Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jay Molumby

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Great move for him - well done Jay!

He sounds delighted:

“I’m absolutely over the moon,” Molumby says.

“I would’ve liked to get here a little bit earlier in fact, but I had a little injury to begin with. But now I’m here, I’m buzzing to get going with the season coming along quickly.

“What I wanted coming into the season was to get out on loan, and Millwall seems the perfect fit for me.”

Molumby talks over his attributes in the middle of the park, and what he can bring to The Lions’ team.

“The Championship is a huge level, and I’m looking forward to the challenge.

“I would describe myself personally as a hardworking midfielder who likes to get on the ball and make tackles, and I like to get forward when I can. If I’m asked to play deeper then I’ll just work hard for the team.

“What you can expect is a bit of passing and a will to win.”

An Irish youth international at various levels for the past six years, the midfielder states that the passion that runs through Millwall appealed to him as it has done with the international scene – and highlights the influence of manager Harris in his arrival.

“To be honest, when I first heard Millwall were interested, I thought about how much of a big club it was to come into. When I spoke to the gaffer, I felt it was important to come here. He was great with me.

“I’m buzzing to play in front of the fans. All around the world, people know how passionate the Millwall fans are and I think that’s the same being Irish – we have that passion too. I’ll work hard and hopefully show them what I can do.

“It’s definitely nice to have fellow Irish lads around me as I settle in here. I can get to know from them more of what the club’s about and it’s great to have the connection with them. With Shaun Williams being a midfielder, he’s particularly someone I can look towards and learn from to try and improve.”

Molumby will be keen to build his fitness following the completion of his move, after skippering Ireland to the Semi-Finals of the Toulon Tournament.

“I’ve been out for three weeks just lately, so I haven’t played in pre-season yet. But I have been playing with the Republic of Ireland U21s in the summer, and that went well.

“I played at the Toulon Tournament, and I thought we did well as a country and a group. We played some brilliant teams, and it was a good experience.”

He finally speaks highly of his first hours at the club, and how well he has been welcomed at Calmont Road.

“It’s been great meeting everyone, meeting the staff and getting my bearings.

“I can’t wait to train with the lads every day and I’m raring to go. It still hasn’t sunk in yet, and I don’t know if it will until I play my first minutes – I’m just buzzing to be here.”

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
The lad has had one very serious (knee) injury. Let's not pigeon-hole him as the new Paul Kitson, just yet :shrug:

It’s because people want to pretend they know everything about our youth players despite knowing the bare minimum about them.

They know he’s talented and he had an injury. Just make assumptions based off that and hope for the best.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
The lad has had one very serious (knee) injury. Let's not pigeon-hole him as the new Paul Kitson, just yet :shrug:

I've not pigeon-holed him at all. You've used other peoples comments to flavour a comment I made before theirs.
People are behaving very strangely at here the moment, more so than usual- hyper sensitive.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;9000240 said:
Great move for him - well done Jay!

He sounds delighted:

“I’m absolutely over the moon,” Molumby says.

“I would’ve liked to get here a little bit earlier in fact, but I had a little injury to begin with. But now I’m here, I’m buzzing to get going with the season coming along quickly.

“What I wanted coming into the season was to get out on loan, and Millwall seems the perfect fit for me.”

Molumby talks over his attributes in the middle of the park, and what he can bring to The Lions’ team.

“The Championship is a huge level, and I’m looking forward to the challenge.

“I would describe myself personally as a hardworking midfielder who likes to get on the ball and make tackles, and I like to get forward when I can. If I’m asked to play deeper then I’ll just work hard for the team.

“What you can expect is a bit of passing and a will to win.”

An Irish youth international at various levels for the past six years, the midfielder states that the passion that runs through Millwall appealed to him as it has done with the international scene – and highlights the influence of manager Harris in his arrival.

“To be honest, when I first heard Millwall were interested, I thought about how much of a big club it was to come into. When I spoke to the gaffer, I felt it was important to come here. He was great with me.

“I’m buzzing to play in front of the fans. All around the world, people know how passionate the Millwall fans are and I think that’s the same being Irish – we have that passion too. I’ll work hard and hopefully show them what I can do.

“It’s definitely nice to have fellow Irish lads around me as I settle in here. I can get to know from them more of what the club’s about and it’s great to have the connection with them. With Shaun Williams being a midfielder, he’s particularly someone I can look towards and learn from to try and improve.”

Molumby will be keen to build his fitness following the completion of his move, after skippering Ireland to the Semi-Finals of the Toulon Tournament.

“I’ve been out for three weeks just lately, so I haven’t played in pre-season yet. But I have been playing with the Republic of Ireland U21s in the summer, and that went well.

“I played at the Toulon Tournament, and I thought we did well as a country and a group. We played some brilliant teams, and it was a good experience.”

He finally speaks highly of his first hours at the club, and how well he has been welcomed at Calmont Road.

“It’s been great meeting everyone, meeting the staff and getting my bearings.

