Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan - analysis & discussion

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Ryan seems to be coming in for so unfair criticism, not too sure what else he could have done with any of the chances conceded this season. Results will come if we keep playing the same way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not Ryan's fault at all.

Just wish we hadn't done the political substitution at the end. No way was it Bong's fault but if we hadn't done the change I think we would have won. It doesn't take much to change the outcome.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Ryan seems to be coming in for so unfair criticism, not too sure what else he could have done with any of the chances conceded this season. Results will come if we keep playing the same way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Some team structural stability is evident, but not quite there yet . . . I agree however, a regular 11 with confidence etc is where Burnley are, and we're not, yet. They got a point they didn't deserve, we threw 2 away we earned the hard way.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
His shots on target to goals against ratio is shocking since he returned from the Asian cup.

He ended last season with 60% as goals scored.

This season is not much better.

Today - 1 shot. 1 goal.
Man city - 6 shots. 4 goals.
Saints - 4 shots. 2 goals.
West ham - 3 shot. 1 goal.
Watford - 3 shots. 0 goals.

17 shots on target. 8 goals. 47% goals against for on target shots.

Love maty. But save one.

Of course though, it's also entirely his fault that his defence allow these other teams to get shots on target in the first place!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ryan has faced a total of 17 shots on target this season and has conceded 8 times. I’d suggest that there weren’t many, if any, he SHOULD have saved but it doesn’t make good reading

As a team we have had 17 shots on target and scored 5 times this season

Last edited:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Perhaps we’ve just been unlucky with the accuracy of the goals we’ve conceded, I don’t remember a single goal I’ve seen that Ryan ‘should have saved’ a goalkeepers job is exceptionally tough because unless the ball goes in the top bins people will always say ‘he could have saved that’

It was a a sweet strike from Hendrick, just got to accept it, it’s one of them things that can happen in sport totally undeserved but that’s football.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Perhaps we’ve just been unlucky with the accuracy of the goals we’ve conceded, I don’t remember a single goal I’ve seen that Ryan ‘should have saved’ a goalkeepers job is exceptionally tough because unless the ball goes in the top bins people will always say ‘he could have saved that’

It was a a sweet strike from Hendrick, just got to accept it, it’s one of them things that can happen in sport totally undeserved but that’s football.

Aye..it’s almost as if some are morning the opposition should be allowed to have more shots on our goal ..only seen the three home games so far this season and can’t think he is to blame for any

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Not Ryan's fault at all.

Just wish we hadn't done the political substitution at the end. No way was it Bong's fault but if we hadn't done the change I think we would have won. It doesn't take much to change the outcome.

This exactly, we had five defenders on and one missing in midfield where Hendricks was roaming free. I also agree that Bongs introduction was to do with the Rodriguez appearence and the crap he got from the fans.
A poor substitution in my opinion by GP

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
This exactly, we had five defenders on and one missing in midfield where Hendricks was roaming free. I also agree that Bongs introduction was to do with the Rodriguez appearence and the crap he got from the fans.
A poor substitution in my opinion by GP

Although you can’t blame the substitution for the goal, it did feel like an unnecessary distraction for a game so finely balanced. The goal came almost immediately after Bong came on and Rodriguez got to celebrate it. I’m sure the fact that Bong had just walked on the pitch would not have been lost on him. Karma was missing yesterday.

Tiptop24

Jan 23, 2007
Chicago, USA
Of course though, it's also entirely his fault that his defence allow these other teams to get shots on target in the first place!

If anything, it compliments the defence that we allow so few shots on target.

I’m a Maty fan. Love the excitement and passion he brings, but ultimately his job is to help win games. At the moment, and since February, he hasn’t stepped up when needed. That’s not to say he should be saving ALL shots on target, but he needs to be making a save or two which turns a game around. You also have to consider that some of these “shots” on target might be tricklers too.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

We had a similar chance end of the first half that Murray just didn't hit as sweetly as Hendrick's strike. Those are the margins.

I think we all know that breaking from midfield, 20+ yards out, other than Gross, we just don't have players that could strike the ball sweetly as Hendrick did. We don't seem to score those type of goals*.

*awaits evidence of us scoring those types of goals...

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Interestingly I was reading an article on We Are Brighton, Ryan has had 17 shots on goal and picked out of the net 8 times this season.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Interestingly I was reading an article on We Are Brighton, Ryan has had 17 shots on goal and picked out of the net 8 times this season.

And we have had 17 shots on target and scored 5 goals this season. Given that we scored 3 from 3 against Watford, you can see where the biggest problem lies

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
And we have had 17 shots on target and scored 5 goals this season. Given that we scored 3 from 3 against Watford, you can see where the biggest problem lies

Absolutely. Don't disagree, I said on the Saturday thread I believe, we cannot score goals.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Absolutely. Don't disagree, I said on the Saturday thread I believe, we cannot score goals.

Not sure about that against West Ham we should have scored 4 we created plenty and wasted our chances, against Southampton we were down to 10 and still should have got a point out the game, Burnley with March on the wrong side Burn at LWB and without our best creative player (Trossard) was always going to be a game of few chances, Burnley are an exceptionally strong defensive unit, ugly but effective.

Perhaps I’m wrong but I feel we’ve created quite a lot, especially comparing it to last season.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Not sure about that against West Ham we should have scored 4 we created plenty and wasted our chances, against Southampton we were down to 10 and still should have got a point out the game, Burnley with March on the wrong side Burn at LWB and without our best creative player (Trossard) was always going to be a game of few chances, Burnley are an exceptionally strong defensive unit, ugly but effective.

Perhaps I’m wrong but I feel we’ve created quite a lot, especially comparing it to last season.

Yes we created but with no end product. Anyway I'm happy, football is enjoyable, we just need a killer touch. 5 in, not panicking.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Maty is very reliable. He never lets a weak shot squirm past him, he never spills a bouncing ball, he never gets tackled mucking around with it, he never passes it straight to the oppo, he’s never caught in no mans land. And his decision making and concentration are consistently good.

Probably there isn’t another keeper we’ve had who you could say all that about.

However, it’s a fair point, made by a few on this thread, that it’s been a good while since he made a save you thought he’d never get to. His distribution is competent, if not spectacular, he never comes for crosses, (which is ok as our centre back battery know it’s always their job to clear crosses, but it wouldn’t half take the pressure off sometimes if we had someone who could do this).

All in all, he’s about right for our level, I would say. I don’t think any keeper would have saved Hendrick’s shot. But I do think it’s a shame that Walton and Sanchez are at least a year off offering him genuine competition. Button and Steele are never going to seriously challenge him for a place.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here