Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Isle of Man TT (2015)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Seriously scary stuff. This kind of riding is mental on a wide track with haybales on the corners, but on 10 foot wide (public) road with granite walls both sides...........ppfffft.
[MENTION=8]ManxSeagull[/MENTION]........bet I know your father, I used to work for Lloyds Offshore Banking (visited IOM loads too)

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Having watched Closer To The Edge last night, I have a question.

There's 600 & 1000cc bikes, maybe even one more.
But the lap record times are almost identical, less than 2 seconds in it.

So why race different bikes?

600s are supersport, 1,000s are superbikes. Up to 400cc are the lightweights. Bigger the engine, the heavier the machine. 1,000s can run on slicks, 600s on treaded. The 600s are flickable and quicker through the twisty bits. 1,000s just keep pulling. Some riders are better on one over the other. 1,000s have 6 lap races, 600s 4.

Everyone wants a win, but the senior TT at the end of week 2 is the big one.
[MENTION=17389]DarrenFreemansPerm[/MENTION] is right about Guy Martin. The BMW is a missile. A mate knew someone very familiar with superbikes who after test riding one described it as 'spastic mental'.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
The first competitor has died. RIP French rider Franck Petricola, 32.

How nothing went wrong 20 seconds into this I'll never know.

Smith DID score

formerly Harvey's Best
Apr 25, 2009
Worthing
600s are supersport, 1,000s are superbikes. Up to 400cc are the lightweights.

These days the lightweight class is for twin cylinder four strokes up to 650cc, everything else can be - and usually is - up to four cylinder's.

Sounds like tonight conditions were good and more importantly everyone was ok.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
These days the lightweight class is for twin cylinder four strokes up to 650cc, everything else can be - and usually is - up to four cylinder's.

Sounds like tonight conditions were good and more importantly everyone was ok.

Was it Farquhar that won this class on a Kawasaki ER6?

Last edited:

Smith DID score

formerly Harvey's Best
Apr 25, 2009
Worthing
Was it Farquhar that won this class on a Kawasaki ER6?

Yes and effectively Ryan was the guy who invented the class and builds most of the successful bikes that run in it.

Apparently he gets 90-100bhp out of what started out as an ER6.

More incredible is the lap record for the 'Supertwins' is just over 119mph the sort of speeds that the factory Superbikes were doing in the early '90's.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Yes and effectively Ryan was the guy who invented the class and builds most of the successful bikes that run in it.

Apparently he gets 90-100bhp out of what started out as an ER6.

More incredible is the lap record for the 'Supertwins' is just over 119mph the sort of speeds that the factory Superbikes were doing in the early '90's.
Damn, that's a pretty healthy power increase. Probably slightly more involved than a sports can and different size sprocket :lol:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
James Cowton, youngster to watch, you heard it here first.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Pretty jealous of you guys who made it over! Keep the updates coming especially on our Guy!

ManxSeagull

NSC Creator
Jul 5, 2003
Isle of Man
No racing today :-(

Combination of high winds and lack of bed space within ITU at Nobles Hospital was official line given by clerk of the course. Also sadly a helicopter crashed adjacent to the course this morning after dropping off two passengers.. pilot was killed :(

Superbikes tomorrow, side cars now on Monday

Ceej

Feb 1, 2013
Manchester
Having seen Guy's TV programmes I worry for him. Don't get me wrong, hes a massive talent. Think he should stop after this year's TT though and use his nous and branch out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here