EDL lies. It might be decrying the appointment of a black woman to a TV show as tokenism. It might be decrying having an amputee presenting the weather as tokenism. It might be telling someone with mental health issues to "man up". It might be misogynistic posts about the women's team. All of which are "the views of the majority", apparently. You really never know what you are going to get.

[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] must be on the bones of his arse to let this piece of sputum keep coming back.

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
There’s a fair point here, mental illness is and never has been a short period of anxiety, stress or ‘the blues’ and unquestionably in my view there are some who, perhaps due to their, let’s say, desire to always be in the public eye and who can’t wait to talk about at every opportunity in an almost trendy way, are more the former. When this happens it’s enormously damaging because as you allude, people may become indifferent to those who are or even don’t know they’re seriously ill; and require help.

That's true but I think the point the poster was making that we have no idea about what's going on behind the scenes. A player not performing probably isn't due to depression but it might be, or it might be something else they're going through - so it's something we should bear in mind before lambasting them too hard. I'd rather go a bit easy on a player doing badly who isn't depressed than go hard on a player who is.

These are all young men, who are under pressure to perform to their best every week in front of thousands of people plus the world's media as well as often being away from home and family. I don't think I would have coped well in my twenties with half that pressure - to be fair I didn't cope that well with none of that pressure.

Not saying we shouldn't show our frustration with poor play but we should be careful before writing players off completely - which just increases the pressure on them.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

if this interview, the publicity its generated and this line in particular causes a fan or a a fellow professional to seek advice or help then this "public outpouring of grief" by AK will have been worthwile
"So I just want to leave a message to footballers and people in general, that as soon as they go through this, it’s really important to talk to someone and not be scared."

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Doesn’t surprise me at all that lots of footballers have depression as it’s such an insecure and comeptitive industry.
To stay at the top must require a single-mindedness and strength that not everybody has.
In a funny kind of way it must help if you’re thick, which Anthony isn’t.
The money and adulation feel amazing at times, but it probably make the depression worse.
And to deal with this at such a young age.
I doubt the football industry will ever change much though, there’s too much money involved and it is ultimately a hugely successful business.

Anyway, Glad to hear you’re happier now Anthony. You are a credit to Brighton. Even in matches when it’s not happening for you your will to win shines through, putting others to shame. And when it’s your day, you are arguably the best attacking player we’ve ever had.

Ive no doubt in years to come, you’ll be remembered as an Albion great.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Our Department arranged for Clark Carlisle to come and talk to us earlier in the year. An amazing and humbling insight into his on-going battle with depression. He mentioned that many players suffer from it - and he said that many clubs to this day still don't do enough to support their players/employees. I would say quite a few other organisations do not either.

So well played Anthony and also top our special club.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Get over it, goldstone. It's known as sharing and it's sorely needed around this particular area. Dealing with depression is a rough part of life and doesn't require a snide tit on a message board making light of it.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

Comments like this are part of the problem, it implies you can do something about it and it will self mend. Surprised you didn't say 'man up'.

If you broke your leg badly would you just say leave it as it will get better or do you get it treated? If you have depression you need help. Yes some people just get on with it and some just can't cope hence the high numbers of suicides.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here