Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Johnson or Hunt?

Who would you vote for as next leader of the Tory party and Prime Minister?

• Boris Johnson

Votes: 86 41.1%
  • Jeremy Hunt

Votes: 123 58.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
"Boris couldn't run a whelk stall" - Ken Clarke

That, with a gun to my head, he'd be about 0.00001% preferable to Hunt the ***t is terrrifying.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
We are beyond screwed no matter what happens in the short term. Johnson, Hunt, Corbyn, Swanson, Farage WTF did we do to deserve this? The mother of all Hobson's choices....

Expect the pound to be worth about 50 cents in a couple of years. If Boris hasn't started a war by then...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Really, do we have to go over this again?

Voting for local MP, at GE, not the leader and therefore the PM, etc etc etc. That is how our democracy has been set-up. I have no idea how long since we had anything else, or when there was any difference between the UK parties on this one.

We don't have to go over that again, but for your benefit it does appear we do have to go over again his brazen hypocrisy - have a look at what he wrote when Gordon Brown was made PM.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Trump in charge of the USA, Boris in charge of the UK.

Scary. It's like giving two monkeys the keys to a Tank.

I often wonder just how we got to this. The world is a pretty stupid place at the moment, and politics has just become a shit-fest of blatant lies and denials.

Something bad is going to happen. I don't know what, but this is all a precursor to something awful.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
We don't have to go over that again, but for your benefit it does appear we do have to go over again his brazen hypocrisy - have a look at what he wrote when Gordon Brown was made PM.

Welcome to the hypocrisy of being in opposition vs being on the Government benches. Really is nothing new, and not even close to being unique to Boris.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Shame Yeltsin wasn't still around to lead Russia, him, plus Johnson for the UK and Trump for USA, what a trio that would make.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Funny how Johnson has forgotten this:

Don't they always - when something isn't in their favour. It's exactly the same as the US, you can find however many clips you can stomach of prominent Republicans who held a very firm belief when Obama was president, which has totally turned since the orangefella has been in power.

I don't like either candidate but the unfairly elected thing bugs me. Those are the conservative party rules. The same thing happened when Blair retired. No-one except labour party members could vote for Brown as PM.

I also thought that was fundamentally wrong - if the leading party wants to change their leader, there should be a General Election called. That's my opinion. In this case, keep Theresa May as PM and let the newly elected leader campaign as the Conservative candidate and let them battle it out with Labour. I don't like the idea that either Johnson or Hunt will inherit the PM job but it's not just because neither man is, in my opinion, worthy. Both are career politicians who have shown a lack of interest in the cabinet positions they have held, because their focus is on getting into number 10. Hunt couldn't be making that any clearer than he has done recently with the Iran shambles.

Really, do we have to go over this again?

Voting for local MP, at GE, not the leader and therefore the PM, etc etc etc. That is how our democracy has been set-up. I have no idea how long since we had anything else, or when there was any difference between the UK parties on this one.

You don't have to if you don't want to. As mentioned, I know how it works. I don't agree with it. It's not going to change, so there it is.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This. Johnson will hasten the collapse of the Tory Party and Brexit. It's easy for Johnson to spout his lies & general misinformation away from a position of responsibility - although when he was head of FCO, it didn't particularly hold him back. Once he's in power, it's a very different game. The more pragmatic tories will resign the whip or at least defy it if Johnson keeps to his word and attempts to push through his 'come what may' plan. Johnson is ****ed. The Tories are ****ed. Having said all that, Johnson has such solid form for being disingenuous, it would come as no huge surprise were he to change his position once in power. He was only a leaver immediately pre referendum for personal & political expedience.

Team Boris all the way.....

its a massive risk, hoping on this idea he'll reverse ferret once in office. does he benefit from that politically, can he carry his support, would the advisors around him believe so too?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Welcome to the hypocrisy of being in opposition vs being on the Government benches. Really is nothing new, and not even close to being unique to Boris.

Yes hypocrisy in politics is nothing new but if you can give an example of hypocrisy quite as brazen as slaughtering the government of the day for introducing a new PM without the mandate of a GE in a magazine article from the opposition benches and then being the beneficiary of exactly that a few years later, I'd love to hear about it.

The sad thing is that such people are simply never held to account for their hypocrisy. It just gets lost.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
If I HAD to vote for one of them, I would probably have to shoot myself rather than being associated with putting one of these idiots into power

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Yes hypocrisy in politics is nothing new but if you can give an example of hypocrisy quite as brazen as slaughtering the government of the day for introducing a new PM without the mandate of a GE in a magazine article from the opposition benches and then being the beneficiary of exactly that a few years later, I'd love to hear about it.

The sad thing is that such people are simply never held to account for their hypocrisy. It just gets lost.

Sorry, better things to do, than look up exact examples, but it is what politicians do. They say one thing, but then do something completely different. Or do exactly what they criticised previously.

Off the top of my head, how about Corbyn defending his meetings with PLO, Hamas, IRA, because you have to have dialogue with people you disagree with, then refusing to be part of meetings on Brexit because Chuka Umunna was going to be there. They all do it. They say whatever suits them, whenever it suits them.

Maybe I'm just growing tired of the whole nonsense, and you are absolutely right, they are NEVER held to account.

Last edited:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I think I'd go Boris as I think the best thing that can happen re: Brexit now is for a Brexiteer to take charge and **** things up beyond repair. Someone really, really stupid but also really Brexity.

Boris is our man.

Same reason for me. The country is screwed if we leave, even with a deal, so, the best option is someone who has no chance of delivering any kind of Brexit, so Article 50 is the only course of action.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
As someone who has actually cast their vote in this leadership election, it was indeed a difficult choice, faced with two such capable candidates.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
It has to be Johnson in order for us to truly hit Rock Bottom and then - following the inevitable failure to Brexit in October and ensuing election - maybe hopefully find a way to start clawing back some shreds of sanity.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
It has to be Johnson in order for us to truly hit Rock Bottom and then - following the inevitable failure to Brexit in October and ensuing election - maybe hopefully find a way to start clawing back some shreds of sanity.

You know what, I thought the US had hit Rock Bottom with George W Bush, but just when you think you've hit the lows, you realise, "oh now, you haven't seen anything yet."

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Johnson won't be running things. He'll be the figure head. The bumbling cuddly oddity that folk will warm to. Expect more eccentricity.

Meanwhile the Tory right will operate behind him. Pulling the levers. That is his debt to them.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think the best hing that can happen re: Brexit now is for a Brexiteer to take charge and **** things up beyond repair. Someone really, really stupid but also really Brexity.
You've got my attention - talk me through the plan.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here