Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Would a Boris Johnson PM gives the Tories are wider appeal?

How would you vote if a Boris Johnson PM called a election?

• I’ll still vote Tory

Votes: 24 14.7%
  • I’ll still vote Brexit/UKIP

Votes: 8 4.9%
  • I’ll still vote Lab/Lib/other

Votes: 101 62.0%
  • Switching from Brexit/UKIP to Tory

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • Switching from Lab/Lib/other to Tory

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Switching from Tory to Brexit/UKIP

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Switching from Tory to Lab/Lib/other

Votes: 20 12.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
As I'd sooner lie face down choking in my own blood than vote Tory in a national election it doesn't affect me.

What does concern me is that a person who has been sacked twice for dishonesty, has lied to his own MPs about what he intends to do, supported membership of the EU then rejected it for his own political ends, put forward a £10b tax cut for the richest in society, pissed off a load of nations while Foreign Secretary, sucked up to Mr Trump, avoided any form of meaningful debate and is disliked by so many of the people who have worked him with has got anywhere near the job.

I can use long and amusing Shakespearean monologues. It doesn't mean I am fit to run this country.

I honestly think that is Johnson advocated the extermination of inferior genetics there are people who would still vote for him. I thought when Trump was elected in the USA it would never happen here. He's nowhere near as bad but we have certainly opened that path.

Imagine the thumping majority Labour would have if David Miliband had got the job all those years back...

Last edited:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
As I'd sooner lie face down choking in my own blood than vote Tory in a national election it doesn't affect me.

What does concern me is that a person who has been sacked twice for dishonesty, has lied to his own MPs about what he intends to do, supported membership of the EU then rejected it for his own political ends, put forward a £10b tax cut for the richest in society, pissed off a load of nations while Foreign Secretary, sucked up to Mr Trump, avoided any form of meaningful debate and is disliked by so many of the people who have worked him with has got anywhere near the job.

I can use long and amusing Shakespearean monologues. It doesn't mean I am fit to run this country.
Yes but have you made loads of racist comments and cheated on every woman you've been in a relationship with?

There are standards you know.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I’ve voted Conservative in all of the four general elections since I turned 18. Even in local elections, I’ve never voted for any other party. But there is no way in hell I would vote for them with Boris Johnson as leader. The man is revolting.

Assuming four elections since you turned 18 then you are no older than 35.

Unfortunately it seems that older Tories lose their marbles earlier.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I’m 32 so voted for them in 2005, 2010, 2015 and 2017. The thought of Corbyn as PM is just as nauseating as Johnson, so I guess I’ll have to vote Lib Dem next time.

I think the Conservative membership is making a huge mistake here. The old duffers are so out of touch they genuinely think Johnson is charismatic and popular. Maybe he was 15 years ago but he’s definitely not now and hasn’t been for a long time. I haven’t met anyone of any political persuasion with a good word to say about him. I think they’ll get battered in the next general election with him at the helm.
Grey vote is actually a thing unfortunately.

If Stormzy was the Labour leader they'd piss it as young people would actually vote.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I voted Labour last GE because Peter Kyle is such a good MP. If the parties did that kind of stitch up there is no way I would vote for any of them. If they want to do that then merge and become one party - don't corrupt the democratic process. If they did that and I voted for Peter Kyle I'd also be supporting the Lib Dems and that is NEVER going to happen.

Our democratic process is so broken and corrupted already a little bit more collusion would hardly be noticed

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Couldn’t vote Tory with Johnson as the leader (though, tbf, I’ve never yet voted Tory anyway); couldn’t vote Labour with Corbyn. Couldn’t not vote.

Leaves me with Lib Dem, I guess. Though I would seriously consider spoiling my ballot paper.

The two main parties are currently an utter disgrace; both unfit to govern. But one of them will win the next GE.

I’m firmly on the hamster wheel of doom.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Couldn’t vote Tory with Johnson as the leader (though, tbf, I’ve never yet voted Tory anyway); couldn’t vote Labour with Corbyn. Couldn’t not vote.

Leaves me with Lib Dem, I guess. Though I would seriously consider spoiling my ballot paper.

The two main parties are currently an utter disgrace; both unfit to govern. But one of them will win the next GE.

I’m firmly on the hamster wheel of doom.

well, if the tories lose it will almost certainly be to a coalition, and I can't see how the junior parties would accept Corbyn as PM. So prob a lot of uncertainty

But Boris would win. He would have the same appeal as Trump in many ways, and although a lot of senior sensible tories would say they couldn't support him, just like in the states it won't matter. And for all his faults Boris is not as detestable as Trump.

No, people just like it when a party leader tells them everything is going to be amazing. It worked for Blair, it will work for Boris

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
I sincerely believe that Boris is no buffoon but a calculating lying nasty piece of goods .
Of course he will not be the first PM to be a wicked man but the most venal in my lifetime,

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i cant see why or how. except, and here's a novel idea, through a popular manifesto. the next Conservative manifesto wont resemble a essay on rock formations in the cretaceous. :yawn:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I'm rather keen on a scenario that involves Johnson becoming PM and then losing not only the General Election but actually his own constituency (where his majority halved at the last GE). I would wake up on the Friday morning after this happened a very happy little bunny, and I don't think I'd be the only one.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I sincerely believe that Boris is no buffoon but a calculating lying nasty piece of goods .
Of course he will not be the first PM to be a wicked man but the most venal in my lifetime,

He’s not stupid but, like Rees-Mogg, he’s nowhere near as clever as he thinks he is, or as others think he is.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Since Teressa May has decide to go she actual performed much better at PMQ although I voted to stay I do think we should have voted for TM deal so I thank Labour MPs who want Brexit for giving me Boris.

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
No, but if you're a Tory strategist, he's perfect.

Just a hypothesis and I could be wildly wrong but I can see the following happening:

1) BoJo made PM; makes electoral pact with the Brexit Party to secure their vote
2) Calls snap election before October 31st
3) Returns a Tory majority to the HoC and the Brexit Party largely pushed aside and Labour likely to lose a few seats opp Narf.
4) Attempts negotiations with EU, realises that they will not budge.
5) Attempts to pass May's deal, if passes Boris has delivered. If not, Boris could well post-pone Brexit in order to find a compromise.

This would give the Tories plenty of time without the worry of the Brexit party in any immediate elections and Labour could be in an identity crisis. BoJo whilst has sounded no deal, he hasn't been as full on as Hunt. Which makes me wonder about what's going on in the background and it there's a plan.

Clearly I could be completely wrong and the buffoon does genuinely lead us to a hard brexit. However, based on the recent tory debate and the way Labour are at the moment. Prime time for an election.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Bojo did a decent enough job as Mayor of London, think he’ll be a breath of fresh air as PM after the spineless Theresa May !

As with all this crap , it depends on which spin you listen too.

Some say was shit and include stats

Some say was ok and include stats.

Personally , I think he was poor and in some things diabolical but media in this country covers a lot of it and he gets an easier ride off the public as he is apparently funny. That's why he will prob gain support.

Not for me Clive

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here