Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Please recommend a chromebook for school

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I took my daughter to Curry's and came away with an Acer R13 64GB for just shy of £400. It has touch screen, a decent keyboard and is pretty fast. They have refurbished ones on eBay for £280.
Thanks. I've seen that some of them have a touch screen. What's that all about? I obviously know what it is, but since laptops (and chromebooks) have a mouse or pad they don't generally have touchscreens to duplicate the functionality. Is it that it's become reasonably cheap to add the functionality, and makes it easier to use? Does your daughter use the touchscreen much?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Some Chromebooks can fold over to prop-up like a tablet, hence the touchscreen function. Personally I don't like having fingerprints all over my laptop screen, so its not something I find I use very much on mine. But it is actually quite decent for browsing (say) NSC if you're away from your desk and don't want to use the touchpad.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Thanks. I've seen that some of them have a touch screen. What's that all about? I obviously know what it is, but since laptops (and chromebooks) have a mouse or pad they don't generally have touchscreens to duplicate the functionality. Is it that it's become reasonably cheap to add the functionality, and makes it easier to use? Does your daughter use the touchscreen much?

Definitely definitely definitely get a touchscreen - it's just so much easier to use than fiddling with a stupid trackpad for everything.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Definitely definitely definitely get a touchscreen - it's just so much easier to use than fiddling with a stupid trackpad for everything.
Thanks. We wouldn't really use the trackpad anyway, we'd use a wireless mouse, but if the touchscreen makes it that much easier, we'll try.

So I think we're after a 13 or 14" chromebook with a touchscreen.

SAC

May 21, 2014

The screen folds over so it can be used without the keyboard. She uses the touchscreen all of the time unless actually typing, just like you would on a phone or tablet. I think the touchscreen is more natural for younger people.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
The screen folds over so it can be used without the keyboard. She uses the touchscreen all of the time unless actually typing, just like you would on a phone or tablet. I think the touchscreen is more natural for younger people.

My home laptop has the foldy-over thing, but we never use it. We do however use the touchscreen all the time (as I do on my work laptop too). The only hazard is greasy fingerprints...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here