“I can’t wait to train with the lads every day and I’m raring to go. It still hasn’t sunk in yet, and I don’t know if it will until I play my first minutes – I’m just buzzing to be here.”

Talks really doesn't he...very passionate kid!!!

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Great move for the lad. Impressed a Champ club came in after he lost two seasons.
The stand out player in the U23's imo.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
So who are the players at Championship level clubs for 2019/20 so far. Molumby, White, Walton, Tau (somewhere), Mac Allister, the lad who went to RB Leipzig. Anyone else I've missed?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It’s because people want to pretend they know everything about our youth players despite knowing the bare minimum about them.

They know he’s talented and he had an injury. Just make assumptions based off that and hope for the best.

If it’s not posted by [MENTION=1276]AZ Gull[/MENTION] it’s probably not worth reading where the youngsters are concerned

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
A piece on Jay Molumby @ Millwall.

Jayson Molumby has opened up about the injury which slowed his progression – and admits without medical advancements it could have left his career prospects in a very dark place.

The 20-year-old midfielder joined Millwall on loan from Brighton towards the end of July.

Molumby came through the Republic of Ireland youth ranks at the same time as Declan Rice. The pair battled it out for personal accolades.

“I was [FAI] U16 International Player of the Year in 2015,” said Molumby. “At U17s I was nominated and Declan won it. Then again at U19s and he won it again.

“He cleaned up and then left [pledging his international allegiance to England in February]. I wasn’t really happy when he decided to leave…I’m only messing! I know him well. His decision is his decision – whatever is right for him. I respect him and he is a great guy. We used to share a room when we went away with Ireland. We’d always have a bit of a laugh.”

Rice made his Premier League debut in May 2017. For Molumby, just shy of eight months his junior, a serious injury ruled him out for 15 months – only returning in February.

“I had just turned 18 and was kicking on a bit – playing first-team games [in the EFL Cup] for Brighton and I had a dislocation of my knee.

“It is called a knee subluxation – I literally had no ligament holding my knee in place at all. I had to get a hamstring ligament put in there to keep the knee locked in. It’s very stable.

“It is quite a new operation. If it had happened 10 years ago I wouldn’t have been able to get this operation – I’d just have to try and whack my quad up massively to make sure my knee doesn’t go anywhere. But I think it was past that stage, so I would’ve been in a bit of bother.”

Molumby points out the slight bulge to his right knee – which is the replacement ligament.

“It was probably just as bad as an ACL injury – because of the length of time I was out,” he said. “But with the ACL they have got such good research. With this surgery it is quite new.

“An ACL is an easier procedure because of the amount of studies they have done. It is always a risk but thankfully it is going well so far and I feel good.”

Molumby captained Ireland’s U21s in March.

“For that to happen in my first game back was huge for me,” he said. “Before that everything goes through your head – just doubts.

“You see others around you doing well and you know you were maybe above them, but now they are getting recognition. That’s extremely hard. You have to be mentally tough and have good people around you to get through it.”

Molumby was named as one of the top four players at this summer’s Toulon Tournament. Stephen Kenny’s side finished fourth after losing to Mexico on penalties in their semi-final. Molumby skippered them for four of their five fixtures.
His heat map for one of those seemed to be all over the pitch.

“For Ireland I played in an eight role and that is up and down, up and down,” he said. “It is a lot on the body. With Brighton I have played as a central defensive midfielder – ticking things over and breaking up play. I’m happy to do either, I feel I can do both – box-to-box or just sitting in.”

Molumby was playing for Railway Athletic – a local team in Waterford – before being selected to represent his county.

“I managed to get a game for Ireland U15s and the scouts came to those international friendlies,” he recalls. “There were a few clubs who wanted me to trial and I did that for about a year and a half. I went to Celtic, Villa, Birmingham, Blackburn and West Brom. But Brighton, with their location and plans they had for me, seemed a really good idea.

“The connection to Ireland was pretty big – Chris Hughton had coached for Ireland and the head of the academy was Irish, he’d worked for the FAI. It felt homely and welcoming.

“I would’ve liked to have got out on loan earlier but the injury stopped me. I’m 20 now and need to start getting first-team football under my belt.

“Millwall is a big club. I know about the fans and the atmosphere that can happen when everything is going, that’s what I’m about. I love that type of thing. They are passionate and being Irish I’m passionate too.

“Playing against Millwall can be intimidating, definitely, but the crowd will look after you and respect you if you give 100 per cent.”

If Molumby could start one away game this season, which one would it be?

“I don’t want to get too cheeky,” he said. “Charlton, we’ll say Charlton. I was going to say West Ham, but I don’t think that will happen.

“But Charlton will be a good derby, a good atmosphere. That will be a big game.”

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/...ng-injury-and-why-he-joined-millwall-on-loan/

From tonight's 1-0 U-21 victory over Armenia in Dublin
Screenshot_20190906-214722.png

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Tune in to where?

Three Albion players in an international team is something I wouldn't mind watching, if it's available to watch anywhere.
Sky, I think they have rights to the Nations League.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here